Cuted/Unfinished conted of DF

Off topic discussion. Talk about gaming and life in general. Be awesome to each other.
Biboran

Cuted/Unfinished conted of DF

Post by Biboran »

There are many articles, topics about that. About strange content, cuted contet, probably planned by devs contend, unused textures and scripts and so on. Can we make in that topic remember ALL that stuff in that place, so after we can easely create a document of all missed daggerfall features? Cutted background music, moons on skies, missed cities and ufinished factions and skills - all that stuff, if someone interested, of course :D

Green text - fact information. This is 100% information you can see in game
Blue text - most probably it was that way, but there are no 100% confiremd information, only rumors and сircumstantial evidences
Red text - mostly speculation, logical way, but without any confirmed proofs.

CUTED ANIMATIONS FOR BARENZIAH AND EADWYRE
There are two sprites with sword animation for this two characters in TEXTURE.185. Probably, during development devs want create more interactivity with flat non-active NPC. Probably, they can attack player and player may kill them. However, this animation looks like more honorary promotion - probably, after player done quests for them or make maximum reputation, king or queen can promote you to something honotable. Also, Eadwyre had different clothes than in final game.
Image Image

LANDSCAPE AND WORLD
There are no detailed landscape in vanilla daggerfall, however, in game files exist high map for all game world. Also, on early screenshots and demonstrations of the game we can see something that looks like much more detailed landscape, very close to look of some other RPG games of that time. Referring to Daggerfall FAQ, relised in 1996, which apparently was compiled from information released by Bethesda "- adventure in intricately designed caves, castles, homes, highlands, lowlands, rivers, cliffs, sand dunes, swamps, underwater and different dimensions: a whole range of environments". By swamps and highlands and sand dunes probably they mean just different textures, as it presented in final game. Howerver, there are no rivers - all ground textures of final version is random mess of small puzzle that not create rivers and sometimes just broken. Probably, texture puzzle intended to work differently, and there also need additional textures for rivers and other natural objects.

WATERMILL TEXTURE
There are unused watermill texture in TEXTURE.091 - however, there are no model for it and it not used in game anywhere. Probably it was too high poly to add to game, but most likely it was cuted, because was part of mentioned detailed landscape - where can be watermills, if there no rivers?

HORSE GUARD
In Texture files from TEXTURE.491 to TEXTURE.495 there a fully finished sprites for guard riding on horse. This guards also appear on pre-relise screenshot with landscape. There a lot ways how they may introduced in game - most probably they spawn around roads between big towns, but roads not exist in final game, so there are no horse guards also. Another variant - they start spawn when player with crime bounty trying to escape on horse from law.

MOON SPRITES
There are sprites for Masser and Secunda moons, but they never used in game. Moons are very important for Lycanthropes - when one of the moons is full, they become a werecreature. In relised game you may check full moon only be calendar

CLOUDS
In October 1995 DEMO there a various clouds textures in directory. As we know, in final game sky texture is monolyth image, so this clouds was never used. However, in early screenshot with guards on horses and landscape, we can see clouds. Probably, with all that moons and clouds sprites sky textures originaly intended to render from separate layers and be fully dynamic - clouds moving, sun and moon move across sky during the day etc.
Image Image Image

UNDERWATER FAUNA
In October 1995 DEMO exist sprites for different fishes. Probably, ther are not enemies, but just non-hostile creatures that make underwater gaemplay less empty and more realistic. There are no actuall information about interactivity (may player somehow interact wth them or they just for aesthetics)

EARLY NPC SPRITES
In TEXTURE.186 can be finded early versions of NPCs from TEXTURE.182. This versions are in bigger scale. New, smaller version that used by game also had some edits - some edits are logical, like Hamerfell innkeeper had much more redguard skintone, but mostly edits are very silly and probably was maded for 5 minutes before deadline - for all npcs was added a lot of same sprites of bottles with wine or just emty bottles, or just parts of sprites was cuted. Some older NPS are more logical - guy, who asked for donations for temple had empty metallic cup for money, in final version he, as many others, had bottle of vine
TEXTURE.186 also contain sprite of child, that was never used in game, probably during remastering of sprites from this texture, devs just forgot about it, or has no time to implement

COINS
There are silver and gold coins textures that not used in game. Probably, there was in plans more complex money system than just gold.
Image Image
Last edited by Biboran on Mon Apr 17, 2017 7:56 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Jay_H

Re: Cuted/Unfinished conted of DF

Post by Jay_H »

The best resource I know is the Cutting Room Floor subpage. Either that topic or this one could work as a summary.

Biboran

Post by Biboran »

I seen this page whe surf the internet, very good summary :D But it not full as I see, and on it site as I see not allowed "speculation" like "as we can see on this screenshot, there are landscape, horse guards and mansion so probably devs want make roads and objects between cities and horse guard patrool them" - and something like that. :D
Attachments
Dag3.jpg
Dag3.jpg (47.29 KiB) Viewed 4988 times

Jay_H

Post by Jay_H »

Very good point. There is a lot of stuff we can add together. If no one has an objection, we can start to add more things here :)

Biboran

Post by Biboran »

Okay, I will start, probably after we find a lot I create a word document with all stuff in one place
It will be huge run, because I think game was done only for like 10% of how it need be relised :lol:
Last edited by Biboran on Sat Apr 15, 2017 8:46 am, edited 2 times in total.

