XL engine page is gone

Off topic discussion. Talk about gaming and life in general. Be awesome to each other.
paladin181

XL engine page is gone

Post by paladin181 »

Forums and blog are just gone now. Sad... Hope Lucius is ok.

Jay_H

Re: XL engine page is gone

Post by Jay_H »

Sad :( I was too late to join in on the DaggerXL excitement, but after all of Lucius' work this isn't what a person wants to see.

Al-Khwarizmi

Post by Al-Khwarizmi »

It's working for me right now. The forums are full of spam in Russian, though.
Jay_H wrote:I was too late to join in on the DaggerXL excitement
Good for you, believe me. You skipped a lot of frustration.

Arctus

Post by Arctus »

The XL forums brought together a lot of good people, that's for sure. But Lucius only wanted to handle the work all himself, which clearly didn't go too well. It's asking a lot of just one person. It's good to see that the DF Workshop has a great group of people that are all able to put in the sort of work they're good at, and do what they can when they can. Much more successful system :)

paladin181

Post by paladin181 »

Al-Khwarizmi wrote:It's working for me right now. The forums are full of spam in Russian, though.
Jay_H wrote:I was too late to join in on the DaggerXL excitement
Good for you, believe me. You skipped a lot of frustration.
You're right, it's back. Glad that it was only temporary.

mikeprichard

Post by mikeprichard »

The XL Engine page isn't really back - the forums are clogged with spam, and the blog is inaccessible (not that it matters, since the last post there was around 2 years ago the last time I checked). Regardless, like many others, I finally gave up on Dagger XL quite some time ago. Like Interkarma, Lucius was working on the XL Engine as a hobby in his limited spare time. However, unlike Interkarma, he refused to make the project open to contributors; XL Engine's eventual failure was therefore painfully predictable and inevitable. The silver lining to this is that it seems practically all of the folks who were previously active there have finally migrated over here, and for those that have the skills and interest, they can actually contribute to DFU. It's too bad Lucius essentially wasted all those years, at least as far as anyone other than he can tell, but no worries - we have DFU!