Menu for mod configuration is missing.

Post here if you need help getting started with Daggerfall Unity or just want to clarify a potential bug. Questions about playing or modding classic Daggerfall should be posted to Community.
BGsniper26

Menu for mod configuration is missing.

Post by BGsniper26 »

So on earlier versions of DF Unity I remember opening up a launcher kind of menu where mods could be activated and set up and settings tweaked before playing, and the background was a big house in DF or something like that. But now when I open the EXE it just goes straight to the DF Unity main menu with load game, new game, and exit game....Where did it go? I would like to configure and activate certain mods that say it is still there. Was it cut out, or should it be there and something is wrong with my installation? Thank you in advance for any help.

Dubiousintent

Re: Menu for mod configuration is missing.

Post by Dubiousintent »

Working for me. My guess would be your problem lies in how you updated to the latest engine. What follows in my "unofficial" process based upon previous posted advice:

DO NOT add or update any mods until after you have installed and migrated to the new engine. This is primarily to reduce confusion as to the possible source of any problem.
  • Install the new game engine to a new folder. Keeping the old and new versions of the engine separate is very important. Recommend adding a suffix such as "_old" to the existing folder (e.g. "Daggerfall Unity 0-10-20_old"), so it will no longer be recognized by existing links or shortcuts. This will help track down those later.
  • You might want to test starting the game at this point (without any mods) just to confirm all is working correctly. If you renamed the old folder properly, you will want to launch the game ("DaggerfallUnity.exe") directly from the new folder until you get to the step about correcting your old links and shortcuts, which occurs later on.
Now you want to migrate your installed mods to the new engine folder. Here is my recommended process:
  • In the previous version of the engine folder, select all of the folders under "StreamingAssets".
  • COPY (hold the <CTRL> key while dragging) the selected folders from the older engine folder to the new engine folder.
  • Then when told the destination already has a folder named the same, check (enable) the box for "Do this for all current items" before responding "Yes" to "Merge" the FOLDER when prompted. (You want to "Copy" so you can try again if the next step goes wrong. Once you select "Merge", you should now see a "progress bar" iniicating it is copying some number of items. It is dealing with files that do not have any conflicts with existing versions at this point.)
* If prompted "The destination has X files with the same names", you want to select "Skip these files". (You want to keep any updates the new engine provides.)

Alternatively,

* When prompted "There is already a file with the same name in this location", note that the "Don't copy" option should show the file date is "(newer)". Enable the checkbox at the bottom of that window so it will "Do this for the next XXX conflicts" FIRST, and then select "Don't copy". (If you do this in the reverse order, you will have to answer the same question for each file conflict.)
  • Change any links/shortcuts/helper programs to point to the new game engine folder. Recommend you change the old version folder name so anything still pointing to it will now fail.
  • Now you can update any mods to work with the new engine.
  • Check the "ReadMe.txt" file in the package for possible changes to the instructions before installing.
  • Delete the existing, older mod file. Do not attempt to simply "overwrite". This prevents possible problems due to changes (deliberate or accidental) in the mod's file name.
  • Verify the new game engine is being accessed and the added or updated mod(s) loaded correctly.
  • Once verified to be functioning correctly, you can now delete the old game engine folder.
If you need to revert to an older version, re-install it and any mods from original package files. Do not attempt to "migrate backwards" s this will almost certainly cause conflicts.

-Dubious-

BadLuckBurt

Post by BadLuckBurt »

@OP

Go to your Daggerfall Workshop in AppData\LocalLow and open the ini file with your DFU settings.

I think you disabled that screen once in the settings and you have to change it back by editing the ini. Not at a pc atm but the value you need to change should easy to find.

check Interkarmas post at the top of this Help & Discussion section for instructions how to find the Daggerfall Workshop folder
Last edited by BadLuckBurt on Sun Jan 08, 2023 12:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DFU on UESP: https://en.uesp.net/w/index.php?title=T ... fall_Unity
DFU Nexus Mods: https://www.nexusmods.com/daggerfallunity
My github repositories with mostly DFU related stuff: https://github.com/BadLuckBurt

pango

Post by pango »

Most likely at some point you disabled the launcher step (unchecked "Always show this window" in the launcher main screen).

Since 0.10.19 you can just keep the Shift key pressed while you start Daggerfall Unity, and the launcher should appear, even if disabled in the configuration.
Up to you then to re-enable it, or to use that procedure whenever you need to access the launcher.
Last edited by pango on Sun Mar 08, 2020 8:20 am, edited 2 times in total.
Mastodon: @pango@fosstodon.org
When a measure becomes a target, it ceases to be a good measure.
-- Charles Goodhart

BadLuckBurt

Post by BadLuckBurt »

pango wrote: Sun Mar 08, 2020 8:15 am Since 0.10.19 you can just keep the Shift key pressed while you start Daggerfall Unity, and the launcher should appear, even if disabled in the configuration.
Up to you then to re-enable it ("Always show this window"), or to use that procedure whenever you need to access the launcher.
Awesome, I'll make sure to remember that. I always let it show now but it would speed up testing a bit in some cases if I can disable it
DFU on UESP: https://en.uesp.net/w/index.php?title=T ... fall_Unity
DFU Nexus Mods: https://www.nexusmods.com/daggerfallunity
My github repositories with mostly DFU related stuff: https://github.com/BadLuckBurt

MATEOfromTheCrypt

Post by MATEOfromTheCrypt »

I'm also having this problem, and holding shift just asks me if I want to keybind or something?
I'm brand new to PC, so I thought an older game would be good for training wheels?
Any help would really be appreciated :D

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

MATEOfromTheCrypt wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 10:39 pm I'm also having this problem, and holding shift just asks me if I want to keybind or something?
I'm brand new to PC, so I thought an older game would be good for training wheels?
Any help would really be appreciated :D
Hey MATEOfromTheCrypt, welcome to the forums! :)

The keypress at start is hard to time right under Windows. I think the easiest way to re-enable launcher is to open settings.ini and set the following line back to True.

Code: Select all

[GUI]
ShowOptionsAtStart = True
Let us know if you get stuck finding settings.ini and either myself or someone else around the forums will be happy to help. Good luck!

pango

Post by pango »

Interkarma wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 11:22 pm The keypress at start is hard to time right under Windows.
Yeah, I still think that was a good idea, but we need to find a way to make it work...
Mastodon: @pango@fosstodon.org
When a measure becomes a target, it ceases to be a good measure.
-- Charles Goodhart

MATEOfromTheCrypt

Post by MATEOfromTheCrypt »

Yay! It worked! I don't remember how I found the .ini, but I did! :lol:

Thank you all so much for the help! :D

I really appreciate it! :*

Kid.Cudi.47

Post by Kid.Cudi.47 »

BadLuckBurt wrote: Sun Mar 08, 2020 3:57 am @OP

Go to your Daggerfall Workshop in AppData and open the ini file with your DFU settings.

I think you disabled that screen once in the settings and you have to change it back by editing the ini. Not at a pc atm but the value you need to change should easy to find.

check Interkarmas post at the top of this Help & Discussion section for instructions how to find the Daggerfall Workshop folder
i dont have any daggerfall workshop in my appdata and shift isnt working, it was working fine prior to me disabling it but it worked one time after i disabled it and then stopped, also im pretty sure ive replied to this completely wrong this is my first time using this website