I interviewed Julian LeFay last week

Off topic discussion. Talk about gaming and life in general. Be awesome to each other.
Indigo

I interviewed Julian LeFay last week

Post by Indigo »

I'm a longtime Elder Scrolls fan, played all the games (even Battlespire and Redguard), and consider Daggerfall one of the best RPGs ever created. I run a small but growing YouTube channel now and I did a video on Daggerfall about a year ago expressing what I found so compelling about it, and has since gained over 110,000 views, so I know there are others out there too.

I had an webcam interview with Julian LeFay (tech lead and "father of the Elder Scrolls") last weekend for 3 hours. Talked about a lot of stuff but the guy is really a fascinating figure. He hasn't been involved in the gaming industry for quite some time, but he did help on a SEGA project and the fighting game Skullgirls a few years ago.

I intend on posting the interview early next week after I add some graphics, photos, visuals and an intro, but I'm pretty excited to show it to the world as Julian hasn't been really recognized for his brilliant work as much as he should have been.

He even said he'd be open to help if he could with these Daggerfall remake projects like this Unity project, but he says he doesn't have the source code anymore, unfortunately.

Anyways, thought I'd share the news, and if I remember I'll post the interview here as I'm sure Daggerfall fans like myself would be interested in hearing from him.

Ian @ Indigo Gaming
https://www.youtube.com/IndigoGamingChannel
Last edited by Indigo on Fri Oct 27, 2017 7:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Arl

Re: I interviewed Julian LeFay last week

Post by Arl »

Hey, very interesting!

Always good to have more insight about the development of Daggerfall, I'll be wainting to watch that interview.

Also, welcome to the forum.
My Deviantart page, I have some Daggerfall stuff in there.

Jay_H

Post by Jay_H »

Oh, this is huge. I am so totally watching that.

You rock! And welcome!

(If you read this, Julian, your contributions will always be welcome here! :D)

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

Welcome to the forums Indigo. :)

Very cool! Julian sounds like a genuine polymath and rather interesting guy in his own right. I look forward to your interview with him. Thank you for sharing.

Dr. Dingles

Post by Dr. Dingles »

I can imagine Daggerfall's development being hectic, what with the highly ambitious design. I remember reading he doesn't have the source code for Daggerfall anymore and I'm not sure any of the other programmers have anything to say about it. That said, Julian effectively was Daggerfall's lead developer, despite also working on multiple other projects for Bethesda to varying levels of completion. I'm not sure how the other programmers pitched in here, but it'd be nice to hear from them too. It does sound like he is a very talented developer and a resourceful person to boot.

I await your interview with him and I'd like to see more about DF's development.

Channel1

Post by Channel1 »

Now I could be wrong, but if he shows up here on the forrums he may be able to give some insight into Battlespire's image colour pallette. Unfortunately memory does fade, but you never know.

Biboran

Post by Biboran »

Mod that restore all cuted and planned features from Lefau himself
DO WANT

Mr. Waffle

Post by Mr. Waffle »

Indigo wrote:I run a small but growing YouTube channel now and I did a video on Daggerfall about a year ago expressing what I found so compelling about it, and has since gained over 110,000 views, so I know there are others out there too.
May I gush for a second here? I really love that video of yours. Although I've only been subscribed to your channel for a few months, your work is pretty good. Keep at it :)
People wear socks

afritz1

Post by afritz1 »

Very interesting news. I imagine Julian would like to hear about my open-source project for Arena. I remember seeing him show some interest in DaggerXL a few years ago. As far as I know, Arena's source code hasn't been lost yet (though it's probably pretty scary C89 and assembly code).

Deepfighter

Post by Deepfighter »

Just to let everyone know. The interview is uploaded by Indigo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IGLGi5RK8V8

:)
Head of the German Daggerfall translation - www.daggerfalldeutsch.de
and German translator for The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim and Lore-Expert for The Elder Scrolls: Online