OpenTESArena 0.6.0 Released!

Off topic discussion. Talk about gaming and life in general. Be awesome to each other.
Mosin Nagant

Re: OpenTESArena 0.6.0 Released!

Post by Mosin Nagant »

Wow, this is great! OpenTESArena, Daggerfall Unity, and OpenMW. What's next, Redguard and Battlespire? :D

I was following your work for some time, but then got sidetracked from Classic ES modding. Are you planning on implementing 3D model support? I'd love to put my Blender skills to work making new, higher-poly dungeon tile-sets. Regardless, I'm really looking forward to this. Arena by far has my favorite dungeons, can't wait to test out this release.
Previously known as LordMordecai on DXL forums

afritz1

Post by afritz1 »

R.D. wrote: Wed Mar 21, 2018 9:31 am I haven't had any noticeable problems using saves I made in the CD version in the floppy version.
Good to know. Maybe it's going to be easier than I thought. I'll try to get to CD version support and original save file loading sometime in the next few months.

I was just brainstorming a replacement for the ray caster last night (another visible voxel determination algorithm) since the ray caster's performance is pretty awful (even with 4 threads), so that's something else I want to do, but it's lower priority. I need to finish up the other renderer features first (moving doors, lights, translucent sprites, occlusion culling, etc.).
Mosin Nagant wrote: Are you planning on implementing 3D model support?
I think I'm going to stick with Arena's voxels and sprites. I've told other people that if they want to do modding, they should probably turn to Daggerfall Unity instead since I'm mostly just trying to make a minimal engine for Arena (with a few quality of life changes, etc.). Nothing big like 3D model support or 3D animation. It would be cool to support something similar to the Build engine's voxel objects, but I don't have anything like that planned yet either.

R.D.

Post by R.D. »

Edit: on a side note, the floppy version of Arena only played one dungeon track while the CD version chose from a selection.
Hey afritz1, I've seen you mention this a few times, but I've done some testing today and found this isn't quite correct. The actual difference is between whether you are using a MIDI selection that uses the .XFM MIDI files or one that uses the .XMI MIDI files. In the former case only one dungeon track is played, but in the latter multiple tracks can be played. This is true for both Arena v 1.06 (floppy) and 1.07 (CD).

R.D.

Post by R.D. »

Btw I noticed today that a "transition up" voxel in a random dungeon didn't work , I just walked inside of it. This was using the latest commit. Is it a known issue?

afritz1

Post by afritz1 »

R.D. wrote: Sat Mar 31, 2018 2:20 pm The actual difference is between whether you are using a MIDI selection that uses the .XFM MIDI files or one that uses the .XMI MIDI files. In the former case only one dungeon track is played, but in the latter multiple tracks can be played.
You know, I was actually suspicious of this, and you've confirmed it. I guess the rule is that, when using .XFM, it only plays DUNGEON1.XFM, but when using .XMI, it plays DUNGEON{1,2,3,4,5}.XMI (I think). Probably because the person making the audio intended for only DUNGEON1.XFM to be used with an FM synth. I don't know all the MIDI terminology, but that might be it.
R.D. wrote: Btw I noticed today that a "transition up" voxel in a random dungeon didn't work , I just walked inside of it. This was using the latest commit. Is it a known issue?
Yeah, it's supposed to open the world map for fast travel when at the top level of a dungeon but it's not implemented yet. I've gotten most of the travel code done (i.e. destination type, travel days, distance); I just need to actually implement fast travel itself now.