Available to be worked on?

Discuss coding questions, pull requests, and implementation details.
Seterwind

Available to be worked on?

Post by Seterwind »

So looking at the roadmap, it seems like until the Effect system is in place (which looks like it's coming along quite quickly) the only things that can be worked on at this point are, that aren't currently being worked on by others is:

Random encounters on rest
Progress quest support
Updated character motor

Is there anything else that is open to be worked on?

Interkarma

Re: Available to be worked on?

Post by Interkarma »

Yeah, a lot of the work from 0.5 through 0.7 is either completed, in progress, or allocated out. And some of the key items in 0.8-0.9 are pending work being done now - e.g. custom character creator needs advantages/disadvantages which will come in as part of magic & effects.

There are a couple of UIs in 0.9 you could make a start on if you're interested. The court UI would make for a challenge and could be built independently of anything else happening right now. Even just setting up the bones of the UI would be helpful for later. Same for the prison UI, which would be a very simple starting point.

From 0.8 the UI for questions to determine your class needs to be built as well. Lypyl added support for the animation files needed way back in the early days but the UI still needs to be built. Even if you're not comfortable reverse engineering how these questions are weighted to select a class then it would be enough just to have the ability to step through questions to start with.

Let me know how you feel around those items. If not interested, I will think of something else to suggest that doesn't conflict with anyone else's work schedule. :)

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

Seterwind wrote: Mon Mar 12, 2018 1:49 am Random encounters on rest
Progress quest support
Updated character motor
For these items, I've snagged the new player motor. The quest system is mostly complete but we should be able to find some quest actions needing work on if that's an interest.

I think random encounters on rest might be something Allofich / R.D. has in mind. He might be able to confirm if this is still open.

Seterwind

Post by Seterwind »

Seems like you guys have got most of .5 to .8 covered sans effect system.

I'll play around building UIs as I am completely new at Unity and don't want to take anything away from anyone.

The questions and court/prison systems seem fun to try and build.

I'll do my best with that and see what I can make work. But I dont want to step on any toes of those who clearly know what they're doing with this.

Worst case I get some good experience to build mods with.

R.D.

Post by R.D. »

I think random encounters on rest might be something Allofich / R.D. has in mind. He might be able to confirm if this is still open.
Yeah, this, or more specifically random encounters in general, are something I mean to put in when I can, but I've been sidetracked.

Crime is another thing that I figured out quite a bit about (like the reputation threshold for when guards kill you versus arrest you, the formula for dark brotherhood or thieves guild bribing the courtroom, etc.). If you worked on that I would like it if you would allow me to come in later and replace/rearrange things as needed to get it to match classic behavior more exactly.

Character generation questions, biography creation/import, and custom character creation are perhaps good ideas if you want to work on implementing something. It seems like we out to already have those in, and they're mostly straightforward I think. I may be able to help there. A while ago I found out the weapon that each character class starts with (in addition to whatever items they get through biography questions), so I could give you that.

I kind of think, though, that with so many features being added, DF Unity could benefit from having some polishing and bug-fixing done to existing features. For example I added climbing recently but it doesn't work yet for climbing out of the water. I don't know much about Unity, I've been focusing mostly on trying to figure out the original game, but I used a check for collision flags to get when the player has been pushing against the wall to start climbing, and this works while out of the water but not while in it for some reason. I know Interkarma is planning to give the PlayerMotor an overhaul but it couldn't hurt to get things functioning properly now, which could be helpful to refer to later.

That's just an example. Another idea is trying to fix incorrect music sometimes playing when loading a saved game (like outdoor music playing when you're in an interior) and things like that. Just my opinion of course.

Hazelnut

Post by Hazelnut »

R.D. wrote: Mon Mar 12, 2018 10:35 am Character generation questions, biography creation/import, and custom character creation are perhaps good ideas if you want to work on implementing something.
Yeah these would be good chunks of stuff that can be developed independently. Good suggestions.
See my mod code for examples of how to change various aspects of DFU: https://github.com/ajrb/dfunity-mods