Arena's engine also used in Terminator: Rampage

Off topic discussion. Talk about gaming and life in general. Be awesome to each other.
MrFlibble

Re: Arena's engine also used in Terminator: Rampage

Post by MrFlibble »

afritz1 wrote:I discovered Terminator: Rampage a couple months ago. It's one of Bethesda's games that came out before Arena.
There's one thing that I've always wondered about, that both Rampage and Arena have a similar main objective of assembling some powerful MacGuffin from a number of pieces that you need to find. I haven't figured if this similarity arose from some engine limitations or just a general concept of how to structure a game plot.
epicurius7 wrote:It looks like Bethesda's early 3D texture map engine lineage goes:

Terminator: Rampage [Wolfenstein with floor textures] -> Arena [added variable height ground] -> Daggerfall (Early prototype)
I heard that Daggerfal was using a true 3D engine from very early stages. Screenshots from Summer CES '94 already show the 3D engine which is supposedly an early version of XnGine. I don't remember any earlier Daggerfall shots with an Arena-like engine.
Al-Khwarizmi wrote:I think Interkarma should start working on Ultima Underworld Unity after finishing this one!
JIC, there's an open source engine recreation project for this game called Underworld Adventures, but the development halted in 2007. I checked out with the UU demo and it plays pretty fine although not all features are implemented.

epicurius7

Re: Arena's engine also used in Terminator: Rampage

Post by epicurius7 »

There is no screenshot evidence of an Arena-engine Daggerfall, but...

https://web.archive.org/web/20040407020 ... erfall.htm
Quote:
Daggerfall initially was developed using an updated Arena raycast engine similar to Doom's, where the world is really 2D and drawn to look 3D. We then decided to begin development of one of the very first true 3D engines in computer games -- the XnGine. This engine provided unparalleled 3D visuals and would go on to power other titles such as The Terminator: Future Shock, SkyNET, X-Car, Battlespire, and Redguard.