Re Twitter

Off topic discussion. Talk about gaming and life in general. Be awesome to each other.
Interkarma

Re: Re Twitter

Post by Interkarma »

Agreed! And so much of what he does is related to formulas and internal systems, it's hard to put that good work into screenshot form for others to appreciate.

Jay_H

Post by Jay_H »

Interkarma wrote:Contributor Hazelnut has implemented more text support, including Info popups in #DaggerfallUnity. Magic items will still show %it for now. And the in-world info text (time, date, etc.) now works in #DaggerfallUnity, also thanks to Hazelnut. Most info popups are working now.
Awesome work Hazelnut!! Item traits have been a vital point for a lot of newcomers here, so this is a big help.

Hazelnut

Post by Hazelnut »

Thanks Jay. I certainly opened a can o worms when I wondered where the info popup was... ;)
See my mod code for examples of how to change various aspects of DFU: https://github.com/ajrb/dfunity-mods

Midknightprince

Post by Midknightprince »

I'm for stealth, pickpocket, and lockpicking being associated with just straight up crouch.

Stealth, and crouch in the least should be one thing.
Lots of roleplay by just streamlining this stuff.

You can still jump while crouching, we all know that, but now, you could do it in stealth mode by default, as well as climbing.

Maybe make it an option for purists in the launcher front end, but its gonna make the new people very happy.

Just my 2 cents...whatever you decide I'm good with.
Check out my YouTube Channel!

NikitaTheTanner

Post by NikitaTheTanner »

Stealth, and crouch in the least should be one thing.
I actually am not sure about this as it seems very restrictive to me. Yes, it's standard practice for later TES games, but it's not the best one, plus their size is much smaller. As if standing straight arbitrary makes enemies detect you. I liked that in original Daggerfall you didn't have to crouch to sneak. Also imagine having to crawl through large dungeons, just to stay undetected.

Maybe it can be one of the factors for sneak, making sneaking a bit easier while crouching, but other factors should include enemies line of sight, amount of noise you make(e.g. your armor weight, your movement speed, actions you do - attacks, spells, jumps), light level.

Plus, enemy sneak level will help them detect you, as well as their luck(maybe we'll need Perception attribute at some point? could also help detect enemies, hidden doors and even some secrets...).

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

When I raised this idea, there was enough contention around it that I decided to just go with classic. Even if classic needs some more refinement in places, it acts as a great tie-breaker for these kinds of things. :)

Jay_H

Post by Jay_H »

No argument to the tiebreaker option at all; I just have to say stealth is quite broken in classic, such that some refinement would probably be agreeable once there's a time and place for it. You can sprint towards the enemy and the game still counts it as being stealthy :D If someone's going to bugfix it after 1.0, I'd say just start with making it incompatible with running. After that, armor weight and overall encumbrance could be good additions. In exchange I'd insist on a massive increase in backstabbing damage, like 8x or 12x, which would only trigger if the PC remains undetected; you couldn't just paralyze an enemy and do hundreds of points of damage to them per swing (as logical as that would be; balance does not need to be realistic! :) )

Jay_H

Post by Jay_H »

Interkarma wrote:Hazelnut has added encumbrance and wagon weight limit for items and gold to #DaggerfallUnity. Allofich has fixed the distance range of Info clicks in #DaggerfallUnity and added the "you are too far away" message.
For quite awhile we were hoping more developers would appear to help speed up DFU's development. For me it's safe to say that's underway :)

Feralwarlord

Post by Feralwarlord »

Jay_H wrote:
Interkarma wrote:Hazelnut has added encumbrance and wagon weight limit for items and gold to #DaggerfallUnity. Allofich has fixed the distance range of Info clicks in #DaggerfallUnity and added the "you are too far away" message.
For quite awhile we were hoping more developers would appear to help speed up DFU's development. For me it's safe to say that's underway :)
I guess my character's gonna have trouble moving when the next build comes around

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

Jay_H wrote:For quite awhile we were hoping more developers would appear to help speed up DFU's development. For me it's safe to say that's underway :)
I'm very grateful to have such talented people helping this transition from a one-person Sisyphean task to something very real and obtainable. More developers don't always result in less time, but these folks are just amazing. I've got a feeling that sometime soon things might begin to accelerate out of my own pacing and I'll need help with code review and check-ins. Fortunately the top contributors all have a good mental map of the project and I could trust any of them with this.

Feralwarlord wrote: I guess my character's gonna have trouble moving when the next build comes around
You should be OK! But I don't think you'll be able to pick anything else up until you make some room by dropping items or transferring more to wagon. It would have been great for shops to be in alongside encumbrance, but there's always more loot if you have to let some go. :)