Daggerfall Unity 0.2 Test

Discuss Daggerfall Unity and Daggerfall Tools for Unity.
Interkarma

Daggerfall Unity 0.2 Test

Post by Interkarma »

Daggerfall Unity 0.2 is now available for download.

Daggerfall Unity Download Page
http://www.dfworkshop.net/projects/daggerfall-unity/

Daggerfall Unity Manual
http://www.dfworkshop.net/static_files/ ... Manual.pdf

Please use this thread to discuss your experiences and report any bugs. When submitting a bug report, you may be asked to send me a copy of your output log or a save game to help reproduce the problem. Please see the manual for information on where to find these files.

For testers, here are the key areas to focus on for this test cycle.
  • Items. Do they import OK from a classic save? Do they display properly in inventory window? Can you equip and use them as expected? Note: Magic effects will be implemented in a future release.
  • Travel map (default key is V to open).
  • Dungeon and interior automap (default key is M to open while inside).
  • Setup helper. Feedback is welcome for this to improve in future releases.
  • Overall stability and experience.
Thank you for being a part of the Daggerfall Unity test process. Your time and feedback are very much appreciated. :)

LypyL

Re: Daggerfall Unity 0.2 Test

Post by LypyL »

This is awesome! I love the setup helper :D
Items. Do they import OK from a classic save? Do they display properly in inventory window? Can you equip and use them as expected?
So far so good on that - it's great seeing all the items equipped on the character as they should be too.

I'm a big fan of the tooltips for the inventory items - it makes the inventory screen far easier to use. Same with item stacking.

I noticed potions show up as glass bottles (probably expected).
Dungeon and interior automap (default key is M to open while inside).
Seems to be working as expected
Setup helper. Feedback is welcome for this to improve in future releases.
It's great! I think making it more like a traditional launcher after the initial setup (a small window with a few buttons like Play / Options / Exit etc.) would be an improvement. Overall it's very nice, and definitely a step in the right direction imo.

edit: is the floating origin enabled? I thought I noticed some of the usual behavior you get when it isn't after I fast traveled.

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

Thanks for the feedback. :)
LypyL wrote:I noticed potions show up as glass bottles (probably expected).
Yep, I skipped potions for now. The bottles are actually little containers holding the mix (so the bottle isn't magical, the contents are, which makes a kind of sense). Until the effects system is in, I didn't have a good way of dealing with them just yet.
LypyL wrote: It's great! I think making it more like a traditional launcher after the initial setup (a small window with a few buttons like Play / Options / Exit etc.) would be an improvement. Overall it's very nice, and definitely a step in the right direction imo.
I think a rewrite down the track in normal uGUI will probably be in order. The Daggerfall UI has a few limitations like no support for non-Latin characters. You can probably tell from the code that I roughed out that setup helper. Would definitely like to refine later.
LypyL wrote: edit: is the floating origin enabled? I thought I noticed some of the usual behavior you get when it isn't after I fast traveled.
Floating origin has been built-in for a while now (since around 0.1), but doesn't currently support floating Y axis. Will loop back and fix this up soon.

LypyL

Post by LypyL »

Interkarma wrote: Floating origin has been built-in for a while now (since around 0.1), but doesn't currently support floating Y axis. Will loop back and fix this up soon.
I hadn't even noticed! Where is it now - streamingworld, playergps? :) I was playing w/ Nystul's terrain mod on and in the mountains which greatly increased my height, so that was probably the culprit.

While going through Direnni Tower I noticed a texture bug w/ levers - I'm playing with all the mods enabled so this might be a side effect of a mod. Basically, all the tops of levers are showing up white :lol:

http://i.imgur.com/QiswYz1.png

Michael_TEFL

Post by Michael_TEFL »

It's nice to see a new test release!

