[Mod Idea] Toggleable HUD Element for Tracking Equipment Status

Talk about the mods you'd like to see in Daggerfall Unity. Give mod creators some ideas!
Magicono43

[Mod Idea] Toggleable HUD Element for Tracking Equipment Status

Post by Magicono43 »

While working on my own mod, I thought of something that would be a pretty cool. If somebody that enjoys making HUD objects and graphical objects and such. Basically a HUD element that would allow you to see what the status is of your current equipment. The main thing I was thinking of was for tracking remaining condition % on any piece of equipment, possibly even magical items you are wearing.

The inspiration for this was a not so often seen HUD element from World of Warcraft. Here is the thing i'm referencing:

WoW HUD Object Reference
WoW HUD Object Reference
Capture1.jpg (28.22 KiB) Viewed 1508 times

Ralzar

Re: [Mod Idea] Toggleable HUD Element for Tracking Equipment Status

Post by Ralzar »

Hm, that's a pretty good idea. While I like the minimal HUD in Daggerfall it would be nice to not have to open inventory and mouse over all parts of the armor all the time.

Magicono43

Post by Magicono43 »

Ralzar wrote: Mon Mar 16, 2020 8:09 am Hm, that's a pretty good idea. While I like the minimal HUD in Daggerfall it would be nice to not have to open inventory and mouse over all parts of the armor all the time.
The thing I would hope is that it could work similar to how it does in WoW honestly, that being it only ever shows up when there is any status of note currently there. Like if your boots are damaged to some degree or something, otherwise it would just stay hidden, unless the player wanted otherwise of course.

Ralzar

Post by Ralzar »

Riight, so the damaged parts just fade in as they get more and more damaged? That seems like a nice comproimise.

And yeah, a mod setting should be able to easily control if you want the fade behaviour or not.

Magicono43

Post by Magicono43 »

Ralzar wrote: Mon Mar 16, 2020 12:15 pm Riight, so the damaged parts just fade in as they get more and more damaged? That seems like a nice comproimise.

And yeah, a mod setting should be able to easily control if you want the fade behaviour or not.
Something like that, or even just if all of your equipment is above a certain percentage threshold, the HUD would just be completely hidden or something, and once something went below 40% or whatever it would become visible so you know that something is in bad condition. Could also do yours and just have it visible but out of the way, until something started to get more damaged.

This could be used for any sort of status really, condition damage is just the one that first came to mind for me, it could even show number of uses left on a magic item or something. Could even have added onto it simple stuff like if how much gold you currently are carrying. Could even mix it in with mods such as your own, like showing if your character is too cold or too hot, other status things like that.

I don't want to break immersion with it, just sort of make it so looking at your inventory is not as necessary for small things like knowing your gold count or how damaged your helmet is.

Ralzar

Post by Ralzar »

Yup, easiest way to do mod setting for this would be to have, for example, 3 levels for items: 80%, 50%, 20%.
Then have a slider setting that simply wasked when you wanted the item to visible on your HUD. If you set it to "20%" it only displays when the item is 20% or less.

Magicono43

Post by Magicono43 »

Ralzar wrote: Mon Mar 16, 2020 12:46 pm Yup, easiest way to do mod setting for this would be to have, for example, 3 levels for items: 80%, 50%, 20%.
Then have a slider setting that simply wasked when you wanted the item to visible on your HUD. If you set it to "20%" it only displays when the item is 20% or less.
Essentially what I was thinking, yeah. If nobody else takes this idea, i'll probably take a crack at it myself, but i'm still working on stuff that will "fix" the gameplay more, in my opinion of the term "fixed" of course. I just have it thrown on the pile of many other ideas, maybe somebody could have fun with this one though if they like making HUD elements like convenient clocks and such.

BansheeXYZ

Post by BansheeXYZ »

Ralzar wrote: Mon Mar 16, 2020 8:09 am While I like the minimal HUD in Daggerfall it would be nice to not have to open inventory and mouse over all parts of the armor all the time.
dfall items have massive durability compared to other games, there are hundreds of opportunities to check durability in your inventory before something actually breaks. A HUD icon is overkill, just flash the equipment sprite red a few times when you go into your inventory.

King of Worms

Post by King of Worms »

I like the idea presented in the opening post, I might try to create some graphics for it laters

Magicono43

Post by Magicono43 »

King of Worms wrote: Tue Mar 17, 2020 8:17 pm I like the idea presented in the opening post, I might try to create some graphics for it laters
Really, if somebody wanted to take the easy route they could just "borrow" that graphic from WoW honestly, but if they wanted to make it specifically, that would probably look better than just ripping it from another game.