[MOD] Daggerfall World Map

A curated forum for compatible and maintained mods. Users are unable to create new topics in this forum but can reply to existing topics. Please message a moderator to have your mod moved into this forum area.
King of Worms

Re: Daggerfall Map Recreation

Post by King of Worms »

Nice, I see u added some smaller lakes as well (or I missed them be4)
I have a feeling the brown areas are highlands, but...

If I could add something, it would be the water ripples around the coastline and islands, like in the original map. I see now you can draw them pretty well, around the see monster and ship. But maybe u already tried and they dont fit the image...

Btw, are you sure about the no borders? I tryed just fast switch at 50% opacity and it looks like this:
Spoiler!
v1jpg.jpg
v1jpg.jpg (1.17 MiB) Viewed 4711 times

VMblast

Post by VMblast »

King of Worms wrote: Fri Feb 15, 2019 5:12 pm If I could add something, it would be the water ripples around the coastline and islands, like in the original map. I see now you can draw them pretty well, around the see monster and ship. But maybe u already tried and they dont fit the image...

Btw, are you sure about the no borders? I tryed just fast switch at 50% opacity and it looks like this:
I thought about those ripples when I started painting map. However at the end Ive decided not to follow that approach, since it look to me a bit too much, like everything would be too much over the top. So Ive done that in a more softer stroke. This way the land coast line can pop up better.

Yeah borders that you've added look great. Keep it up. ;) It was just too much for me to do that as well, so I focused only on the map. :P

VMblast

Post by VMblast »

pango wrote: Fri Feb 15, 2019 4:49 pm I really like the details of the full res version, it's an invite to exploration...
Yeah, thats what Ive thought as well, when I finished it. Because of the details, in it somehow pulls you in to check it out whats in there. I thought thats only me. :)

haloterm

Post by haloterm »

This map looks beautiful.

Is it possible that I simply save the picture and put it somewhere in the StreamingAssets folder so the game automatically uses it?

King of Worms

Post by King of Worms »

You nailed the map, I will add the borders more precisely and send you the png files.

VMblast

Post by VMblast »

haloterm wrote: Sat Feb 16, 2019 1:03 pm Is it possible that I simply save the picture and put it somewhere in the StreamingAssets folder so the game automatically uses it?
Thats what Im wondering as well. I guess I have to ask Interkarma about it. :P

King of Worms wrote: Sat Feb 16, 2019 8:17 pm You nailed the map, I will add the borders more precisely and send you the png files.
Awesome! Thanks man. :)

King of Worms

Post by King of Worms »

btw, saw a update by The Lacus on the github and we will finally be able to import the local maps!! So in next version, if all goes well, the whole map system will be modable and updated!

Ive got those 51 maps ready
Spoiler!
FMAP0I60.IMG.png
FMAP0I60.IMG.png (43.63 KiB) Viewed 4569 times
FMAPBI00.IMG.png
FMAPBI00.IMG.png (42.56 KiB) Viewed 4569 times
FMAP0I17.IMG.png
FMAP0I17.IMG.png (45.09 KiB) Viewed 4569 times

jayhova

Post by jayhova »

I wonder if actual city sizes would ever exceed a single pixel. Wouldn't it be nice if location on the map were dots rather than squares? Maybe slightly different size dots? I mean in addition to different color.
Remember always 'What would Julian Do?'.

Cristalnoir

Post by Cristalnoir »

too classy, very nice work that was expected in passing.
If I can afford to suggest a redesign of the regional maps, let them be more detailed, perhaps.
Cristalnoir studio

King of Worms

Post by King of Worms »

Jayhova, having the locations represented by the circular dots instead of the current pixels/squares might be looking good. These squares are a relic of 320 x 200 resolution limits indeed.
Not sure about variable size of the dots - that would need some testing, to see how it really works ingame. But all the ideas you stated sound good and realistic to me, Id like to see it!

Crystal, I was thinking about making the regional maps more detailed - but than you see the map ingame actually covered with 100s of locations... like this..
hmm.jpg
hmm.jpg (291.14 KiB) Viewed 4479 times
...and Ive realized these simple maps are actually good - its clean/clear and you can somehow see what is going on there. But maybe Im wrong and they can be made better. I will gladly offer all the map files to anyone who wants to try something better with it.