[MOD] Vanilla MIDI OST - Music on a Roland Sound Canvas 55 V2.0

A curated forum for compatible and maintained mods. Users are unable to create new topics in this forum but can reply to existing topics. Please message a moderator to have your mod moved into this forum area.
JohnBeavers

[MOD] Vanilla MIDI OST - Music on a Roland Sound Canvas 55 V2.0

Post by JohnBeavers »

Hello everyone !

Inspired by this community's good will and driven by the need to bring my stone to this temple of Kynareth, I'm happy to present you my mod.

After discovering and testing Daggerfall Unity, I tryed and failed at running the music through my old Roland Sound Canvas 55 midi expander.
After talking to Interkarma, I realized that it will be something impossible.
Because I miss this version so much, I decided to record all the tracks and pack them into a new mod.

I learned how to do that reading about ByteMixer work on the Daggerfall Remastered Music Project .

It is a great project so why an old midi expander rendering ?
Well, this expander is the one Eric Heberling (original music designer) composed on for TES 1 and 2.
One can argue that alongside modern remixes, it is both the best and most faithful render of the true Daggerfall music.

Here is a French interview where he says what he used.

"Cela dit, j’ai composé avec une Roland Sound Canvas"
""That said, I composed on a Roland Sound Canvas."

Here is a youtube video of a guy who also recorded the whole OST on his Roland SC55.

I use a USB DAC to send the sound back to my pc and record with Audacity.
(OGG, quality 10, 48000Hz.)

Download version 2.0 here.

---Installation---

To install this mod, copy the \Sound folder you will find in the archive into the ..\DaggerfallUnity_Data\StreamingAssets folder of your Daggerfall Unity installation.

That's all :) Thank you for your support !

Change log:
V1.0 > Release
V1.01 > Rerecording of 05 because an error was found in it.
V2.0 > I deleted all the unused files. The archive went from 782MB to 305MB ! Thank you to Pango for his help.
Last edited by JohnBeavers on Sun Aug 25, 2019 9:34 pm, edited 9 times in total.
Here is my Youtube channel if you are ever interested (FR): https://www.youtube.com/user/JohnBeaversYT/

Midknightprince

Re: Music on a Roland Sound Canvas, fully playable OST[WIP]

Post by Midknightprince »

Sweetness !
Check out my YouTube Channel!

King of Worms

Re: Music on a Roland Sound Canvas, fully playable OST[WIP]

Post by King of Worms »

all thumbs up

JohnBeavers

Re: [WIP] Vanilla MIDI OST - Music on a Roland Sound Canvas 55

Post by JohnBeavers »

OK guys,

I passed the 50% mark :)
Everything is going well.
It is amazing how the sound level can go from real dim in ambiant dungeon tracks to loud in tavern tracks.
I'll leave it with this vintage mix.

Next post will be the full mod.
I think I'll store it on Google Drive.
Here is my Youtube channel if you are ever interested (FR): https://www.youtube.com/user/JohnBeaversYT/

MasonFace

Post by MasonFace »

I'm excited about this! I Can't wait to hear the results!

JohnBeavers

Post by JohnBeavers »

Thanks !

Only 31 tracks left :)
It is amazing how those tracks were mixed back in the days. When I say mixed I should say, how they were not mixed !

For my recordings I found the loudest of all the tracks and set the max volume before saturation to this one. I recorded even the dimmest tracks on that setting.

Here is a little video quick and dirty example of random tracks. You'll see that dungeons seem to be at a lower level than the tavern.
The loudest is FBAD. Gosh is it loud !

https://youtu.be/7ewiBSs_sbQ

It will be done by the end of the week, depending on my agenda :) Cheers !

Azteca

Post by Azteca »

Sounding very nice!

It is very simple to loudness match tracks (based on perceptual loudness, not just the peak amplitude) if you'd like. Or you can just turn down the loudest tracks to something you find more reasonably, I suppose.
I am an audio engineer and would be glad to help with fixing any levels if you need it.

JohnBeavers

Post by JohnBeavers »

I am an audio engineer and would be glad to help with fixing any levels if you need it.
You are right that in modern ears it could be the best thing to have the original midi render + a good equalization

I'm torn between the will to get everything harmonious with a compressor or by rising the volume on the most quiet tracks and the will to stay faithful to the source by just keeping the audio mix as it is.
The composer could have decided to make every track quite equal but he didn't and it is part of this vintage vanilla feeling. The loud joy of taverns and the dim gloomy dungeons.

What you could do is create a fork of this record/mod and we could give the choice of version on the download section when you are done.

To me it really is a question of sensitivity and what the player will enjoy the most between the original mix and a remastered equalization from someone who knows what he is doing.

What do you think ?

Azteca

Post by Azteca »

Well, just to clarify, I am not talking about equalization, which is adjusting the balance of frequencies (i.e. less bass, more treble). But in regards to matching volume levels, I also wasn't talking about compressors or any dynamics processor that changes the dynamic range of the individual tracks. Just changing the overall level of the individual tracks to lessen the gap between the loudest ones and the softest ones. In layman's terms, just turning the tracks up or down. So the tavern is really loud, maybe instead of it being (making up a number) 80% louder than the main town music, we make it 40% louder.
But you're right, this is how it would be for the true vanilla experience and we already have ByteMixer's versions. So just put it out there and if people complain maybe I can see about making adjustments.

Looking forward to you getting this over the finish line!

JohnBeavers

Post by JohnBeavers »

Ah ! I see. If it doesn't take you too long or too much effort, I think it would be good to propose an volume adjusted version :)
I think it will be a good choice.

I'll post de final result in an hour or so^^ The record is over. I'm checking the names of the tracks, then I'll zip it with an "how to" read me, upload it on Google Drive, right a post and voilà !