Daggerfont

Show off your mod creations or just a work in progress.
Interkarma

Re: Daggerfont

Post by Interkarma »

Fonts are in StreamingAssets/Fonts. Classic fonts are in Daggerfall's native .FNT format. Replacement SDF fonts are an atlas image with special pre-processing applied.

You'll need a tool to view and edit the .FNT fonts. You can find this in the translation tools topic.

https://forums.dfworkshop.net/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=904

Preparing SDF fonts isn't hard but requires unique processes. I'll outline these and tools needed when I write up.

Font effects are done at UI level, not in the font itself. Currently this is rather basic (shadow, colour) but could be extended later by adding to text shaders.

Al-Khwarizmi

Post by Al-Khwarizmi »

Your font looks really great! High-res, readable, pleasant to look at, but at the same time respectful with the original. I'll definitely apply it to the game when it can be done.

Now that you are on a roll maybe you could consider adding the most common accented characters for the Daggerfall translations (like Spanish, German, etc.). It's something that people are probably going to ask for sooner or later...

Now we only need an option to make the default text color something more reasonable than bright yellow on parchment backgrouns, and we'll have a great UI design :)

pango

Post by pango »

Al-Khwarizmi wrote: Sun Dec 02, 2018 10:28 am Now that you are on a roll maybe you could consider adding the most common accented characters for the Daggerfall translations (like Spanish, German, etc.). It's something that people are probably going to ask for sooner or later...
Yes, Décembre is here already ;)
Décembre.jpg
Décembre.jpg (163.74 KiB) Viewed 4696 times
Mastodon: @pango@fosstodon.org
When a measure becomes a target, it ceases to be a good measure.
-- Charles Goodhart

jayhova

Post by jayhova »

I can do that. Give me a list of characters on your priority list and I will build the glyphs
Remember always 'What would Julian Do?'.

jayhova

Post by jayhova »

Interkarma wrote: Sat Dec 01, 2018 9:55 pm Fonts are in StreamingAssets/Fonts. Classic fonts are in Daggerfall's native .FNT format. Replacement SDF fonts are an atlas image with special pre-processing applied.

You'll need a tool to view and edit the .FNT fonts. You can find this in the translation tools topic.

https://forums.dfworkshop.net/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=904

Preparing SDF fonts isn't hard but requires unique processes. I'll outline these and tools needed when I write up.

Font effects are done at UI level, not in the font itself. Currently this is rather basic (shadow, colour) but could be extended later by adding to text shaders.
The problem I have is I'd like to convert the fonts to OpenType fonts so I can play with them. Once in that format, I can output them at any resolution or even save them curves. Is there a way I can open the fonts as a bitmap image. Since it looks like someone has already done that and created this font. Failing that I can do it the hard way.

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

You can use Daggerfall Tools for Unity to export classic .FNT files to an atlas image via the Font Exporter. From there you can likely massage into some other format. You will need an installation of Unity and the Daggerfall Unity source code to utilise DFTFU.

I'll export fonts for you when I get back from work if that's easier.

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

I've attached a zip of all classic FNT files exported to PNG atlases. These are the actual glyphs from classic's .FNT files laid out in an 8x8 grid with 8x8 pixels per glyph.

I'm working on that SDF article now as well. I promised this a few months back when SDF went live, so it's well overdue. I'll link article to this topic once published.
Attachments
Classic FNT Atlas Exports.zip
(11.33 KiB) Downloaded 230 times

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

A technical article for creating new SDF fonts is now available.

https://www.dfworkshop.net/creating-sdf ... all-unity/

jayhova

Post by jayhova »

Interkarma wrote: Tue Dec 04, 2018 10:24 pm I've attached a zip of all classic FNT files exported to PNG atlases. These are the actual glyphs from classic's .FNT files laid out in an 8x8 grid with 8x8 pixels per glyph.

I'm working on that SDF article now as well. I promised this a few months back when SDF went live, so it's well overdue. I'll link article to this topic once published.
Hahaha! I just saw something I never expected to see. I opened the zip and looked at the date modified. It said Tomorrow!!!! In any case, this is super; just what I needed. I am still working on internationalizing the font I created. Unfortunately, I have yet to figure out how to make the spacing on the new glyphs right. I have the characters suggested by Pango. As soon as I get those characters working correctly I will update the font stored on the GDrive. Can anyone confirm that this font is downloadable and that I have not somehow screwed up the permissions?

Anyway, great article. You are an excellent technical writer and the process is pretty clear if somewhat involved.

jayhova

Post by jayhova »

If anyone wants to walk through the steps to render the font into an SDF font that would be cool.
SDF-1_Attack[1].gif
SDF-1_Attack[1].gif (106.61 KiB) Viewed 4500 times