Elite: Dangerous

Off topic discussion. Talk about gaming and life in general. Be awesome to each other.
Narf the Mouse

Re: Elite: Dangerous

Post by Narf the Mouse »

Cartographic data doesn't seem to sell for much. OTOH, not much work to get, either. But is semi-random to get it, if you're just doing cargo runs.
Previous experience tells me it's very easy to misunderstand the tone, intent, or meaning of what I've posted. If you have questions, ask.

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

The exploration data can really add up over time, especially once you make discovery credit on a few objects. If you kit out an explorer build and jump out into the black with an advanced discovery scanner and detailed surface scanner, you can rake in millions in explorer data (tens of millions for a trip to Colonia or Sag A* and back).

I've only journeyed about 5k Ly outside bubble and back. Made around 2.5 million credits on data with a few dozen first to discover bonuses. One of these days, I'm going to push my little Asp Explorer up to around 45+ Ly per jump and ride the neutron superhighway all the way to Colonia. :D

Narf the Mouse

Post by Narf the Mouse »

Interkarma wrote:The exploration data can really add up over time, especially once you make discovery credit on a few objects. If you kit out an explorer build and jump out into the black with an advanced discovery scanner and detailed surface scanner, you can rake in millions in explorer data (tens of millions for a trip to Colonia or Sag A* and back).

I've only journeyed about 5k Ly outside bubble and back. Made around 2.5 million credits on data with a few dozen first to discover bonuses. One of these days, I'm going to push my little Asp Explorer up to around 45+ Ly per jump and ride the neutron superhighway all the way to Colonia. :D
Can you sell to multiple star systems, or is data from farther out worth more, or both?
Previous experience tells me it's very easy to misunderstand the tone, intent, or meaning of what I've posted. If you have questions, ask.

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

You can sell exploration data to pretty much any station (must be >20Ly from scan point though). You get paid on every system/object you scan, with a bonus for being the first one to discover objects. Once you get 1000+ Ly out it's easy to find undiscovered systems and tag everything in them. A few days out in the black can be quite rewarding.

Make sure you have an Advanced Discovery Scanner bound to one of your fire groups and get in the reflex of honking every system you enter. When you start exploring outside the bubble you'll need a Detailed Surface Scanner as well for full discovery credit. It will also come in handy locating planetary materials for engineers.

I really love the process of packing for a big trip way out past the bubble. Just me and my ship, no stations anywhere if I mess up. I might land on a little moon a few thousand Ly out and dismiss the ship. Watching it fly away into orbit leaving me totally alone on the surface in my SRV is a little frightening (in a fun way).

Narf the Mouse

Post by Narf the Mouse »

It's been a while since I played, but I now have an Adder. :)

Promptly upgraded the cargo space, power, FTL, and thrusters. Got a ~15LY max range. :) Also remembered to stick my old stuff in storage - Although there wasn't all that much to store. Core Internals can't be swapped. Fortunately, it looks like I got full value when I sold my old Sidewinder.

Anyway, at Haberlandt Depot, but not much in the way of missions right now, and it's late, so signing off.

Maybe I'll even try multi-play! My docking is up to "not generally terrible".

And I totally blame the confusing placement of that "01" for scraping the paint on this station. :p :lol:

What's docking like with a larger ship? I understand you have to pay more attention to what missions you take, to make sure you can dock at the destination?

Edit2: What's Edit!? Grammar error. What grammar error? Exactly! Anyway, the mission desks have stopped sneering at me, so evidently I've proven myself. If barely. ...Evidently they don't care about the occasional paint dent. Heh.

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

For a while now, I've been chipping away ~1k light years every couple of days in my heavily engineered Dolphin. Last weekend, I finally made it to the centre of the galaxy. Took a space-selfie a safe distance from Sagittarius A*.
sagastar.jpg
sagastar.jpg (68.82 KiB) Viewed 3398 times
Along the way, I had a blast exploring, finding interest places to land and taking screenshots of things in front of things. Rolling out in my SRV and watching alien sunsets is a particular joy for me. From inside the SRV at the helm, this is amazing in VR.
aliensunset.jpg
aliensunset.jpg (129.18 KiB) Viewed 3398 times
I've also made discovery credit on some beautiful systems. For example, this earth-like world now has my name on it in game. Anyone who happens upon it will see "first discovered by Interkarma".
elwdiscovery.jpg
elwdiscovery.jpg (98.97 KiB) Viewed 3398 times
I have since pushed through back to Colonia and outfitted a Python as a mining ship. Doing some contract mining as a nice change. I find it incredibly chill just to hang out in planetary rings in VR and let my collector drones buzz around picking up fragments for the refinery.
minerpython.jpg
minerpython.jpg (147.7 KiB) Viewed 3398 times
Not sure what I'll do next. I'll definitely rest in Colonia and play the usual game loop for a while. Eventually, I'll decide whether to make the journey back to the bubble or suicide my way back.

Still enjoying the game a lot, but getting to The Centre then back to Colonia felt like enough of an achievement for now.

Narf the Mouse

Post by Narf the Mouse »

Cool! :)

It is a very pretty game. :)

jman0war

Post by jman0war »

Wow that's Elite: Dangerous?

I thought it was mostly resource gathering and dog fighting.

InterKarma do you have VR? What type?
Find my Vibrant Terrain Flats mod at Nexusmods: https://www.nexusmods.com/daggerfalluni ... ?tab=files

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

I thought that too, it was the exploration that got me in. I avoid the combat and grind as much as possible. I don't normally play sims like this, but I like spacey things. I struggled through the grindy parts until I could explore freely.

We have a Vive. I turned an unused 3.5m x 3.0m formal dining space into a VR room. I roll in the office chair for ED sessions, but generally only play roomscale games. Best purchase I've made in a while.

jman0war

Post by jman0war »

I really love that picture of Sagittarius A.
Do you have any screenshots w/o the ship?

I could see that painted large, maybe brighten it up and adjust the hue a little.
It gives me ideas.
Find my Vibrant Terrain Flats mod at Nexusmods: https://www.nexusmods.com/daggerfalluni ... ?tab=files