Win7 x64-Build 120: New game starts outside of Priv.Hold & runs very slow, cant move around [RESOLVED]

King of Worms

Win7 x64-Build 120: New game starts outside of Priv.Hold & runs very slow, cant move around [RESOLVED]

Post by King of Worms »

Hi, strange bug:

All mods disabled BUT streaming assets/textures
New character
After loading into the Privateers hold for a 1st time - I get this:
BUG.jpg
BUG.jpg (154.94 KiB) Viewed 2869 times
When I disable my whole textures folder, everything is ok all of sudden. Changing texture compression on/off doesnt influence this bug.
I cant move or look around, game seems to be running but very slow, just 1 frame every 5 seconds cca - this happens specifically with a new character.

If I load a old save located outside, game works normally - even with texture folder enabled.
When I load a save from Privateers hold, I get black screen but if I move my mouse, I can see the compass moving - than if I press ESC I can see Im somewhere below the dungeon, I can see distant trees from below the terrain...
Last edited by King of Worms on Sat Jun 09, 2018 8:54 am, edited 3 times in total.

Interkarma

Re: Win7 x64 - Build 120

Post by Interkarma »

Please post your output log and I'll take a look, thank you.

Also, don't forget to put a meaningful description of the bug in your topic title. :)

King of Worms

Re: Win7 x64 - Build 120

Post by King of Worms »

Hi, sorry I was tired yesterday, Ive updated the thread name & log is here:
https://files.fm/u/7g9qbag7#_

PS: the screen Ive attached appears VERY fast after the intro sequence is skipped, like in 1 second, so it appears the loading is basically skipped as well. Usually it takes 30 seconds for me +/- with my texture pack.

Thank you!

TheLacus

Re: Win7 x64-Build 120: New game starts outside of Priv.Hold & runs very slow, cant move around

Post by TheLacus »

Hi, are you using any emission map for a billboard (lamp, fire etc.)?

King of Worms

Re: Win7 x64-Build 120: New game starts outside of Priv.Hold & runs very slow, cant move around

Post by King of Worms »

Hi, no I dont. I just tryed build 116 and it does not work neither. I tryed new instal using daggerfall setup than dropped build 120 onto it + streaming assets folder from old instal and same error. This is getting strange.

EDIT: some saves work, but I cant for example load my save in Wayrest castle. When I load a working save, travel to wayrest and try to enter the castle, game loads and than I appear INFRONT of the wayrest castle again, as if Ive never tryed to enter. It just eats a chunk of memory. I can repeat that and I will never get inside :lol:

King of Worms

Post by King of Worms »

FOUND A SOLUTION!!!
CRAZY!
Its all caused by ONE texture
THIS MOFO!! I remove it, it works, I put it back, it stops working
This was pure LUCK, you asked about emmision maps for a lamp and I realized Ive created a new lamp (without emmision map) found it, removed it and here we are working again... I can load any save and new game works as well
210_11-0.png
210_11-0.png (334.23 KiB) Viewed 2786 times

King of Worms

Post by King of Worms »

I guess Ill avoid the whole 210 archive for now

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

Looking at the log, this appears to be a duplicate key in the material dictionary throwing the game into a spin. Not sure why this is happening, but definitely a bug. Will leave this open until we have a chance to dig into it.

Thanks for the great feedback. :)

TheLacus

Post by TheLacus »

Yes, there is a (very stupid) issue with emission maps for these billboards. If you don't supply one, the albedo is used for full emission, but a leftover from code rewrite caused wrong texture index to be used to save in cache.
Thank you for report and my apologies for the inconvenience. :)

King of Worms

Post by King of Worms »

Im a bit confused, will this be changed in the future or shall I always include the emission map for this archive since now on? Anyway, Im happy we found the source of this bug & I was glad to be of assistance ;)