Elite: Dangerous

Off topic discussion. Talk about gaming and life in general. Be awesome to each other.
Narf the Mouse

Re: Elite: Dangerous

Post by Narf the Mouse »

Ended up taking a more lucrative mission at the destination. Since shipping basic medicine was my own idea, not a mission, no penalty.

Hmm...Are my ears getting larger?

Anyway, one thing I've noticed already is, they won't tell you something is smuggling. They'll just put a high mission pay on something not worth that much, and let you check (or not).
Previous experience tells me it's very easy to misunderstand the tone, intent, or meaning of what I've posted. If you have questions, ask.

Narf the Mouse

Post by Narf the Mouse »

New post because my previous post was a while a go.

For future reference, if you select a route in the galaxy map, does the blue target dot to the left of your radar show the final destination, or the first star in the route?
Previous experience tells me it's very easy to misunderstand the tone, intent, or meaning of what I've posted. If you have questions, ask.

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

If you set a route on galaxy map the blue dot is your next link in chain.

But if you then select anything else (local station, any other star, point of interest, etc.) the target will switch to that instead. You'll need to go back into galaxy map to toggle back to route again. Sometimes, I need to clear the route and set it up again to get the next star destination over whatever I had selected earlier.

Oh, and be sure to have "fastest" set on the first galaxy map tab. This will give you as few hops as possible.

jman0war

Post by jman0war »

I had my eye on Elite Dangerous but then found Star Citizen.
I haven't actually bought it but, maybe someday.
Find my Vibrant Terrain Flats mod at Nexusmods: https://www.nexusmods.com/daggerfalluni ... ?tab=files

Narf the Mouse

Post by Narf the Mouse »

Interkarma wrote:If you set a route on galaxy map the blue dot is your next link in chain.

But if you then select anything else (local station, any other star, point of interest, etc.) the target will switch to that instead. You'll need to go back into galaxy map to toggle back to route again. Sometimes, I need to clear the route and set it up again to get the next star destination over whatever I had selected earlier.

Oh, and be sure to have "fastest" set on the first galaxy map tab. This will give you as few hops as possible.
Thanks. I have found out that if your fastest route ends in a dotted line, that's the point you run out of fuel, and you should switch to "economical" and have a fuel scoop.

Either that, or plot it yourself to refuel at stations.

Suppose it also depends on whether you're exploring, or within settled space.

Also, I blew up Robin Hood. ...He wasn't as nice as the stories say.

...Maybe he wasn't the real Robin Hood?

Something I didn't find out from the internet: You can actually pay off your loans, sort of, sideways: if you upgrade the loaned module (or downgrade, I suppose), you can pay off the loan on that module at the same time. The price to sell the old one or store it is the same; I imagine it gets pre-adjusted for the loan amount.

I saw a number of posts about "hard to make money in this game"; I dunno if the prices for some missions went upward, or if they just took low-paying jobs, but it's really not that hard to make a few hundred thousand in the first few hours of play.

Star Citizen also looks good, and maybe also like they're going for a deeper experience. Right now, ED is hard enough, and fun, and not sure I want to play "even more deadly survival simulator". ;)

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

You can leave routing on fast and scoop as needed. Remember the acronym KGB FOAM for scoopable star types. If you find yourself in some badlands (a long string of dwarfs, etc. you can't scoop) reroute to the nearest scoopable star at about 40-50% fuel and then return to route.

You can also boost your FSD a few ways (neutron stars, white dwarves, and engineering synthesis). That can make trip even shorter, if a bit riskier. Good to have an engineering boost or two up your sleeve to get out of trouble.

I stick in a 6A fuel scoop on my explorer runs. You can scoop half a tank in seconds. For tourism missions, that module space is dedicated to passenger cabins so I use a smaller 3B scoop instead. Takes longer, but still gets the job done.

Saving for a bigger ship. Those high-end ships are expensive.

Narf the Mouse

Post by Narf the Mouse »

Interkarma wrote:You can leave routing on fast and scoop as needed. Remember the acronym KGB FOAM for scoopable star types. If you find yourself in some badlands (a long string of dwarfs, etc. you can't scoop) reroute to the nearest scoopable star at about 40-50% fuel and then return to route.

You can also boost your FSD a few ways (neutron stars, white dwarves, and engineering synthesis). That can make trip even shorter, if a bit riskier. Good to have an engineering boost or two up your sleeve to get out of trouble.

I stick in a 6A fuel scoop on my explorer runs. You can scoop half a tank in seconds. For tourism missions, that module space is dedicated to passenger cabins so I use a smaller 3B scoop instead. Takes longer, but still gets the job done.

Saving for a bigger ship. Those high-end ships are expensive.
Yeah, I know. :) Don't have a fuel scoop, though; bought an additional 2T cargo space. Increases my cargo space by 50%.

Got interdicted by a pirate; almost blew him up before he jumped out. :D

Contract to deliver Indium to Maine Hub got changed to Serebrov Station at the last moment, but on the bright side, the system was well within my jump range, I got a +50% bonus, and the database lists Serebrov Station as having every single service. Which it seems like it.

Edit: Serebrov Station: Every service, no useful missions.

Narf the Mouse

Post by Narf the Mouse »

The people who label conflict zones and combat mission danger are lying liars who lie.

"Harmless" and "Low Conflict" does not mean "Deadly pilots in frigates"!

Anyway, lost 50K CR buying my ship back a few times.

Learned some things about combat other than the obvious, too. And managed a +22% increase in my combat rating, despite.

Also, I can now do decent landings and takoffs much of the time. :)

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

I'm quite terrible at combat. Definitely more the peaceful trader/transporter/miner kind of space-guy. :)

I must come back to combat later and try to skill up. There are some fun looking bounty and base assault missions I'm currently leaving on the table.

Narf the Mouse

Post by Narf the Mouse »

Interkarma wrote:I'm quite terrible at combat. Definitely more the peaceful trader/transporter/miner kind of space-guy. :)

I must come back to combat later and try to skill up. There are some fun looking bounty and base assault missions I'm currently leaving on the table.
I'm definitely getting a proper HOTAS setup. For one thing, the throttle on my current joystick is a tiny lever on the back of the joystick, and therefore very finicky. And a pair of pedals, since while it's got twist to roll, that's kind of annoying to deal with, since most of the time, you don't want to roll.

Also, a programmable gamepad sounds like a good idea, too. A full keyboard pretty much gets in the way of a good joystick, but that's not been a factor for a while.