[MOD] Races Redone

A curated forum for compatible and maintained mods. Users are unable to create new topics in this forum but can reply to existing topics. Please message a moderator to have your mod moved into this forum area.
Ralzar

[MOD] Races Redone

Post by Ralzar »

Races Redone
Offering different sets of rules for racial bonuses/drawbacks.

Dowload from NEXUS

Thanks to ACNAero for the idea and hashing out the modern rules with me.

Summary
I recently discovered that Daggerfall does not apply the racial attributes. Neither when creating custom class or the prefab classes. This mod re-introduces this and offers an optional "modern" ruleset inspired by the rules from other ES games and the Daggerfall race descriptions.

Classic Rules
https://en.uesp.net/wiki/Daggerfall:Races

Modern Rules

Advantages: Note that some races gain advantages like Athleticism. These are the class Advantages and will not be cumulative with taking a class that gives the same advantage.

Argonians
+10 INT, +10 AG, +10 SPD, -20 PER, -10 END
Immunity: Poison
Resistance: Disease
Short Blade ToHit & Damage: + Level / 2
Water Breathing
Reduced Fatigue loss while swimming.

Breton
+10 INT, +10 WIL, -10 STR, -10 END
Spell Points: Slight increase
Resistance: Magic

Dark Elf
+10 STR, +10 INT, +10SPD, -20 WIL, -10 PER
Resistance: Fire
Short Blade ToHit & Damage: + Level / 3
Long Blade ToHit & Damage: + Level / 4
Missile Weapon ToHit & Damage: + Level / 4

High Elf
+10 INT, +10 WIL, +10 AG, -20 STR -10 END
Immunity: Paralysis
Low Tolerance: Fire, Frost, Shock, and Magic
Spell Points: Substantial increase

Khajiit
+10 END, +10INT, +10 AG, -20 WIL, -10 PER
Acute Hearing
Athleticism
Hand to Hand ToHit & Damage: + Level / 2
Short Blade ToHit & Damage: + Level / 4
Classic Bonus: +30 to Climbing checks

Nord
+20 END, +10 ST, -20 INT, -10 WIL
Resistance: Frost
Axe ToHit & Damage: + Level / 3
Blunt ToHit & Damage: + Level / 3

Redguard
+10 END +10 AG, +10 SPD, -20 INT, -10 WIL
Adrenaline Rush
Resistance: Poison and Disease
Long Blade ToHit & Damage: + Level / 3

Wood Elf
+20 AG, +10 SPD, -20 STR, -10 END
Missile Weapon ToHit & Damage: + Level / 3

Magicono43

Re: [MOD] Races Redone

Post by Magicono43 »

When you say "modern ruleset" what do you mean by that? Like the stat changes and bonuses are more from the modern titles?

Ralzar

Post by Ralzar »

Yes. Not an exact replica of Morrowind or Oblivion by any means, but more in line with them but adjusted for Daggerfalls rules.

Magicono43

Post by Magicono43 »

Ah ok, i'll have to give it a shot, and of course comb through your code and see exactly how you made this work, lol.

Ommamar

Post by Ommamar »

Deleted
Last edited by Ommamar on Sat Apr 18, 2020 12:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

Ralzar

Post by Ralzar »

Ommamar wrote: Mon Apr 06, 2020 12:23 am I like the idea of races adding flavor but this seems to be a bit too extreme and pigeon holes the player into a path based on their race. Since you can already adjust the attributes as you want maybe just keep the skill modifiers or make it customizable on what you want implemented. I get it is a mod and not everyone will want to utilize it so those are just suggestions that I would change.
I might implement a mod setting for attributes effect on/off. But I'm honestly getting a bit sick of mod settings :D

One thing this does even for custom classes: Allows you to begin with below 20 and above 75 attributes.

As for the pigeon-hole thing: yeah, I see what you mean but honestly you're only pigeonholed as long as you want to make the most optimal build. Daggerfall gives you so much leeway that it's honestly not a problem to start with a few attributes lower than you could potentially have them.

Baler

Post by Baler »

This is great! I'm happy I can now have race affect stats with custom class. The limitation in vanilla that racial attributes only applied to pre-made classes was such an under sight.
If I may be so bold I think the Modern Rules are a very welcome addition!

Increased build diversity is important in RPGs and races redone opens new doors to replay ability and character diversity.

ACNAero

Post by ACNAero »

Ommamar wrote: Mon Apr 06, 2020 12:23 am I like the idea of races adding flavor but this seems to be a bit too extreme and pigeon holes the player into a path based on their race.
I think the only pigeonholing we made was in the High Elves, since playing a no-magic character is a giant waste and turns them from “magical glass cannon” into just “glass.” But even then, playing a mage/warrior or mage/thief of some kind solves that. Everyone else, like Ralzar said, is only pigeonholed if you focus on optimization and min-maxing, DF is still open enough that making something like a Nord mage is still possible, just a bit more challenging at the start if you don’t set your attributes up right, which is honestly the same as Morrowind and Oblivion.

Jhonrock

Post by Jhonrock »

Nice mod man!

I've been asking myself for a while now why the races attributes differences did not apply when creating a custom class. It didn't made sense for me because the customized option was the class not the race.

But I would like an option to keep all the other race aspects intact, just to be more faithfull to the original game.

QUESTION: A race with "resistance to something" means this race will start with 75% resistance that type of damage, right? So, if on character creation I pick the same resistance advantage, will I have 100% defense against it? It will be a good option to not burn the advantage points.

ACNAero

Post by ACNAero »

Jhonrock wrote: Mon Apr 06, 2020 10:06 pm Nice mod man!

I've been asking myself for a while now why the races attributes differences did not apply when creating a custom class. It didn't made sense for me because the customized option was the class not the race.

But I would like an option to keep all the other race aspects intact, just to be more faithfull to the original game.
1. It actually was never coded in at all, it didn’t work for customs nor premades from my understanding.

2. That’s why there’s a Classic option, that is the attribute changes Beth intended and the vanilla racial bonuses.