Long quests (more than 83 tasks) get buggy

For all talk about quest development - creation, testing, and quest system.
Yagiza

Long quests (more than 83 tasks) get buggy

Post by Yagiza »

When a quest which has more than 83 (84, including quest startup) tasks started, the game starts behave strangely.

Ommamar

Re: Long quests (more than 83 tasks) get buggy

Post by Ommamar »

D
Last edited by Ommamar on Sat Apr 18, 2020 1:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

Yagiza

Post by Yagiza »

Ommamar wrote: Wed Sep 25, 2019 8:03 pm Interesting, what quest(s) are you referring too? How did you reach that number of tasks?
I just wrote it :D
I added additional detective branch to standard Cure Lycantropy ($CUREWER) quest. It became complicated and long enough to reach that strange limitation.

Ommamar

Post by Ommamar »

I see well good work!

Could you explain exactly what type of bugs you are seeing occur?

Yagiza

Post by Yagiza »

Ommamar wrote: Thu Sep 26, 2019 4:29 am I see well good work!

Could you explain exactly what type of bugs you are seeing occur?
Lots of them:
  1. After I issue startquest $curewer console command, it executed, but don't disappear from command line. Instead, it become selected. Also, it is not stored in command history, so when I press Up button next time, it don't appear in command line.
  2. Counter of hours during Rest actions do not count down, so I can sleep or loiter 'till kingdom come or 'till I press Stop button.
  3. When some text message displayed with say actions consequentially, they first displayed all, from the first to the last one, then, while player clicks, messages appear in backwards order.
These are only issues I experiences so far. I'm sure, there are much more of them.

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

There are no hard limits to the number of tasks you can use, and we'd require the quest source code to diagnose further what is going wrong.

I'll move this one to Quest Hub as it relates to help writing a custom quest.

Yagiza

Post by Yagiza »

Interkarma wrote: Thu Sep 26, 2019 6:52 am There are no hard limits to the number of tasks you can use, and we'd require the quest source code to diagnose further what is going wrong.
Ok. Here's the quest, I'm working on right now.
Just replace original $CUREWER.txt with the attached file.
Right now it's all right. To make the game buggy, all you need, to ucomment any additional task at the bottom of the file e. g.

Code: Select all

variable _hircinewait_
at the bottom of the file. The bugs will be activated right after you start the quest with startquest $curewer console command.
To reproduce the bugs, mentioned above, you may:
  1. Start the quest. You will see, that startquest $curewer not disappeared from the command line, but selected. If this is the first time you issued the command since the game is started, you'll also notice, that the command is not stored in the history: pressing Up button won't bring it to the entry field.
  2. Try to rest or loiter a while. You'll see thec counter not counts down, so you'll be sleeping or loitering until you press Stop button.
  3. Go with fast travel сautiously to a nearest town, to skip some hours, then enter the town. If you still not received the letter, press V to receive it, read the letter, then fast travel to the priest, mentioned in it. Talk to the priest.
    After you answer on priest's question, you'll see priest's answer for a short moment, then message about a ring on priest's hand. Once you click, you'll see priest's answer again.
Attachments
$CUREWER.zip
(9.74 KiB) Downloaded 142 times

JorisVanEijden

Post by JorisVanEijden »

Bug confirmed.
It's not in the QuestMachine, but in the quest debugger.
It can only show 83 states, 19 timers and 64 globals.

I created a PR to stop it crashing when you have more: https://github.com/Interkarma/daggerfal ... /pull/1530
When that is merged it will work but won't show any labels beyond the limits.

Yagiza

Post by Yagiza »

JorisVanEijden wrote: Thu Sep 26, 2019 5:19 pm I created a PR to stop it crashing when you have more: https://github.com/Interkarma/daggerfal ... /pull/1530
When that is merged it will work but won't show any labels beyond the limits.
Oh, thank you!

Kamer

Post by Kamer »

I've had this issue with the older Warm Ashes version which caused me to hard cap possible encounter amounts