[MOD] Orchestral and Accoustic Remaster of Daggerfall Soundtrack

A curated forum for compatible and maintained mods. Users are unable to create new topics in this forum but can reply to existing topics. Please message a moderator to have your mod moved into this forum area.
Lord_Braathen

Re: [MOD] Orchestral and Accoustic Remaster of Daggerfall Soundtrack

Post by Lord_Braathen »

Thank Seferoth, it will be part of v1.1 for sure.
Anyway, with the loop fixes and improvements of the actual tracks, there is a lot of work to do.

Once again, i make a call to all Daggerfall players,
could you please share your feelings and your critics about the tracks you don't really like and the way you think they can be arranged and improved

For example, someone on Reddit told me that he does not like the way the tavern sounds, not enough intimate.
I made a version with a reverb impulse response more accurate for the context :
Soundcloud : https://soundcloud.com/user-807314648-6 ... -tavern-v2
DDL : http://www.mediafire.com/file/h1zwbc33o ... n.ogg/file
Orchestral and Accoustic Remaster of Daggerfall Soundtrack

Seferoth

Post by Seferoth »

Hard to decide between the old and the new Tavern song to be honest. I kinda like the more smooth and relaxed nature of your current track. Well, whatever you choose, do remember that you simply cannot please everyone. I will take either one of them personally as i like them both. :)

pango

Post by pango »

Hi,
I've been quite busy recently, so I only did some test in game with this remaster, but I did like what I heard, as Seferoth said, different mood, and that's good; I do like to change musics from time to time just to "refresh" my listening, so new options are always welcome. Maybe I'll give a more informed review later, after more testing.

From a purely technical point of view,

Code: Select all

song_05strong.ogg
If this is meant to replace the song used in the launcher, it should be called song_5strong.ogg (no zero).

On a similar topic,

song_D8FM.ogg
song_D9FM.ogg
song_D9.ogg
For compatibility with Linux (and I think OS X) that use case-sensitive file systems, the filenames must match exactly what the game is looking for; For Daggerfall Unity, that's all lowercase, so better adjust the 3 filenames above.

Hope it helps,
Pierre.
Mastodon: @pango@fosstodon.org
When a measure becomes a target, it ceases to be a good measure.
-- Charles Goodhart

Lord_Braathen

Post by Lord_Braathen »

pango wrote: Sat Dec 21, 2019 1:29 am Hi,
I've been quite busy recently, so I only did some test in game with this remaster, but I did like what I heard, as Seferoth said, different mood, and that's good; I do like to change musics from time to time just to "refresh" my listening, so new options are always welcome. Maybe I'll give a more informed review later, after more testing.

From a purely technical point of view,

song_05strong.ogg
If this is meant to replace the song used in the launcher, it should be called song_5strong.ogg (no zero).

On a similar topic,

song_D8FM.ogg
song_D9FM.ogg
song_D9.ogg
For compatibility with Linux (and I think OS X) that use case-sensitive file systems, the filenames must match exactly what the game is looking for; For Daggerfall Unity, that's all lowercase, so better adjust the 3 filenames above.

Hope it helps,
Pierre.
Thank you Pango (merci à toi compatriote)
Maybe i should make a giant poll to decide the best version for each track i will remix again.
Take your time for testing, it's christmas, me either, i will have less time to consecrate during the next few days.

Regarding your technical remarks, i'm gratefull you saw them, cause it's very easy to miss something when you have no hindsight. It will be fixed in the next version.

For the song_5strong.ogg, Can someone tell me what song is used ?
In the midi pac, i downloaded, it was not included so I just copy the "05", add 4db and strong at the end of its name.

Thank you again for your feedbacks (Pango, Seferoth and Masonface)

Lord_Braathen

Re: [MOD] Orchestral and Accoustic Remaster of Daggerfall Soundtrack 1.1 (21/12/2019)

Post by Lord_Braathen »

Version 1.1 released

Changelog 1.1 :
- Some song names fixed to be played on all operating systems
- A track name with the correct one (song_5strong)
- song_snowing version (choirs replaced by strings sections)
- song_tavern (reverb more accurate for a Tavern)

Note : From now on, i will keep the ogg with 196kb/s bitrate. It wont make a difference ingame.

