Making a letter item permanent (and keeping the contents)

For all talk about quest development - creation, testing, and quest system.
JorisVanEijden

Re: Making a letter item permanent (and keeping the contents)

Post by JorisVanEijden »

Jay_H wrote: Tue Feb 04, 2020 5:04 am Only "end quest" should terminate the quest. I don't know of other commands doing so.
While only "end quest" terminates a quest, "give pc" does mark the quest as successfully completed.
(In df classic opcode 0x04 marks a quest as completed and optionally rewards the player with gold and/or items. The use of "give pc" for this in Template is a bit unfortunate.)

Jay_H

Post by Jay_H »

Yes, I should have mentioned that. Thanks Joris :)

haloterm

Post by haloterm »

Hazelnut wrote: Fri Feb 07, 2020 3:44 pm See TheLacus' documentation regarding custom books. https://www.dfworkshop.net/projects/dag ... ing/books/ Seems like isUnique should do what you want, but I never tried it.
Have added my first custom book :) The "Black Horse Courier" is publishing a few hiking guides, to fund itself (since funding through the Elder Council (like in Oblivion) has not yet begun). Works like a charm.

pango

Post by pango »

It would help to deliver the wedding invitation using this feature, instead of having made all quests linger a bit, which had sometimes strange side effects (lingering quest items,...) and make quests harder to debug too...
Mastodon: @pango@fosstodon.org
When a measure becomes a target, it ceases to be a good measure.
-- Charles Goodhart

haloterm

Post by haloterm »

pango wrote: Thu Feb 20, 2020 7:01 am It would help to deliver the wedding invitation using this feature, instead of having made all quests linger a bit, which had sometimes strange side effects (lingering quest items,...) and make quests harder to debug too...
What do you mean by "this feature"?

pango

Post by pango »

Allowing a quest to create a permanent item, so the quest can immediately end and not linger just for the sake of keeping that item alive for more time
Which seems to be the original topic on this thread
Mastodon: @pango@fosstodon.org
When a measure becomes a target, it ceases to be a good measure.
-- Charles Goodhart

Hazelnut

Post by Hazelnut »

The issue here isn't that the item (parchment) cannot be made permanent and persist after the quest ends, it's that the text that is on the parchment is part of the quest and not actually related to the item at all.

I'm just testing being able to add specific books which is how haloterm is going to get around this... create custom books and then quests can give them to the player.

Also doing potions as well since he wanted those as well. :)
See my mod code for examples of how to change various aspects of DFU: https://github.com/ajrb/dfunity-mods

haloterm

Post by haloterm »

pango wrote: Fri Feb 21, 2020 5:29 pm Allowing a quest to create a permanent item, so the quest can immediately end and not linger just for the sake of keeping that item alive for more time
Ah, I see, yes. :)

Looking forward trying hazelnut's specific book change. :)

haloterm

Post by haloterm »

pango wrote: Fri Feb 21, 2020 5:29 pm Allowing a quest to create a permanent item, so the quest can immediately end and not linger just for the sake of keeping that item alive for more time
Ah, I see, yes. :)

Looking forward trying hazelnut's specific book change. :)