[MOD] Meaner Monsters

A curated forum for compatible and maintained mods. Users are unable to create new topics in this forum but can reply to existing topics. Please message a moderator to have your mod moved into this forum area.
Ralzar

Re: [MOD] Meaner Monsters

Post by Ralzar »

Hm... weird. I recently tested this mod specifically to make sure it was working. I’ll take a look later tonight.

Ralzar

Post by Ralzar »

Hm... just tried running it here and did not get any error. Started a new character who ran into the rat in the first room.

I had NPCHealthIndicator mod on, which showed it as having 32 HP.

I'll do a second test in live.

What build version are you using

Edit: Scratch that. It works fine in Unity, but if I build it, it doesn't work anymore? What the hell...? I'll have to do some digging.

Magicono43

Post by Magicono43 »

Ralzar wrote: Tue Feb 25, 2020 8:26 pm Hm... just tried running it here and did not get any error. Started a new character who ran into the rat in the first room.

I had NPCHealthIndicator mod on, which showed it as having 32 HP.

I'll do a second test in live.

What build version are you using

Edit: Scratch that. It works fine in Unity, but if I build it, it doesn't work anymore? What the hell...? I'll have to do some digging.
I'm using Unity "Version 2018.2.21f1 Personal" and build 0.10.12, i'm pretty sure at least. I'm not sure if i'm getting the same exception on the Non-Unity version since I can't see the console, but the enemy stat values in terms of damage were definitely not changed, so I figure in both cases the mod is throwing an exception.

Edit: Actually, I think i'm using the 0.10.19 Alpha build from Feb 8th. Maybe that's the problem? Since the mod says it's for version 10.17?

Ralzar

Post by Ralzar »

Nah, it was originally built during 0.10.17 but should work in newer builds as well.

Magicono43

Post by Magicono43 »

So I just used the Source Compiler tool on your extracted script for the mod and got this exception.
Source Compiler Thrown Exception Unity
Source Compiler Thrown Exception Unity
Capture.JPG (28.47 KiB) Viewed 1756 times
Edit: So I guess where it says (21, 28) is the line and column that the error is being thrown, which if i'm looking at your script is right there where the "init" start and after the void.
Capture2.JPG
Capture2.JPG (25.42 KiB) Viewed 1753 times
Edit 2: Hopefully that was just a red-herring I just put out, because I tried the NPChealthindicator scripts as well in the source compiler and got the same error. So I could likely be completely off in what is causing your script to throw an exception in the game, and not just that external Unity tool.

Ralzar

Post by Ralzar »

Yeah, thanks for the help man, but I think those errors are just on your side. I'd reccomend doing a fresh download of the master, unpack it in a new folder and then open that folder with Unity.

I ran quite a few tests last evening and I can only come to one conclusion:

Meaner Monsters never worked in live?

It works fine in Unity, but once compiled into a modfile it just stops working. I can extract the code from that mod file, stick it back into Unity and it works again.

So unless Hazelnut manages to figure out a solution (he's a bit busy at the moment) I will attempt reverting to the original code first used, which was more hassle but might circumvent whatever problem is causing this.

I'll probably have a new build out later today. I'll also have to do some testing to see if Meaner Monsters should use the really buffed numbers from the latest update or the original numbers I set, seeing as we've probably never seen the mod active in live :oops: :lol:
Last edited by Ralzar on Wed Feb 26, 2020 9:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

L57

Post by L57 »

squerol wrote: Tue Feb 25, 2020 7:06 am Buffed stats for enemies is welcome change but kinda useless because how terrible enemies speed and tracking is. Is it possible to buff enemies speed too or remove stunlock? Right now player can just outrun and stunlock everything to death.
It feels to me like you're testing this in open spaces, where you can always step back unlimitedly, or you have OP character build, or you abuse save/load a lot and don't notice it, or you leveled-up too fast somehow and already became a killing machine...

I'm playing now with relatively low endurance and strength, and there is a lot of challenge even despite the fact I can overrun everybody. Basically, sprinting, stunlocks and not-too-smart AI are the only advantages that allows me to beat many enemies in a row. And there is a lot of fun!

Say, being low-level PC I can dodge the blows of a giant often, but if he gets into me, I will most likely die in one or two hits. There are lots of dead ends and tangled paths in dungeons, so it can turn into a hopeless situation. I need to kill many giants and yet rarely getting hit by them.

