Creating a Game similar to Daggerfall

Off topic discussion. Talk about gaming and life in general. Be awesome to each other.
User avatar
2cwldys
Posts: 2
Joined: Tue Oct 03, 2017 6:40 am

Creating a Game similar to Daggerfall

Postby 2cwldys » Tue Oct 03, 2017 6:46 am

I've always enjoyed Daggerfall, let alone Morrowind and the rest of the Elder Scrolls, but what about something new?

Yep, that's right.. Something new, but somewhat conserving the old graphics of Daggerfall, and perhaps multiplayer extensions?

I've wanted to know how you even ported Daggerfall to Unity? and perhaps I can find old sprites / use sprites, stuff like that to create a game like Daggerfall, with slightly modified pointers and pieces of lore, or just an entirely different lore. I've just wanted to make my own game or get help to create such a game like Daggerfall it's annoying me ! Lol.

Any feedback or assistance on getting me started would be nice, maybe I can use the raycast engine and get sprites off turbosquid or elsewhere?, maybe make my own?

Maybe forming a team would be nice? I made a discord to the planning of it here: https://discord.gg/eEWBXgE

I just think it would be awesome to make a game like Daggerfall in unity but for a different purpose and taste of the Elder Scrolls and maybe make it somewhat different and sharpen, polish some things!

Thanks!, 2cwldys. (P.S. Try Morrowind Multiplayer with tes3mp!, It's great and it got me into the swing of things related to the Elder Scrolls again!)
User avatar
Interkarma
Posts: 1942
Joined: Sun Mar 22, 2015 1:51 am

Re: Creating a Game similar to Daggerfall

Postby Interkarma » Tue Oct 03, 2017 7:05 am

Hey 2cwldys, welcome to the forums. :)

I'm just moving this into Community as the developer forums are specific to Daggerfall Unity development.

2cwldys wrote:I've wanted to know how you even ported Daggerfall to Unity? and perhaps I can find old sprites / use sprites, stuff like that to create a game like Daggerfall, with slightly modified pointers and pieces of lore, or just an entirely different lore. I've just wanted to make my own game or get help to create such a game like Daggerfall it's annoying me ! Lol.

I started with building tools to reverse engineer and view the file formats. Tools like Daggerfall Explorer, Jukebox, Modelling, Cartographer, Imaging. Later this was all ported into a general Unity framework able to read and import Daggerfall's file formats directly into Unity at runtime (this was Daggerfall Tools for Unity, or just DFTFU for short). Then I started work on gameplay systems. It's been a fairly long process to get things to the stage they're at now with working quests and other large game systems coming together. You can follow my work on tools from around 2009 to now on dfworkshop.net. Most of the interesting activity related to this project begins in 2014.

Good luck with getting your game project underway! :)
User avatar
2cwldys
Posts: 2
Joined: Tue Oct 03, 2017 6:40 am

Re: Creating a Game similar to Daggerfall

Postby 2cwldys » Tue Oct 03, 2017 7:19 am

Thanks for the reply, I'll try to get started or something!
Narf the Mouse
Posts: 322
Joined: Mon Nov 30, 2015 6:32 pm

Re: Creating a Game similar to Daggerfall

Postby Narf the Mouse » Tue Oct 03, 2017 5:26 pm

2cwldys wrote:Thanks for the reply, I'll try to get started or something!

Research everything you can find on planning a video game. Watch tutorials. Take online courses. Be prepared to spend the next several years on your game. Make a tech demo featuring a single location with all planned gameplay features, to make sure your ideas will be fun.

And if this is your first video game, don't make your idea. Make pong. Then make something a bit bigger. Expand your team as you expand the size of games you make. Then, when the size of your next game is the same size as the game you want to make, make that game.

And you should also then have the budget to make that game.

Or that's what the tutorials say. :)
Previous experience tells me it's very easy to misunderstand the tone, intent, or meaning of what I've posted. If you have questions, ask.
User avatar
Jay_H
Posts: 918
Joined: Tue Aug 25, 2015 1:54 am

Re: Creating a Game similar to Daggerfall

Postby Jay_H » Tue Oct 03, 2017 5:48 pm

Narf the Mouse wrote:
2cwldys wrote:And if this is your first video game, don't make your idea. Make pong. Then make something a bit bigger. Expand your team as you expand the size of games you make. Then, when the size of your next game is the same size as the game you want to make, make that game.
There's a game series with user-made scenarios I occasionally play, where I go through each world blindly without reading the readmes. I got into one where it seemingly started simple, and then opened up into this sprawling, purposeless world map with places flung all over with no reason or endgoal in sight. I wandered around for a long time wondering what I was supposed to do.

Finally I read the documentation, which said more or less, "This was not only my first project, but the very first time I opened the editor, and looking back I can tell I made a lot of really obvious mistakes. So don't judge me!" :)
Come give your feedback on the ideas in my general thread, and share your DFU characters in the character thread.
Quest-writing tutorial here. Guide for new Daggerfall players here. Daggerfall Mechanics thread here.
MrDowntempo
Posts: 25
Joined: Fri Sep 15, 2017 4:01 pm

Re: Creating a Game similar to Daggerfall

Postby MrDowntempo » Tue Oct 03, 2017 6:07 pm

This is tangentially related. If someone wanted to make a very elderscrolls-esque game, but design their own lore/graphics/quests etc. Would DF unity be feasible as an engine when it hits 1.0? Or will there be too much specific to the gameplay of daggerfall baked in? It's theoretically feasible for OpenMW to be the base of a wholly original RPG, but if one wanted a more vast world, and 2D sprites for characters, could Daggerfall Unity be adapted?
User avatar
Jay_H
Posts: 918
Joined: Tue Aug 25, 2015 1:54 am

Re: Creating a Game similar to Daggerfall

Postby Jay_H » Tue Oct 03, 2017 6:25 pm

That was the idea behind Interkarma's original project of Daggerfall Tools for Unity. His goal was to make a Daggerfall creation system so people could either remake DF itself or create Daggerfall-likes. Then he captained the effort to first make Daggerfall Unity and then maybe add onto DFTFU after it was finished.

What'll happen in the future is anyone's guess, but modifying the system to create a new game along those lines is a possibility.
Come give your feedback on the ideas in my general thread, and share your DFU characters in the character thread.
Quest-writing tutorial here. Guide for new Daggerfall players here. Daggerfall Mechanics thread here.
Narf the Mouse
Posts: 322
Joined: Mon Nov 30, 2015 6:32 pm

Re: Creating a Game similar to Daggerfall

Postby Narf the Mouse » Wed Oct 04, 2017 1:10 am

Jay_H wrote:
Narf the Mouse wrote:
2cwldys wrote:And if this is your first video game, don't make your idea. Make pong. Then make something a bit bigger. Expand your team as you expand the size of games you make. Then, when the size of your next game is the same size as the game you want to make, make that game.
There's a game series with user-made scenarios I occasionally play, where I go through each world blindly without reading the readmes. I got into one where it seemingly started simple, and then opened up into this sprawling, purposeless world map with places flung all over with no reason or endgoal in sight. I wandered around for a long time wondering what I was supposed to do.

Finally I read the documentation, which said more or less, "This was not only my first project, but the very first time I opened the editor, and looking back I can tell I made a lot of really obvious mistakes. So don't judge me!" :)

That's what small projects are for - Letting you know where the obvious mistakes are. :)

Trust me - I spent quite a while doing the exact opposite.

I can almost start writing a new game engine with my eyes closed! :D
Previous experience tells me it's very easy to misunderstand the tone, intent, or meaning of what I've posted. If you have questions, ask.

Return to “Community”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests