Re Twitter

Off topic discussion. Talk about gaming and life in general. Be awesome to each other.
Midknightprince

Re: Re Twitter

Post by Midknightprince »

I can confirm the handpainted mod is fully functional with the shelves, just go start looting houses, thats what I did.
Its just ingredients for now, but the clothing shop is a godsend.
Thank you Hazelnut :D
Check out my YouTube Channel!

Hazelnut

Post by Hazelnut »

And now the shop shelves are stocked correctly for each shop, thanks to Allofich.

No excuses for not dressing up for that fancy ball now! :lol:
See my mod code for examples of how to change various aspects of DFU: https://github.com/ajrb/dfunity-mods

Jay_H

Post by Jay_H »

Interkarma wrote:Something in need of least one quality of life improvement is how spells are cast/recast. This can be very confusing for new players. I'm not making changes to this right now, but I'm interested in hearing thoughts from all of you how this could be improved in future. One idea to get us started is an "auto recast" mode that allows player to keep recasting same spell until they run out of mana or draw weapon again.
The request here is too vague for me to answer, but I can make a suggestion (credit to Midknightprince for making me think of this). It would sort of be like the Morrowind hotkey function. In the spellbook you could highlight any spell and press 1 through 0 on the keyboard to assign a spell to each number, which would then appear on the right border. Then during gameplay, pressing the corresponding number would load that spell into the ready so it can be fired at any time. Or with some spells like Heal and Open, they'd fire automatically.

Your remark about the auto recast makes me think you're thinking of something else, though. What are you looking for, and what points of classic spellcasting would unequivocally be untouched?

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

I'm talking about the user experience around cast/recast. I think you've understood fine, just missed there are two distinct parts I'm looking at.

Your suggestion, and Midknightprince's, are good ones! They give the player a shortcut to spell selection (cast) that saves a visit into the clunky spellbook UI. Daggerfall Unity has a smoother UI so this is less of a problem anyway, but it would be nice to give spellcasters a way to select common spells without diving in and out of a UI all the time.

The other side of the equation is the experience of casting the same spell multiple times in a row (recast). It's not possible to simply shoot off fireballs in Daggerfall, you need to hit the recast key each time to rearm spell followed by the mouse button. Some new players don't even know about the recast key and select the same spell from spellbook UI every, single, time. My idea of autocast mode is to automatically rearm last spell until player cancels, draws weapon, or runs out of mana.

If you put those two idea together (easier spell selection followed by easier recasting), then spellcasters get to enjoy simply attacking with magic as fighters do with weapons.

Note that I'm not changing anything about this right now, and will implement exactly like classic at first, and anything I do change will be optional. But I wanted to hear what others had to say based on their experiences of this in Daggerfall. I find the conversation interesting and it helps guide me on how people might feel about this part of the user experience.

LorrMaster42

Post by LorrMaster42 »

Maybe you could do something like Skyrim and equip spells?

Biboran

Post by Biboran »

Nah, separate spell and weapons is thing I really miss in tes 5 and this will be major change in gameplay

NikitaTheTanner

Post by NikitaTheTanner »

Hello, everyone! I think Oblivion's spell system is the best in the series, at least in terms of convenience/user-friendliness when it comes to casting, not the spells themselves. Select a spell and it's always ready, until you select another one. Cast at any time, as long as you have magicka and are not silenced.

Morrowind is a bit clunky with needing to prepare your hands for casting, Skyrim is also very limiting. Oblivion is the golden middle-ground IMO, closer to Daggerfall in some ways, but no need to manually select spell or press recast button. Just one button to cast and that's it.

Jay_H

Post by Jay_H »

Interkarma wrote:If you had an optional slider to influence size of dungeon generation in #DaggerfallUnity from 1 (smallest) to 10 (larger even than classic) how would you use it? Not promising anything right now, but interested in feedback.
The feedback on this was quite surprising! Oversized dungeons felt like one of the biggest complaints I kept hearing about DF, but I'm seeing a split at the time of this post:

25% I wouldn't use (classic)
45% Smaller dungeons!
30% Larger dungeons!

...I feel like some of the people who are asking for 16+ dungeon blocks are forgetting what it's like to look for that one atronach in a dungeon you feel like you already explored :?

I started designing new, logical dungeon blocks awhile ago, so if this ever gets legs in a couple of years and we get a 3D editor like for Doom, I would be enthralled.

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

I was also surprised by the number of people who would either stay the same or actually make dungeons larger! It's a fairly common complaint that dungeons are too large.

I'm not sure if/when I'll tackle this in a major way, but it was a fun one-hour proof of concept injecting new layouts at runtime. This is probably something I'd rather open up hooks for the mod system to address so modders can remix block layouts in their own way.

It would be a lot more work to create entirely new layouts, rather than just remix RDB layouts. Will be interesting to see if someday someone takes this idea and starts building something more interesting.

For my part, I mainly just want a simple way to address the common complaint that dungeons are too large. The simple implementation of this idea could achieve that, at least.

Al-Khwarizmi

Post by Al-Khwarizmi »

I suppose most people who follow Daggerfall Unity are fans of the original game, so it makes sense that we like large dungeons more than the general population.

I think I would leave that setting as in vanilla by default (although I would probably try some games with smaller and larger as well), but I think the possibility of smaller dungeons would help attract people that enjoyed other Elder Scrolls games but never got hooked into Daggerfall.