Recently I had intense battle with daedroth, who was killing me in a few swings, and he was really fast: with 100 Speed he kept up with me if I'm not sprinting. But I had a little chance to sprint, because there were no direct paths in that dungeon block. This was really intense and quite nervous with lots of running and dodging, archery was the thing that saved my life.

That being said, probably it would be nice to increase the time during which the opponent pursues the player, and improve how AI deals with sharp descents in caves and such. Because now it's quite easy to hide indeed, if you have enough space to runaway, and there is no other hard enemies in neighboring rooms.

squerol

Post by squerol »

L57 wrote: Wed Feb 26, 2020 9:25 am It feels to me like you're testing this in open spaces, where you can always step back unlimitedly, or you have OP character build, or you abuse save/load a lot and don't notice it, or you leveled-up too fast somehow and already became a killing machine...
Nope.
After reading Your message I've even tried minimum speed (10) and 5% running skill, low END and STR and HP per level build and... Even on that insanely low speed I could sprint-back-spam-attack anything without receiving any damage. It just takes more time to kill anything because slow player attack speed - not making game harder. Just don't stop and You can defeat anything only thing to watch out are bullets which from time to time happens (arrows and magic). Even if You don't stop enemy will glitch in place constantly.

Another reason why I've made minimum speed build because I had idea to slow down player and apply speedhack in cheat engine - so 2x game speed makes previously slow player speed decent while boosting everything else. Sadly it doesn't change much because enemies stll can't reach player :roll: Only difference is that when You somehow got hit You receive more than 2 hit comboses.

Dungeons aren't problem for me because enemies are glitching constantly (standing/rotating in place) because their poor tracking. Stunlocking enemies also helps.

btw Ralzar I've checked some monsters HP values and sure Your mod isn't working - for example Orc minimal HP should be 40 while in game I've encountered about 20 hp ones.

L57

Post by L57 »

squerol wrote: Wed Feb 26, 2020 10:58 am
After reading Your message I've even tried minimum speed (10) and 5% running skill, low END and STR and HP per level build and... Even on that insanely low speed I could sprint-back-spam-attack anything without receiving any damage. It just takes more time to kill anything because slow player attack speed - not making game harder. Just don't stop and You can defeat anything only thing to watch out are bullets which from time to time happens (arrows and magic). Even if You don't stop enemy will glitch in place constantly.
It's true that you can kill anything this way, but that's not the point. You have to kill lots of enemies, not just a single one, and often there are multiple enemies at once. From time to time you will make a mistake and enemy will hit you. The point of the game to minimize a number of such mistakes and to be able to clear the dungeon in a limited time, ideally - resting only to replenish your stamina.

This is why DF has time limits for quests, though in DFU they are easied.

Also, do you play with 'click to attack' option or vanilla mechanics?
(standing/rotating in place)
That's interesting, I don't remember this happening that often. In my experience, enemies are tend to reduce the distance, but humans can be stuck trying to switch from melee to bow and vice versa, which I make advantage of.

I use extensively running-back-and-forward tactic, but enemies sometimes strike just at the moment when I run up to hit. The latter definitely depends on player experience though, you have to get used to these attack timings.

Magicono43

Post by Magicono43 »

Ralzar wrote: Wed Feb 26, 2020 7:17 am Yeah, thanks for the help man, but I think those errors are just on your side. I'd reccomend doing a fresh download of the master, unpack it in a new folder and then open that folder with Unity.

I ran quite a few tests last evening and I can only come to one conclusion:

Meaner Monsters never worked in live?

It works fine in Unity, but once compiled into a modfile it just stops working. I can extract the code from that mod file, stick it back into Unity and it works again.

So unless Hazelnut manages to figure out a solution (he's a bit busy at the moment) I will attempt reverting to the original code first used, which was more hassle but might circumvent whatever problem is causing this.

I'll probably have a new build out later today. I'll also have to do some testing to see if Meaner Monsters should use the really buffed numbers from the latest update or the original numbers I set, seeing as we've probably never seen the mod active in live :oops: :lol:
Man, that's really strange. Well if the case is that it was never working in live, i'm glad I brought it to your attention at least. Thanks for looking into it yourself and confirming that it was not all on my side. If you release the reverted version, i'll be sure to bug-test that myself as well.