Better poisons mod

Talk about the mods you'd like to see in Daggerfall Unity. Give mod creators some ideas!
Firebrand

Re: Better poisons mod

Post by Firebrand »

Ralzar wrote: Tue Oct 15, 2019 7:38 am Edit: Btw, looking at the file linked in OP, I see there are several types of poisones. It would be really nice if the status popup didn't just change to "You are poisoned". But actually informed you what type of poison, effects and its duration. Even if it was just a vague "You have Droth Weed poisoning. It reduces your agility, speed and strength. The effects will last for 7 days"
It would be useful, but how do you justify it from a roleplay point of view? When you feel unwell, you go to a doctor and get a diagnosis. Similarly, with poison, you cannot know what kind of poisoning you have, unless it's not the first time, or you've studied for some reason ( :? :lol: ) the various effects of the different kind of poisons.

Ralzar

Post by Ralzar »

Firebrand wrote: Tue Oct 15, 2019 10:05 am
Ralzar wrote: Tue Oct 15, 2019 7:38 am Edit: Btw, looking at the file linked in OP, I see there are several types of poisones. It would be really nice if the status popup didn't just change to "You are poisoned". But actually informed you what type of poison, effects and its duration. Even if it was just a vague "You have Droth Weed poisoning. It reduces your agility, speed and strength. The effects will last for 7 days"
It would be useful, but how do you justify it from a roleplay point of view? When you feel unwell, you go to a doctor and get a diagnosis. Similarly, with poison, you cannot know what kind of poisoning you have, unless it's not the first time, or you've studied for some reason ( :? :lol: ) the various effects of the different kind of poisons.
True. It would actually be kind of fun if the alchemy shops had the ability to diagnose and cure you :) Maybe as a quest based on your affliction.
"Ah, this is a classic case of swamp-butt. It is easy enough to cure if you have the ingredients. My colleague in Eastwich should be able to help you." etc

ValkyrWarrior

Changing how poisons work?

Post by ValkyrWarrior »

This is inspired by an event I just got out of, so I figure I'd explain it here:

While in a massive dungeon, I got poisoned.

The poison would not go away. Waiting/resting killed me, and I was smack dab in the middle of said dungeon with no Cure spells or potions. My last non-poisoned save was hours away; I had softlocked.

I had to TGM, teleport out of the dungeon, run to a town, wait out the poison duration, join a temple that I didn't want to join for self-roleplay reasons to cure my attributes (I'd die if I un-TGMed before then) and now I'm back at square 1 after feeling dirty that I had to use the console.

It'd be real nice to make poisons less deadly.. maybe akin to Oblivion/Skyrim poisons if that's possible.

Also related: can we get a leave guild function/mod?

alphaTECH

Re: Changing how poisons work?

Post by alphaTECH »

I don't agree with changing their function. You were not prepared. There's a few ways out of a situation like this: potions, enchanted items, spells, and temples. At the very least you could have had a spell handy.

Daggerfall is not a hand-holding game.

Ralzar

Post by Ralzar »

Haha, I learned that by having my character die the same way. I only had one save and that was poisoned in a dungeon.
I just accepted my fate and made a new character.

L57

Post by L57 »

I agree with Helegad. This is actually awesome. Later TES games are caring for the player too much, and players make gameplay even more boring and non-exciting themselves.

Many players in Skyrim always run in stealth mode and instakill enemies with 15x critical sneak strike. I once did the same until I tried to give up stealth mechanics and various exploits completely and fight with a shield and a sword like a real warrior. Never returned to the old playstyle since then. I had a lot of nervous battles with high-level draugr and bandits with lots of exchanges of blows against shields, retreating tactically, using the environment to my advantage, etc etc. And Tu'um shouts really became handy and even life-savers, not just a fancy toy!

And in Daggerfall it's even much more extreme. You must seriously prepare for any trip, because you may be doomed to death even despite cheap save-load tricks which we all tend to abuse sometimes :D Be thankful for that! It's a feature, not an annoying flaw. You are really risking your life and you feel that.

Jay_H

Post by Jay_H »

...this is the Mods section. We're not talking about changing the base game here. If someone suggests or makes a mod to change poisons, what harm does it do? :?

L57

Post by L57 »

Well it's just a discussion and nobody forces anybody to play in a certain way, far from that. Rather it's just to provide different perspective and to share people's experience. Sometimes it's simply not obvious that you can make a game overly condescending and not fun in a long-run, trying to save your PC from serious danger at any cost. Where exactly is the line between fun and excessive challenge is up to personal preference, of course.

alphaTECH

Post by alphaTECH »

Jay_H wrote: Sat Feb 08, 2020 9:16 am ...this is the Mods section. We're not talking about changing the base game here. If someone suggests or makes a mod to change poisons, what harm does it do? :?
Looks like these posts were merged an hour or two ago, originally ValkyrWarrior's post was an entirely separate topic in Help & Support(?) with the title "Changing how poisons work?".

ValkyrWarrior

Post by ValkyrWarrior »

Helegad wrote: Sat Feb 08, 2020 10:31 am
Jay_H wrote: Sat Feb 08, 2020 9:16 am ...this is the Mods section. We're not talking about changing the base game here. If someone suggests or makes a mod to change poisons, what harm does it do? :?
Looks like these posts were merged an hour or two ago, originally ValkyrWarrior's post was an entirely separate topic in Help & Support(?) with the title "Changing how poisons work?".
Did I really post it in Help and Support?

My god, I must've been blind, lol. I'm glad it was merged with a better thread, because I certainly wasn't meaning to ask to change the base game.

That said, I obviously understand Daggerfall is supposed to be hard and non handholdy (I grew up with the game) but the whole poison system is entirely out of whack at fault of Bethesda and it's annoying as hell to deal with.