Screenshot thread

Discuss Daggerfall Unity and Daggerfall Tools for Unity.
King of Worms

Re: Screenshot thread

Post by King of Worms »

Thanks god for lurkers :) Wall of text incomming, soorry :D

With the sprite/flats upscaling, its a complicated situation. Trust me, I tryed lower resolutions and 10s of other variants. But it doesnt work the way I want. Only good result is with XBR4x. That means that for example 64x32 texture becomes 256x128. If than I repeat the process one more time, it becomes 1024x512 and thats what I do. I do so, because this way the result is the best, and there is no other way around. Its the algorhitm which behaves like that and thats the bottom line.

Than I can take the resulting sprite, open in photoshop and reduce the resolution. Thing is, I can only reduce in whole numbers, so the options are 75% 50% and 25% of the original. 75% is unnoticeable decrease in quality. 50% is the LOWEST you can go, there is like 5% - 10% decrease in quality, so thats ideal. 25% is unusable.

Thing is, even with 50% quality, its too much for engine to handle. Especially with animated NPCs...
With standard sprites, engine works good in 75% of cases. That means, if the texture set is a single atlas (basicaly a sheet of paper with given size to which the sprites from the set must fit - I can fit in those) The problem is with sprites, which are merged into the super atlas. Thats a bigger sheet of paper to which you must fit textures from more sets. Thats impossible to do without a huge decrease of quality.

I wait for The Lacus and others to try to separate this super atlas into the standard "atlas per set" like the others. When this is done, all will work no problem, yay!

With animated NPCs, I dont have a clue and I just wait what will happen :/ Maybe when Interkarma returns, he will shed some light. It might be related to the way cache is handled etc. My sprites might have bigger resolution, but they have really small size in kb... I cant believe few such sprites can saturate PC with 24gb ram :) There must be a way around this... time will tell :idea:

Standard textures dont have this problem... so my retexturing project runs perfectly. Size in Kb or MB doesnt matter to this engine...

And some screens so its not a utter OT .)
dng02.jpg
dng02.jpg (414.91 KiB) Viewed 4114 times
This one took way too much time to fit all the textures to work together, but it payed out
001.jpg
001.jpg (357.59 KiB) Viewed 4112 times

Al-Khwarizmi

Post by Al-Khwarizmi »

ifkopifko wrote:Feelings are deceitful. ;) I am sure I'm not the only one lurking, watching and being overwhelmed by the progress made on this project. Since I have nothing to add myself, I do not post, but know this: I really like what you are doing. :-)
Same here!

King of Worms

Post by King of Worms »

We have the portraits import working!
Portraits.jpg
Portraits.jpg (1.33 MiB) Viewed 3889 times

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

Oooh they look awesome.

Al-Khwarizmi

Post by Al-Khwarizmi »

Seriously amazing.

King of Worms

Post by King of Worms »

Thanks! Thats mostly work of a person called "Lutojar".

I found his work scattered around the internet, so I made some efforts to collect it all. I have 31 or 32 portraits from him. I did a color correction, converted to correct format and DFU file name system. Than I tryed to find matching high quality portraits to some other daggerfall art and further edit them to look like original source. Its quite hard but possible.

Example of portraits Ive found on net... I cut them out, rotate, etc... it hurts the brain to find a fitting portrait
ports - Copy.jpg
ports - Copy.jpg (187.13 KiB) Viewed 3795 times
All are hand-drawn, even this guy which looks like a photo in a smaller screen
FACES.CIF_38-0.png
FACES.CIF_38-0.png (238.36 KiB) Viewed 3794 times
But Ive stopped doing it because it was not implemented yet. Now when its working I can continue and improve on it more so they look even more similar to originals. You HAVE to see it ingame to know if the portrait works good or not.

I already have the rest of the portraits upscaled in my game working... so those I cant find on net or were not done by Lhutojar will at least have a better version than original.

Anyway, I found out the portrait logic is bugged. Some characters have wrong portraits. For example the castle jokers.
486-0.PNG
486-0.PNG (2.02 KiB) Viewed 3789 times
You talk to them and they have wrong portraits ingame. Can I do anything to help solve this bug out?

Nystul

Post by Nystul »

castle folk portraits are bugged in vanilla as well
in dfunity we can "patch" faces by entries in the FLATS.CFG.txt file. We would need a list of flats archive/record index to change
them, e.g. last entry of the file is:

346 10
blue-cloaked woman (court wayrest)

which I added to fix the blue-cloaked woman in court wayrest
to find out the correct values one need to run dfunity in editor and find the sprites to get the archive/texture idx
together with df imaging you can find out the correct target face

in the above example texture archive is 346 and texture index 10 -> which is the blue cloaked lady in the right side of wayrest throneroom - the entry in the FLATS.CFG.txt file is identified by this flat archive/record index
the last entry is "447" which is the index of the face in TFAC00I0.rci file

so what we need is this mapping: flat archive/record index -> index of face in TFAC00I0.rci file ;)
I can update the FLATS.CFG.txt file once I get a list of flats and faces that needs to be updated

King of Worms

Post by King of Worms »

Hi, thanks for reply! I understand just a part of it.
I know the flats, spent months with them together...

so I can find 346_10 flat no problem
10-0.PNG
10-0.PNG (5.48 KiB) Viewed 3710 times
than I can find the corresponding face rci file no problem
447-0.PNG
447-0.PNG (3.14 KiB) Viewed 3710 times
these informations I can provide

I dont understand what these numbers/entries are and if you need them? And where can I find them. Sry for being slow,.

blue-cloaked woman (court wayrest)

PS: is it possible to create a new face file? like, we have files ending with 502-0 green ork man. Can I create 503-0 and link it to the specific flat? Thanks!

Nystul

Post by Nystul »

here is info about the entries:
http://en.uesp.net/wiki/Daggerfall:FLATS.CFG

since dfunity ignores them anyway as far as I know, we only need the flat texture archive/record index and face index
King of Worms wrote: PS: is it possible to create a new face file? like, we have files ending with 502-0 green ork man. Can I create 503-0 and link it to the specific flat? Thanks!
no sry, currently this is part of the resources of the build and can not be modded. That's why one needs to change the file that is in the Resources folder on git. So best way is to collect a list and generate the entries in the file and commit these changes

King of Worms

Post by King of Worms »

"...we only need the flat texture archive/record index and face index..."

Sorry if this sounds dumb but... at the end of the day we need two numbers

346_10 (number of flat)
447-0 (number of face)

to define lady in the blue and her face.

Is that right?