Windows #49: Billboards Half-Buried [resolved]

kingOfWyrms

Windows #49: Billboards Half-Buried [resolved]

Post by kingOfWyrms »

Okay, so this is a bug that I've known about for a very long time, and I probably should have reported it earlier, but I just realised it doesn't just affect DFTFU as I had thought, but also DFU. Basically, certain billboards will spawn half-buried in the terrain. This can be easily seen at the Lheldar Farmstead in the Dragontail Mountains, but only affects the crops there. When I first discovered this bug, I was using DFTFU, and had unbatched the billboards for messing around with. Upon importing the world, every billboard in it was halfway through the ground. And, pulling up my save at Lheldar Farmstead in the latest build of DFTFU, I've noticed that all the billboards around the farm, and the tree, torch, and horses on the farm, are fine. The crops are not. The difference? The crops aren't batched. Each crop billboard is a single billboard, and for some reason that sticks it halfway through the ground. Notably, this only affects flats outdoors; flats indoors do not suffer from this issue when Batch Billboards is turned off. I was unable to find a floating billboard outside, such as a hanging planter, so I'm not sure if the bug is setting the flats to spawn with their center at ground level, or if it's using the center of the billboard as the anchor point when it's supposed to be using the bottom.

Interkarma

Re: Windows #49: Billboards Half-Buried

Post by Interkarma »

Thanks for the report. Have confirmed this, and will look at cause. Cheers. :)

Edit: Cause appears to be related to a fix made leading up to 0.3 that is causing certain billboards not to be batched or handled correctly at all. I will investigate further and fix when possible.

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

This should be fixed now in all cases. Updated files will be on git shortly.

I'm also working on a small editor script for DaggerfallBillboard that will allow you to place a custom billboard in scene from any Daggerfall texture.
Lheldar Farmstead.jpg
Lheldar Farmstead.jpg (203.56 KiB) Viewed 2980 times

R.D.

Post by R.D. »

Can this be marked resolved now?

R.D.

Post by R.D. »

Let's go ahead and mark this one resolved, too.