Creating a Game similar to Daggerfall

Off topic discussion. Talk about gaming and life in general. Be awesome to each other.
2cwldys

Creating a Game similar to Daggerfall

Post by 2cwldys »

I've always enjoyed Daggerfall, let alone Morrowind and the rest of the Elder Scrolls, but what about something new?

Yep, that's right.. Something new, but somewhat conserving the old graphics of Daggerfall, and perhaps multiplayer extensions?

I've wanted to know how you even ported Daggerfall to Unity? and perhaps I can find old sprites / use sprites, stuff like that to create a game like Daggerfall, with slightly modified pointers and pieces of lore, or just an entirely different lore. I've just wanted to make my own game or get help to create such a game like Daggerfall it's annoying me ! Lol.

Any feedback or assistance on getting me started would be nice, maybe I can use the raycast engine and get sprites off turbosquid or elsewhere?, maybe make my own?

Maybe forming a team would be nice? I made a discord to the planning of it here: https://discord.gg/eEWBXgE

I just think it would be awesome to make a game like Daggerfall in unity but for a different purpose and taste of the Elder Scrolls and maybe make it somewhat different and sharpen, polish some things!

Thanks!, 2cwldys. (P.S. Try Morrowind Multiplayer with tes3mp!, It's great and it got me into the swing of things related to the Elder Scrolls again!)

Interkarma

Re: Creating a Game similar to Daggerfall

Post by Interkarma »

Hey 2cwldys, welcome to the forums. :)

I'm just moving this into Community as the developer forums are specific to Daggerfall Unity development.
2cwldys wrote:I've wanted to know how you even ported Daggerfall to Unity? and perhaps I can find old sprites / use sprites, stuff like that to create a game like Daggerfall, with slightly modified pointers and pieces of lore, or just an entirely different lore. I've just wanted to make my own game or get help to create such a game like Daggerfall it's annoying me ! Lol.
I started with building tools to reverse engineer and view the file formats. Tools like Daggerfall Explorer, Jukebox, Modelling, Cartographer, Imaging. Later this was all ported into a general Unity framework able to read and import Daggerfall's file formats directly into Unity at runtime (this was Daggerfall Tools for Unity, or just DFTFU for short). Then I started work on gameplay systems. It's been a fairly long process to get things to the stage they're at now with working quests and other large game systems coming together. You can follow my work on tools from around 2009 to now on dfworkshop.net. Most of the interesting activity related to this project begins in 2014.

Good luck with getting your game project underway! :)

2cwldys

Post by 2cwldys »

Thanks for the reply, I'll try to get started or something!

Narf the Mouse

Post by Narf the Mouse »

2cwldys wrote:Thanks for the reply, I'll try to get started or something!
Research everything you can find on planning a video game. Watch tutorials. Take online courses. Be prepared to spend the next several years on your game. Make a tech demo featuring a single location with all planned gameplay features, to make sure your ideas will be fun.

And if this is your first video game, don't make your idea. Make pong. Then make something a bit bigger. Expand your team as you expand the size of games you make. Then, when the size of your next game is the same size as the game you want to make, make that game.

And you should also then have the budget to make that game.

Or that's what the tutorials say. :)
Previous experience tells me it's very easy to misunderstand the tone, intent, or meaning of what I've posted. If you have questions, ask.

Jay_H

Post by Jay_H »

Narf the Mouse wrote:
2cwldys wrote:And if this is your first video game, don't make your idea. Make pong. Then make something a bit bigger. Expand your team as you expand the size of games you make. Then, when the size of your next game is the same size as the game you want to make, make that game.
There's a game series with user-made scenarios I occasionally play, where I go through each world blindly without reading the readmes. I got into one where it seemingly started simple, and then opened up into this sprawling, purposeless world map with places flung all over with no reason or endgoal in sight. I wandered around for a long time wondering what I was supposed to do.

Finally I read the documentation, which said more or less, "This was not only my first project, but the very first time I opened the editor, and looking back I can tell I made a lot of really obvious mistakes. So don't judge me!" :)

MrDowntempo

Post by MrDowntempo »

This is tangentially related. If someone wanted to make a very elderscrolls-esque game, but design their own lore/graphics/quests etc. Would DF unity be feasible as an engine when it hits 1.0? Or will there be too much specific to the gameplay of daggerfall baked in? It's theoretically feasible for OpenMW to be the base of a wholly original RPG, but if one wanted a more vast world, and 2D sprites for characters, could Daggerfall Unity be adapted?

Jay_H

Post by Jay_H »

That was the idea behind Interkarma's original project of Daggerfall Tools for Unity. His goal was to make a Daggerfall creation system so people could either remake DF itself or create Daggerfall-likes. Then he captained the effort to first make Daggerfall Unity and then maybe add onto DFTFU after it was finished.

What'll happen in the future is anyone's guess, but modifying the system to create a new game along those lines is a possibility.

Narf the Mouse

Post by Narf the Mouse »

Jay_H wrote:
Narf the Mouse wrote:
2cwldys wrote:And if this is your first video game, don't make your idea. Make pong. Then make something a bit bigger. Expand your team as you expand the size of games you make. Then, when the size of your next game is the same size as the game you want to make, make that game.
There's a game series with user-made scenarios I occasionally play, where I go through each world blindly without reading the readmes. I got into one where it seemingly started simple, and then opened up into this sprawling, purposeless world map with places flung all over with no reason or endgoal in sight. I wandered around for a long time wondering what I was supposed to do.

Finally I read the documentation, which said more or less, "This was not only my first project, but the very first time I opened the editor, and looking back I can tell I made a lot of really obvious mistakes. So don't judge me!" :)
That's what small projects are for - Letting you know where the obvious mistakes are. :)

Trust me - I spent quite a while doing the exact opposite.

I can almost start writing a new game engine with my eyes closed! :D
Previous experience tells me it's very easy to misunderstand the tone, intent, or meaning of what I've posted. If you have questions, ask.

Napard

Post by Napard »

Is this project still standing? I am very interested and willing to participate!

I have the same idea about doing something similar to Daggerfall, but I'd really like to do something with old-school graphics. I've read that you mentioned something about a raycasting engine, I'm interested in something like that, or maybe a software rasterizer that is ready to easily migrate to OpenGL later. It's not as much work as it sounds, I've done it before. In my 15 years of programming experience, I have worked on simple graphical projects in C/C++ so I know it is not something unreachable at all. And I wouldn't use Unity or UE for this, please don't.

The theme could be similar, or perhaps, perhaps, something different, with more modern narrative ideas or focused on another theme (post-apocalyptic, alien invasion, etc.)

And the multiplayer part can definitely be done, the important thing is to keep the scope specifically defined and make it a simple project in terms of graphics and mechanics, but powerful in terms of scalability of the story, scenarios and lore diversity.

I would love to know what you think,
Greetings!!

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

Hey Napard welcome to the forums. :)

This is a 3+ year old topic and the original poster has probably long since moved on. They haven't posted since 2017.