1) the start screen works as intended (screenshot 1) and the software reacts appropriately after locating the game files

2) the old save (the one with lots of ingredients I posted earlier) opens normally (screenshot 3)
Spoiler!
Screenshot_1-start screen.jpg
Screenshot_1-start screen.jpg (136.7 KiB) Viewed 10632 times
Screenshot_2 - found.jpg
Screenshot_2 - found.jpg (129.45 KiB) Viewed 10632 times
Screenshot_3 - char screen.jpg
Screenshot_3 - char screen.jpg (149.12 KiB) Viewed 10632 times

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

Great! Thank you for the feedback. :)

Michael_TEFL

Post by Michael_TEFL »

3) the inventory screen shows up, ingredients stack (screenshot 1)

4) the travel map works too (screenshot 2)

5) the travel menu counts the amount of days needed for the travel (screenshot 3)
Spoiler!
Screenshot_4 - inventory.jpg
Screenshot_4 - inventory.jpg (130.66 KiB) Viewed 10626 times
Screenshot_5 - travel map.jpg
Screenshot_5 - travel map.jpg (136.94 KiB) Viewed 10626 times
Screenshot_5 - travel menu.jpg
Screenshot_5 - travel menu.jpg (111.97 KiB) Viewed 10626 times
In the next post i'll cover some issues.

Kepling

Post by Kepling »

Hooray for the new version! :o noise maker emote
Interkarma wrote:Items. Do they import OK from a classic save? Do they display properly in inventory window? Can you equip and use them as expected? Note: Magic effects will be implemented in a future release.
So far no problems here.

Suggestion: Extend the item stacking to potions.
Interkarma wrote:Travel map (default key is V to open).
Random fast traveling has sent me to the correct areas without any problems.
Interkarma wrote:Dungeon and interior automap (default key is M to open while inside).
Seems to work correctly so far, and with the higher resolution it seems to be usable unlike vanilla DF. Also reversing the arrow key directions is awesome, the way they worked in vanilla always bothered me. One future test will be running through a dungeon and seeing if I can use the map to find my way around, which was near impossible in vanilla.
Interkarma wrote:Setup helper. Feedback is welcome for this to improve in future releases.
Suggestion:Auto command console list, it's a bit of a pain each time I load up I have to type out several commands for testing.
Interkarma wrote:Overall stability and experience.
Version 0.1.1 had a habit of crashing my video driver after about 15-30 minutes of playing requiring me to restart the game, but I've experienced this problem in other games so I've assumed it's been on my end. I still need to give this version a longer stress test, but so far it hasn't crashed my video driver yet so I'd say stability has increased.

One thing I've been thinking about is world curvature, since with the view distance mod we can see out hundreds of miles. A quick google search shows that when standing on a beach you can only see about 3 miles out to sea before it disappears into the horizon, and considering the size of the Iliac bay it's kinda unrealistic to see all the way across it. Granted this might be a huge pain to pull off, but it would be nice to see mountains rise up out of the horizon as you travel.

Michael_TEFL

Post by Michael_TEFL »

6) the dungeon map works (screenshot 6).

7) unfortunately the "black earth" issue is back (it has been fixed in the previous release, I'm a bit sad to see it again. Well, yes - my graphic card is outdated). (screenshot 7)

Now questions:

A) the travel map seems a bit ... unresponsive. It's not always possible to point to some dungeons\cities - as if the game does not see them.
B) the black textures - is it possible to render the ground for older graphic cards somehow (inserting an option for DirectX 9 in the start menu, or something)?

C) Not an issue, but a question - what do those red and green arrows in the dungeon map mean?
Spoiler!
Screenshot_6 - dungeon map.jpg
Screenshot_6 - dungeon map.jpg (123.55 KiB) Viewed 10618 times
Screenshot_7 - black earth.jpg
Screenshot_7 - black earth.jpg (82.02 KiB) Viewed 10618 times

Michael_TEFL

Post by Michael_TEFL »

Surprisingly (for my pc) it is possible to launch the game with all mods on

It does not run smoothly, but the framerate is almost tolerable (screen 1). And everything is so beautiful.

The game crashes soon afterwards (screen 2).

I add the crash dump. (it's not the biggest issue, as my graphic card and drivers are outdated. But perhaps it might be helpful).
2016-04-03_102512.zip
(11.67 KiB) Downloaded 403 times
Screenshot_9 - so beautiful.jpg
Screenshot_9 - so beautiful.jpg (58.17 KiB) Viewed 10610 times
Screenshot_10 crash.jpg
Screenshot_10 crash.jpg (112.45 KiB) Viewed 10610 times