LypyL

Post by LypyL »

Jay_H wrote:The best resource I know is the Cutting Room Floor subpage. Either that topic or this one could work as a summary.
I love that page. :) I would definitely love to see the unused journal implemented in Daggerfall Unity at some point.

I notice that it doesn't mention the spells that weren't implemented. You can find them listed here

Jay_H

Post by Jay_H »

I remember there was some resource, I think on Pastebin, that showed all the changelogs for Daggerfall's patches. By reading some of the things that were patched out, like Polymorph spells, we could get some ideas about what they had intended but couldn't add.

EDIT: It was Patched.txt. I don't know if it's comprehensive but there's plenty.

I found the "Daggerfall FAQ" of 1996, which apparently was compiled from information released by Bethesda. The FAQ can be found here. It has a features section, which I'll attempt to cut down to everything not currently in Daggerfall:
- conversation remains handled via a menu driven branching strategy, with the new feature of being able to select your conversational goal.
- greatly improved player interaction with NPCs, both in dialogue and action. For example, depending on the circumstances, the completion of say a mini-quest by a character will be remembered later on either positively or negatively by a particular NPC social group, a NPC, a NPC's family, the NPC's allies or enemies, or all of the above. DAGGERFALL keeps track of your characters reputation with each NPC. This applies even to characters that are imported into later games in the TES series. Player language skills, though based on the common tongue, will reflect specific groups & social affiliations and will also affect interaction with NPCs. Character clothing, weapons & armour, which can be changed in shops, also affects NPC interactions
- adventure in intricately designed caves, castles, homes, highlands, lowlands, rivers, cliffs, sand dunes, swamps, underwater and different dimensions: a whole range of environments
- many objects in the world have mass and can be moved or picked up by the character. These objects follow the normal laws of physics eg. inertia. Some objects, such as houses and pebbles, can't be moved.
- buy & use houses, ships and other crafts. Property can be furnished with furniture & treasure. Option available which will protect your property against burglary.
- travel from town to town by foot, horseback, horse and wagon or ship. Beware! you can be attacked while using any of these transport methods except ships.
- join guilds, temples & knightly orders to help enhance your character's reputation with various social groups; trade goods and services, even smuggle.
- experience DAGGERFALL's Legal System, complete with courts &jails. Avoid being caught possessing illegal substances!
- shop at furniture stores, armouries/weapon stores, tailors, book stores, alchemists & pawn shops
- new spells include identify, polymorph, shadow, slowfall, telekinesis, teleportation, waterbreathing and water walking: there are some 78 standard types
- new improved special effects eg. polymorphing
- surface dependent walking sounds
- random monster encounter will be largely done away with. It will only occur where it has a direct relationship to the plot, or in a "cleared out" dungeon in a period of time
- although speech will be a part of the game, there was not enough room to implement full speech
- enjoy a large variety of song/ballad lyrics written especially for DAGGERFALL
- have eavesdropping ability
- you can choose an option so that the terrain will have an affect on your constitution
Last edited by Jay_H on Fri Apr 14, 2017 9:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Biboran

Post by Biboran »

adventure in intricately designed caves, castles, homes, highlands, lowlands, rivers, cliffs, sand dunes, swamps, underwater and different dimensions: a whole range of environments
So, rivers was in plan too? :D
many objects in the world have mass and can be moved or picked up by the character. These objects follow the normal laws of physics eg. inertia. Some objects, such as houses and pebbles, can't be moved
Hmm, interesting, they talk about just fact that player can carry things in inventary, or trying of make ragdoll physics? :lol:

Also, I heared something about cuted background sound or music... or I mistaken?

LypyL

Post by LypyL »

Jay_H wrote:I remember there was some resource, I think on Pastebin, that showed all the changelogs for Daggerfall's patches. By reading some of the things that were patched out, like Polymorph spells, we could get some ideas about what they had intended but couldn't add.

EDIT: It was Patched.txt. I don't know if it's comprehensive but there's plenty.

Oh you just reminded me of the unofficial FAQ.

I was surprised when I saw this:
the following Virtual Reality Helmets will be supported:
Virtual I/o, CyberMaxx, Forte VFX1
edit: Off topic, but I would kill for this

Jay_H

Post by Jay_H »

Biboran wrote:So, rivers was in plan too? :D
I think they had in mind a Morrowind-style wilderness, procedurally generated for thousands of miles. Perhaps there would be literally anything across the landscape such as burned-out houses, treasure chests, small caves, pits, criminal hide-outs, and so on, all generated outdoors around rivers, swamps, hills, etc. If what I'm imagining is the case, then you would literally have endless adventure out in the landscape.
Hmm, interesting, they talk about just fact that player can carry things in inventary, or trying of make ragdoll physics? :lol:
Yep, they were super-ambitious. Ragdoll wouldn't exist until 10 years later, but they had fascinating plans.
the following Virtual Reality Helmets will be supported:
Virtual I/o, CyberMaxx, Forte VFX1
And now everything's coming full circle :lol: