Closed: Horse Graphics

Discuss Daggerfall Unity and Daggerfall Tools for Unity.
Interkarma

Closed: Horse Graphics

Post by Interkarma »

This was originally raised by forum member Ceruulean. The horse graphics you see in Daggerfall Imaging 2 (i.e. MRED00I0.IMG and MRED01I0.IMG) are not the horse graphics in game, which have an animated mane and a different appearance.

This is kind of embarrassing to me as I cut my teeth on the image formats and never noticed this. It also means there is at least one image archive I'm not supporting.

I haven't had time to chase this one down yet. Would someone be interested in looking into this, or perhaps already know the answer?

Nystul

Re: Open: Horse Graphics

Post by Nystul »

the question is: where to start searching? do you have a suspicion where the horse graphics could hide? Is there at least a list of files whose purpose is yet unknown?

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

Anyone that picks up this odd job should be familiar and comfortable with Daggerfall's file formats, image compression schemes, hex editors, the DOSBox Debugger, and at least a little assembly knowledge.

I can also confirm from debugging sessions that Daggerfall does not load any files when the horse is used. This seems to indicate it's already memory-resident and possibly a resource packed into the executable. I could also be completely wrong about this hunch and it's being pulled from somewhere totally obvious that I missed. I'm only human. :)

This is really just a needle-haystack kind of problem requiring a some time and patience. It will turn up eventually.

Sora_Saki_Baku

Post by Sora_Saki_Baku »

This is just a thought, but have you looked at andyfall. He got guards to ride horses and there is even a file on uesp.net thats a piece of andyfall lite, which is just mounted guards. Again, I'm not sure if you have looked into this or if its even relevant information. But it might yield something?
“Yeah, well, you know, that’s just, like, your opinion, man.” — The Dude

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

Hi Sora_Saki_Baku, welcome to the forums! :)

The mounted guards are unrelated to the first-person player horse graphics. Andy just swapped the standard guard texture with the mounted guards. The source of first-person horse animation is currently unknown, but I'm sure it will turn up when it's needed. :)

If you haven't already, grab a copy of Daggerfall Imaging 2. It's great for exploring and exporting all the other image formats. including the standard and mounted guards.

Sora_Saki_Baku

Post by Sora_Saki_Baku »

thank you for the quick reply and welcoming me to the forums. This is an amazing project you got going on here.

I'm not new to daggerfall, but i havent messed around with things for a while and that was with dagpic/andypic.
yes i have downloaded all of the dftfu and started working through the tutorials, they are pretty straight forward for unity, nothing to over my head :) . I am very interested in helping with anything i can, hopefully it will be of some use ;) !
“Yeah, well, you know, that’s just, like, your opinion, man.” — The Dude

Interkarma

Re: Closed: Horse Graphics

Post by Interkarma »

Files containing horse graphics are now known thanks to a tip from AnKor in below post.

viewtopic.php?f=23&t=382&start=30#p3398