EDIT : I forgot an underscore in the track "song_gmage_3.ogg"
So i replaced it with the 1.1.1 version.
Sorry for the mistake, it's why there was no music in guild mage..

Will come in 1.2 :
Tracks length adjusted to loop correctly ingame

Download links :

1) https://www.nexusmods.com/daggerfalluni ... ?tab=files

2) https://www.moddb.com/mods/orchestral-a ... masterv1-1

3) https://www.mediafire.com/file/tsatbv1m ... 1.zip/file

Do not hesitate to tell me if something's wrong. Enjoy !

yabay

Re: [MOD] Orchestral and Accoustic Remaster of Daggerfall Soundtrack 1.1.1 (22/12/2019)

Post by yabay »

Last edited by yabay on Mon Jun 21, 2021 7:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

Lord_Braathen

Re: [MOD] Orchestral and Accoustic Remaster of Daggerfall Soundtrack 1.1.1 (22/12/2019)

Post by Lord_Braathen »

yabay wrote: Mon Dec 23, 2019 11:03 am You also need to rename the file "song_gday___d.ogg" (there should be three underscores) and "song_gsnow__b.ogg" (there should be two underscores)
Thank you so much !!!
Why did they name their files like that ? One underscore was enough, i don't understand...
I will have to do a small update again. I don't like that, but i hope it's the last time.

Sorry for these drawbacks (even if it's quite normal for a young mod)

ByteMixer

Re: [MOD] Orchestral and Accoustic Remaster of Daggerfall Soundtrack 1.1.2 (23/12/2019)

Post by ByteMixer »

I agree, the filename situation is a bit silly. I suppose they had their reasons though.

Congrats on your release! I'll try to get around to listening to them soon!

Happy New Year! :D
"Whatever you do, make good art." - Neil Gaiman

Lord_Braathen

Re: [MOD] Orchestral and Accoustic Remaster of Daggerfall Soundtrack 1.1.2 (23/12/2019)

Post by Lord_Braathen »

Thanks BiteMixer, take your time and if it's possible, do not hesitate to tell what you think of my remaster.

As i asked to Bitemixer, please tell me what you think of it, especially what you dislike.
It's very important for me to give to all the community a good alternative among all existing remasters.

pango

Post by pango »

Reviewing music is hard. Reviewing a lot of music doubly so, as I tend to be influenced by what I heard before, and not be very consistent. Oh, well.

Just to explain where I'm coming from, I mostly listen to jazz, funk, blues, so acoustic is right into my alley, so is dissonances, playful rhythmic,... It works best with some tracks than others, but I like many tracks (song_16, song_d2, song_d3, song_d5, song_fm_dngn3, to name a few). I like the use of dissonance for example in song_d2 or song_d6. Classic trick to instill unease or even fear, but it works. song_d3 makes a good use of reverb. Human choir work good too, makes you wish for a longer theme...

Now on for what I like less:
song_03: a bit confuse. After listening to all tracks I get used to reverb, but there's still something confuse about this track, I'm not exactly sure what.
song_22: weird counterpoint, not necessarily a bad thing, but it feels like something that could be developed further. Also, I think this track would be better on a slightly faster tempo. Some remixes accelerated it, and it feels great.
song_23: some drum shots are behind the time near the end of the track, I can't get used to it
song_d1: too much claves at times, and when it gets more sparse it doesn't feel accurate/confident enough (say, compared to song_d3 or song_d4)
song_d4: I like it, looping to the beginning is a bit harsh though
song_dag_8: good track, but loses steam at the end
song_dag_11: only obvious technical issue I noticed, there's some clicks in this track, probably a problem with the bell sound. I don't know if it has been reported before.
song_folk3: isn't there supposed to be an arpeggio? Will have to re-listen to the original
song_fsnow__b, song_oversnow: basic drumming accent on first time

So here's my subjective list after listening to the tracks usually two times only...
Mastodon: @pango@fosstodon.org
When a measure becomes a target, it ceases to be a good measure.
-- Charles Goodhart