Other Elder Scrolls

Off topic discussion. Talk about gaming and life in general. Be awesome to each other.
Narf the Mouse

Other Elder Scrolls

Post by Narf the Mouse »

Random funny that happened to me a couple days ago while playing Oblivion, tutorial level. I use only spells, alchemy, and lockpicking on certain chests. Blast everything in my way; heal myself, make some potions. Playing an Altmer with the sign of the Apprentice.

"You must be an experienced Acrobat."

*Just stare at Baurus like he's an idiot*
Previous experience tells me it's very easy to misunderstand the tone, intent, or meaning of what I've posted. If you have questions, ask.

Biboran

Re: Other Elder Scrolls

Post by Biboran »

Dialogs in Oblivion very silly sometimes... often, actually.

Jay_H

Post by Jay_H »

It's another case of Bethesda ambition meeting Bethesda restraints :)

1: "Are you well, brother? If you can spare a moment, I have thoughts of the deepest import to share."
2: "Of course, brother. Speak your mind. In what can I serve you?"
1: "Blessings of the Nine be upon you."
2: "I see. Good day to you."
1: "Good day!"

Biboran

Post by Biboran »

Jay_H wrote:Another case of Bethesda ambition meeting Bethesda restraints :)

1: "Are you well, brother? If you can spare a moment, I have thoughts of the deepest import to share."
2: "Of course, brother. Speak your mind. In what can I serve you?"
1: "Blessings of the Nine be upon you."
2: "I see. Good day to you."
1: "Good day!"
It was HORRIBLE MUDCRABS tier :lol:

Narf the Mouse

Post by Narf the Mouse »

"I'm through talking with you!"

"Good day."

"Good day."

"So, have you heard any news from the other provinces?"

When a conversation starts between two characters who don't like each other...And who just finished a conversation. :lol:

Oblivion was very ambitious in many ways... But then, "Bethesda Bugs" isn't always a bad thing for a game to have. ;)
Previous experience tells me it's very easy to misunderstand the tone, intent, or meaning of what I've posted. If you have questions, ask.

Jay_H

Post by Jay_H »

I think this video represents it well :)

Narf the Mouse

Post by Narf the Mouse »

Jay_H wrote:I think this video represents it well :)
Laugh button not found... :lol:

Narf the Mouse

Post by Narf the Mouse »

In full plate armour, mostly steel, with longsword and steel shield.

"Civilian! Get back to the encampment!"

But that's ok; Salvian Mattius has good reason to be a bit off today. :)

Paladins are fun to play. :) Redguard with generic Knight class, but playing as Paladin.

Currently instructing the Imperial Heir in investigation, in what is almost certainly a low-risk situation, involving an *almost-certainly-crazy Bosmer. (Glarthir quest)

He clearly needs some time to cool down, the way he attacked any dangers that presented themselves...With spells, yes, spells are good, but with a dagger?

* *Cough*Missingquestchain*Cough*

Also, in case you were wondering, Glarthir will not show up at the meeting point if you have Prince Martin with you.

Narf the Mouse

Post by Narf the Mouse »

Totally my opinion coming up. Also, I tend to sound more definite than I am. This is enthusiasm, if anyone's wondering. :)

I think Oblivion gets an unfairly bad rap. The series has gotten casualized... But when I first played Morrowind, I was disappointed by the lack of character "special power" customization. "What was this birthsign thing, and it sucked!" I was disappointed by the lack of climbing, by the tiny dungeons, and that the spellmaker could only make spells based on effects you already knew, despite the fact that they were the one making spells, broke my immersion.

But it had a weird and creative setting, interesting stories, neat powers to acquire, could still roam everywhere, and levitate softened the lack of climbing. And I learned to enjoy it, and grew to love the setting.

And yeah. My first and long-lasting impression of Oblivion was "they made everything bland and generic! You're fighting an invasion of demons in Generica!"

And to an extent, you are; it is generic. By that scale, it sucks compared to Morrowind. So eventually, I stopped comparing it to Morrowind.

Because Daggerfall was the best Elder Scrolls game... And it's got plenty of generic-looking places. And I ended up enjoying Oblivion for what it was: A well-done fantasyland, with hidden depths and its own weirdness; with combat where you can almost feel the impact of each blow, and manoeuvre, tactics, and strategy are visceral and in-the-moment. Oblivion has been casualized, to an extent...But being cornered by two Dremora Churls at level 5, nearly dying in the process, and then cornering them and beating them down, having one of them run, doesn't feel casual.

Taking out levitate, and making almost every dungeon double back on itself, even Oblivion Gates (especially Oblivion Gates)...Yeah, casual. But at the same time, not, because it allow the designers to set up puzzles and traps that they couldn't have if you could just saunter (literally) over them. Those Oblivion Gates would be a lot easier if I could just fly up to the top of the Sigil Tower, kill the Daedra inside, and then grab the Sigil Stone. And a lot more boring.

I also like the lockpicking game; it feels like lockpicking; or what I suppose lockpicking would feel like. The persuasion game... Not all that bad. Joke, boast about yourself (but in a clever way); even taunts and threats can be friendly between buddies.

But yeah. Losing medium armour sucks. Losing the ability to enchant your own items sucks - but your odds were generally really low in Morrowind. And finding out you needed soul gems now to enchant in Morrowind? That was a "bleh" moment.

tl;dr - All the games have good points (and things they maybe could have done better) :)

Jay_H

Post by Jay_H »

One of my Morrowind characters uses enchanted items instead of magic in any way. I wanted to avoid minmaxing that would give me the money I would need to use an enchanter, so I decided to level enchanting myself. I kept failing at enchanting Constant Effect items, even as my Enchant reached 60, which for me was really high.

So I decided to make a shirt that would cast Fortify Enchant 50 Points for 2 seconds. I used it, and tried to enchant Constant Effect again but failed. I then made a set of pants that would cast Fortify Enchant 100 points for 2 seconds. Then I made two more rings that each cast the same effect.

Finally, with an Enchant skill above 400, I try making that dumb Restore Health Constant Effect ring I was trying to make the whole time... and fail.

And they tell me Galbedir, who's a Journeyman, can make these things every single time?!

Unrelated thought: I came from Daggerfall to Morrowind and was really put off by the meager quests they offered. No longer was I protecting archmages, guarding the guild hall, or slaying rogue atronachs; I was gathering mushrooms for an Associate and pulling pranks on the guild enchanter. The Fighters Guild was a similar let-down. There was also no playable Dark Brotherhood, though the Morag Tong was sort of an attempt in that direction (albeit Lawful Neutral instead of Lawful Evil). The existence of the Mages and Fighters Guilds might have been the only thing that convinced me I was still playing in the same universe as Daggerfall.

Really, I didn't follow any of Morrowind's development cycle, so I was expecting it to be Daggerfall 2.0. Once I realized that there's a fixed number of quests and that the world can slowly be "completed," I felt totally disoriented. The incredibly miniscule Vvardenfell only added to that feeling. Thankfully, Morrowind's setting, story, combat, and exploration value made up for what I was expecting, and it's still a very close 2nd to me in the series.