[MOD] Cleaned SoundClips

A curated forum for compatible and maintained mods. Users are unable to create new topics in this forum but can reply to existing topics. Please message a moderator to have your mod moved into this forum area.
Azteca

Re: [MOD] Cleaned SoundClips

Post by Azteca »

Hello all. Great job on the sound clips, Pango. I registered to finally contribute to the community here. I am an audio engineer and have good tools and a trained ear at my disposal. After listening to the great work you did on the original clips, I started thinking it would be nice to have a more high-fidelity option for those willing to break with vanilla (much like upscaled vanilla textures vs hand-repainted characters). Well, somehow I missed that you started on new sounds! I'd be glad to contribute in whatever way possible. You seem to be on the right path with searching Freesound.

Given there are 373 sound clips(!), what are some that appear often or are otherwise a high priority? I figure the rarer sounds can wait.

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

Welcome to the forums. :)

pango

Post by pango »

Welcome Azteca!
Azteca wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2019 12:10 am Hello all. Great job on the sound clips, Pango.
Thank you :)
Azteca wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2019 12:10 am I registered to finally contribute to the community here. I am an audio engineer and have good tools and a trained ear at my disposal. After listening to the great work you did on the original clips, I started thinking it would be nice to have a more high-fidelity option for those willing to break with vanilla (much like upscaled vanilla textures vs hand-repainted characters).
Yeah, there's so much one can do with the original sounds, maybe a few individual sounds can still be reworked (I noticed the other day that the Arena howling wolf is still noisy...), but the only way forward will be to use other sources. Cleaned Soundclips 1.3 is pretty much all vanilla sounds (except for the rain loop), I considered jumping to version 2.0 before replacing more sounds altogether, but it could also become a separate project.
Azteca wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2019 12:10 am Well, somehow I missed that you started on new sounds! I'd be glad to contribute in whatever way possible. You seem to be on the right path with searching Freesound.

Given there are 373 sound clips(!), what are some that appear often or are otherwise a high priority? I figure the rarer sounds can wait.
It's hard to tell!
The ones I had the most trouble with so far were elemental daedra sounds (Fire daedra, etc.) and AmbientPeople*. The latter are mostly unused ingame, but maybe the easier to replace, unless you have some ideas about how to synthesize new daedra sounds.
I never finished my work on thunder sounds either, I think they're okay but not so great that I should release a version 2.0 with those instead of original sounds. But it's possible I'm not objective about the result.
Maybe people could vote for the sounds they find the less convincing in the original sounds, but you can also go with your own feelings and knowledge.

Then they're the ideas that would require Daggerfall Unity engine changes.
Say, to add more alternate sounds, say 5 or 6 bird songs instead of 2, several doors opening sounds etc. to pick randomly or pseudo-randomly, to add variety.
People have been complaining about crickets playing in snowy/winter weather, I think I could modify the engine to avoid that, but then what ambient sounds to play instead, just silence?
They've been discussions lately about enemies dodging lacking feedback; Classic does not use sound for dodging and I'm not sure if this can be improved.
I'd really like Daggerfall to have more wind sounds, but I think it should be another layer on top of music and ambient sounds; So you could have wind sounds with clear weather (and deserts) but also with rain, storm, etc. Wired to game WindZones...

(And finally Unity is also capable of realtime effects, so having reverb based on dungeon rooms geometry and properties is the ultimate dream, but it looks totally out of my league...)
Mastodon: @pango@fosstodon.org
When a measure becomes a target, it ceases to be a good measure.
-- Charles Goodhart

jayhova

Post by jayhova »

I'm sure some of the sounds are foley sounds from audio libraries. If we could locate the original material that the game file were derived from, that would be awesome. BTW I'm one of those guys that got my degree in audio engineering and then went straight into IT.
Remember always 'What would Julian Do?'.

Azteca

Post by Azteca »

jayhova wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2019 4:08 pm I'm sure some of the sounds are foley sounds from audio libraries. If we could locate the original material that the game file were derived from, that would be awesome. BTW I'm one of those guys that got my degree in audio engineering and then went straight into IT.
This is true. The wolf howl, for example, is the default wolf howl. I know I have some old sound effects libraries laying around from the CD days. 1:1 match would be great for ultimate vanilla. I'm still open to totally new upgrades if the originals weren't great to begin with, but a lot of sounds are stock. A lot of the magical stuff that clearly has effects would need to be recreated from scratch, and reinterpreted in the process.

Azteca

Post by Azteca »

Thanks for the helpful response, Pango.
pango wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2019 6:14 am (And finally Unity is also capable of realtime effects, so having reverb based on dungeon rooms geometry and properties is the ultimate dream, but it looks totally out of my league...)
Oooh, I like this idea. I'm curious what the parameters are. Frankly I think we could get very far with decay time, amount of early reflections, the common "room size" control and dry/wet. Just getting in the ballpark would be great.

pango

Post by pango »

Azteca wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2019 5:36 pm Oooh, I like this idea. I'm curious what the parameters are. Frankly I think we could get very far with decay time, amount of early reflections, the common "room size" control and dry/wet. Just getting in the ballpark would be great.
What Unity 5 can do seems very comprehensive, see for instance
https://unity3d.com/learn/tutorials/top ... list=17096
However since in Daggerfall Unity all the environment is dynamically created from classic Daggerfall assets, so should those entities needed for sound effects :( And I have no idea how precise the settings need to be for convincing results.
Last edited by pango on Sat Mar 30, 2019 9:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-- Charles Goodhart

jayhova

Post by jayhova »

Azteca wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2019 5:33 pm
This is true. The wolf howl, for example, is the default wolf howl. I know I have some old sound effects libraries laying around from the CD days. 1:1 match would be great for ultimate vanilla. I'm still open to totally new upgrades if the originals weren't great to begin with, but a lot of sounds are stock. A lot of the magical stuff that clearly has effects would need to be recreated from scratch, and reinterpreted in the process.
I know a lot of Daggerfall purists {cough} midknightprince {/cough} would like the sounds to just be high quality versions of the original cheesy foley effects. A lot of these sounds came from studio libraries and are like 60 years old or more then went on CD in the 80s as an easy way for studios to make money.
Remember always 'What would Julian Do?'.

Midknightprince

Post by Midknightprince »

jayhova wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2019 9:13 pm
Azteca wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2019 5:33 pm
I know a lot of Daggerfall purists {cough} midknightprince {/cough} would like the sounds to just be high quality versions of the original cheesy foley effects. A lot of these sounds came from studio libraries and are like 60 years old or more then went on CD in the 80s as an easy way for studios to make money.
This is why I replaced the music, with ambient effects..

here are the results...
Its approx 269 mb unzipped, and thats with pangos soudclips..https://drive.google.com/open?id=1ui0Vh ... _rTQK17-ce

There's still a few songs, just the good ones (mixed in and overlaid on the ambience, not replacing)...
Now if you want to change them further, good luck, Daggerfall mixes it up with the music ( think the palace song outside Derrini Tower), and no birds tracts, it's gonna screw the game up..

I'm still debating doing ALL the dungeon tracts (as in putting music back in there, it's all ambience now except for DUNGEON1 (yep you know I'm leaving that one).

What do you guys think ?
Yeah I love it, just thought i'd get Yalls opine..
Check out my YouTube Channel!

pango

Post by pango »

Ah, something that watching some stream just reminded me: it would be great to have distinct sounds for all enemy types.
Currently having the same sound for tigers and slaughterfishes is immersion breaking. I think there's another example with bears or orcs, but I'm not as sure.
-- Charles Goodhart