Re Twitter

Off topic discussion. Talk about gaming and life in general. Be awesome to each other.
afritz1

Re: Re Twitter

Post by afritz1 »

I can relate with Interkarma here. There's a fine line between something being a hobby project and something feeling like an obligation, especially when there are hundreds or thousands of people patiently watching from the sidelines. It can be tiring to be a focus of attention for so long, and you only really get a break once the game can be played all the way through. Some things in engine development can feel like a full-time job if you want them to be done well, but in the end, I'm sure it's worth it, especially when doing historical preservation for something like Arena and Daggerfall.

I've been very careful about managing scope for my project, since it (like Interkarma was saying) can make or break your motivation. I switched from my OpenCL ray tracer to a software 2.5D ray caster solely because I didn't want the added headaches with incompatible versions, shaders not compiling on certain platforms, etc. this early in the project, and I'm really glad that I made the change since it reduces some friction I would've otherwise had.

On another note, I was aiming for OpenTESArena 0.6.0 in maybe the next week or two, and I'm really happy with the help I've been getting from GitHub user Carmina16 -- they've been helping immensely with guiding me through loading interiors and generating cities. The project's still got a ways to go before it's playable, but again, I'm surprised with how far it's gotten since the beginning.

R.D.

Post by R.D. »

Looking forward to your continued progress on OpenTESArena! It looks level rendering is really coming along recently.

afritz1

Post by afritz1 »

Yeah, I added some testing options to the main menu so you can walk around in quite a few places now. You can check out the equipment stores, Mage's Guilds, taverns, etc., and all of the main quest dungeons. No entities or objects yet though (just voxel data), and transitions between levels don't work yet, so you can only walk on the first floor of places for now. The only exterior location that's working right now is the Imperial City, since it's just one big premade area, but you can play around with the weather and climate to make it use rain and snow texture sets. I might be able to get some city generation in for 0.6.0, but I think it might end up being in 0.7.0.

I added an issue for a problem I'm having with the Elden Grove level data. You're free to look into that if you want, and I can help guide you through some of the voxel data. I'd like to have it fixed before the release if I can. There's also a small problem with the starting position in the Fortress of Ice, but I think that's because of how I'm currently doing the coordinate system transform.

Edit: Nevermind about the Elden Grove problem. Situation averted!

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

You are doing amazing work on OpenTESArena. And you're right, the more people watching the greater the pressure seems to be.

Here's wishing us all smooth sailing through these unusual waters. :)

Jay_H

Post by Jay_H »

Some great-looking commits over the last little while:

Implement basics of enemy ranged attacks Allofich committed 23 days ago

Implement Teleportation service ajrb committed 6 days ago

Implement mastering skills, import more skill data Allofich committed 13 days ago

I guess now we won't be able to climb on scenery and snipe enemies with impunity. I'm looking at you Midknightprince :lol:

Hazelnut

Post by Hazelnut »

Jay_H wrote: Implement Teleportation service ajrb committed 6 days ago
For anyone confused my github login is ajrb... so yes, I've made one small contribution since last October. Life happened, and is still happening. Between work, illnesses, parents, kids and grandkids etc with their various crises (honestly, it's ridiculous) I've had a lot less spare time and energy. What I have had has been spent playing games. :D (Factorio, Wolfenstein 2, Death of the Outsider, Turing Test - if you're interested)

Still here though, and I've been working on shops some more. Have shelves activating the trade window now, but more to do before it's done.
See my mod code for examples of how to change various aspects of DFU: https://github.com/ajrb/dfunity-mods

Jay_H

Post by Jay_H »

Don't worry about it :) Any contribution at all is great, and taking breaks is important too.

Hazelnut

Post by Hazelnut »

You may have seen the tweet about working shop shelves. Bit of a delay between making the trading interface and activating shelves, but it's done just in time for last 0.4 build. :)

I've activated all of the shelf models I could find but Daggerfall is such a big game I may have missed some. If you do find a shop shelf that doesn't activate then please post the place & building location here and I'll fix it. (alternatively provide the model id logged to the console if you want to do that, will be like 410xx)

Thanks.
See my mod code for examples of how to change various aspects of DFU: https://github.com/ajrb/dfunity-mods

Feralwarlord

Post by Feralwarlord »

Hazelnut wrote:You may have seen the tweet about working shop shelves. Bit of a delay between making the trading interface and activating shelves, but it's done just in time for last 0.4 build. :)

I've activated all of the shelf models I could find but Daggerfall is such a big game I may have missed some. If you do find a shop shelf that doesn't activate then please post the place & building location here and I'll fix it. (alternatively provide the model id logged to the console if you want to do that, will be like 410xx)

Thanks.
Will this also work with with modded shelves? or is it for vanilla shelves only right now?

Hazelnut

Post by Hazelnut »

Feralwarlord wrote:Will this also work with with modded shelves? or is it for vanilla shelves only right now?
It should work with texture and model replacement mods, if you find a problem let me know. I don't use mods, but the way it's implemented should just work. :)