Custom Smithing / Tailoring

Talk about the mods you'd like to see in Daggerfall Unity. Give mod creators some ideas!
Ralzar

Re: Custom Smithing / Tailoring

Post by Ralzar »

DeltaOfPie wrote: Wed Oct 23, 2019 11:16 am How are you going to let the player know that there is a quest like this?
Maybe a book or "tales the smith randomly tell"?
Well, the function would be a mod, so the player would know because he installed the mod. But yes, it would be nice if it worked ingame in a way that didn't need meta-knowledge.
Personally, I'd love to see it as a high rank function for Fighters Guild and Knightly Orders. As well as possible to unlock through a quest for non-members as discussed over.

Hazelnut

Post by Hazelnut »

That's the current plan, have one time only high level quests in FG & KOs.
See my mod code for examples of how to change various aspects of DFU: https://github.com/ajrb/dfunity-mods

Hazelnut

Post by Hazelnut »

An update... successfully changed a building to have a jester inside once a specifc quest action is triggered. Below it you can also see that something very odd has happened to the archaeologists sign! This is not a quest test, but rather a test that I could just affect this one building in the one location without affecting any others.
dynamicWorldGenesis.jpg
dynamicWorldGenesis.jpg (463.37 KiB) Viewed 1598 times
See my mod code for examples of how to change various aspects of DFU: https://github.com/ajrb/dfunity-mods

Hazelnut

Post by Hazelnut »

I'm making very good progress with this, the idea has really got my creativity flowing and even the Outer Worlds (which I am enjoying) is enough to dampen my motivation.

Getting carried away seems to be my MO now, but I've really gone for it this time. So the new high level quest to potentially (if you succeed) gain a custom armour service has the following features:
  • Adds a completely new high level quest for FG master ranks. (may do versions for KO later)
  • It's a one time, non-randomised quest like a mini main quest. (game has plenty of random quests especially with Jay's additions, so I wanted to make something specific)
  • Multiple stages, with some (limited) choices.
  • Six different ways to succeed. (many ways to screw it up irrevocably unless you're a god of combat, as that's 1 of the ways which is always available for a time whatever happens)
  • Skill & reputation checks, so not all ways are availiable to all characters.
  • New location you need to find, involving leaving town since you can't just fast travel. (there's an alternative if you want to avoid this costing a bit of gold)
  • Success will dynamically change a specific building in a particular location and provide a brand new in game service.
I want to make this a great gameplay addition, but also a demonstration/tutorial to other modders about what's possible to do now in DFU to add game content. All the code and scripts will be (as always) in my github repo so can be dissected and played with to see how it works.

I will need some play-testers for testing and balancing. You must be familiar with the game and have a legit top rank in FG character, and also be able to describe issues accurately and unambiguously so I don't have to interrogate. Anyone up for it?

Ralzar

Post by Ralzar »

Wow, not quite the scope I was originally envisioning when I posted this, but I am loving everything in your list. It's just the sort of thing Daggerfall needs to put some interesting depth into other parts of the game than just the Main Quest. When I started playing Daggerfall again I couldn't even quite identify why I should bother joining the FG. This would totally be a reason to :D

I am up for testing this. I don't have a top rank FG character at the moment, but I have a lvl18 custom knight character (see The DFU Character Thread) that I could pretty easily bulldoze up the ranks in FG.

Once this is up and running, an additional suggestion: Add a limited version of this smith who can only work with common materials (up to Silver or Elven maybe?) as a standard smith in FG or KO. For example, replacing the pretty uninteresting FG repair service with a smithing service.

Hazelnut

Post by Hazelnut »

Excellent, glad you're excited. One other criteria for tester is not to blab the details or spoilers across the internet. I've worked hard on this, and I would very much like people to experience it with no prior knowledge the first time. Although the writing would be thrown in the bin at Obsidian, I think it's at least good enough. I am finding it the hardest part of quest writing though. :) Needs editing and proofing multiple times for each bit, then formatting for DF parchments on screen. I finally grokked how the quest scripting works now though, took me long enough. I do think for a standard programmer it's rather unintuitive.

So, Jay, am I downplaying again? :D

I definitely think this is very cool, and really looking forward to seeing what people think. Reckon I've crossed all the big hurdles and coding now, and probably about half way through creating the quest. Then got to actually implement the service... yes, I am well aware that was the original goal... I got a touch sidetracked, lol. :lol:

Ralzar

Post by Ralzar »

My usual nerd-obsession (which has taken a bit of an hiatus for DFU atm) is being the GM of my rpg group. So I am used to not blabbing about stories to potential players ;) And I have a lot of experience coming up with stories for my players to get involved in, so I'll be happy to give some feedback on that along the way.

Hazelnut

Post by Hazelnut »

I've made a lot of progress on this, with help from Ralzar who's been testing and helping write the text. Those paying attention will have seen the large PR I've submitted for the core changes required for this to work, and I can't wait to release it so everyone can play it.

A few teaser screens for you all:
RRMAQ1.JPG
RRMAQ1.JPG (136.71 KiB) Viewed 1504 times
RRMAQ2.JPG
RRMAQ2.JPG (226.03 KiB) Viewed 1504 times
RRMAQ3.JPG
RRMAQ3.JPG (399.12 KiB) Viewed 1504 times
RRMAQ5.JPG
RRMAQ5.JPG (331.24 KiB) Viewed 1504 times
RRMAQ4.JPG
RRMAQ4.JPG (252.89 KiB) Viewed 1504 times

Jay_H

Post by Jay_H »

Dangit, Hazelnut. First you revolutionize DFU guilds with the Archaeologists mod, and now you're revolutionizing the rest of it.

Ralzar

Post by Ralzar »

As the guy who play-tested this: this introduces so many things Daggerfall quests need. I'm allready thinking of using the mechanics from this to write some quests of my own.

Allthough after having taken part in the writing; damn, it takes a lot more work than expected.