Quest Showcase

For all talk about quest development - creation, testing, and quest system.
Jay_H

Re: Quest Showcase

Post by Jay_H »

Fighters Guild #10: "Eight Legged Freaks"

I'm trying to cut down on my verbosity to match classic, and use the _2place_ quest timers Interkarma developed. It makes a lot more sense than classic's timers.

Jay_H

Post by Jay_H »

Dark Brotherhood #10: "Kidnap and Ransom"

Using one of Hazelnut's skill checks in this quest.

Jay_H

Post by Jay_H »

Mages Guild #7: "Weaponized Teleportation"

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

I don't post here much Jay, but I can't tell how thrilled I am to see someone using the quest system to this level. :)

Jay_H

Post by Jay_H »

That's good to hear, thank you :) I believe most forum users are developers and don't dedicate much time to playing, so it's expected that this forum would be quiet for now. Once people really start playing for real I think more traffic will arrive.

But if not, I'm happy to just keep creating. This is a 20-year wish finally fulfilled, so even if it were just for me that'd be cool :lol:

Jay_H

Post by Jay_H »

Knightly Order #12: "The Punisher"

Basic entry-level quest with no surprises.

Jay_H

Post by Jay_H »

Fighters Guild #11: "Ancient Artifact"

I want every faction to have a quest where you can get the non-Daedric Daggerfall artifacts. However, to ensure players don't amass them, I want to make these quests mind-bendingly difficult. I think this one approaches that philosophy. I have little doubt it will require balancing once a few people test it.

Jay_H

Post by Jay_H »

Archaeologists Quest #9: "Heat Seeker."

Great thanks to TheLacus for creating a troubleshooting method for quest writers. If you've wanted to write quests but hesitated because it looks overwhelming, now's the time to get started!! My troubleshooting is now a fraction of the time I used to spend. Writing quests is now even easier than before.

I don't want to abandon the Archaeologists, being DFU's first official custom guild. My greatest difficulty with them is writing material that 1. Makes them unique (not another Mages Guild), 2. Makes them interesting, and 3. Makes them fun. Time will judge whether I achieve those aims, but those are the main reasons why I make quests so infrequently for them.

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

The hardest part for me is I just want to play all the content you guys are making! The game is at this strange point where it's not done yet, but it's just far enough along that sometimes I catch myself just playing it instead of working. A good problem to have I suppose. :D

I'm really excited by the new tools TheLacus has made, it's such a brilliant complement to the whole bundle. With VS Code and TheLacus' syntax highlighting, TEMPLATE language, the game client with runtime compilation and debugger, and console commands for starting/stopping quests, we basically have an end-to-end Daggerfall quest IDE at the moment.

With a two monitor setup, you can write quests on one screen while testing them on the other without even restarting the game. I doubt the original Daggerfall devs had it this good. This is a great time to be building Daggerfall quests!

Jay_H

Post by Jay_H »

Dark Brotherhood quest #11: "No Trespassing"

This is the first of many quests that will negatively impact another guild to benefit your own. There'll always be subtle hints about the reputation changes you'll suffer. Accept quests wisely, players!