Debunk this - ppl who build Cheops pyramid knew the speed of light

Off topic discussion. Talk about gaming and life in general. Be awesome to each other.
Baler

Re: Debunk this - ppl who build Cheops pyramid knew the speed of light

Post by Baler »

They likely knew light was the fastest thing feasible.
^While this isn't as exciting as you were hoping, It's a pretty simple answer.

Keep in mind light speed is only constant to where it is being locally measured.

edit: removed junk from post.

DigitalMonk

Post by DigitalMonk »

MasonFace wrote: Tue Apr 28, 2020 1:47 pm I think these are fun. I've always thought there should be a required high school class on critical thinking where the teacher spends the entire class period trying to convince the class of something and the students have to note as many wrong assumptions and logical fallacies as they can, then write a rebuttal as homework. Sort of like a debate, but in more of a written essay format. Then every once in a while, do a topic that sounds too crazy to be true but actually is true, just to see if the students are actually learning critical thinking or are just being skeptical.
I _really_ like that idea!

I had a friend whose girlfriend was taking a philosophy course. Every session, the professor pointed out all of the flaws in whatever he had convinced them of in the prior session, then showed them the truth. Or, at least, the "truth" until the next session. Over and over. And apparently, it broke their tiny little minds. I think that was probably a good thing. I hope at least some of them came out of it with some better understanding of the evolving nature of truth and how easy it is to be convinced of things...

ByteMixer

Post by ByteMixer »

Hmmm, maybe I'll pick my friend's brain on this.

Before the shelter in place stuff, I would semi-regularly jam with him on Sundays. Met him when I was looking for other musicians to jam with for funsies. (before I got involved with starting a band)

Said friend happens to be an anthropology professor at University of Pennsylvania, archaeologist, and head curator at Penn Museum (which houses a smaller Sphinx statue in the basement along with some other artifacts and a couple mummies, including a mummified cat) His specialty is in South American/Latin American cultures, but he has been to Egypt and been involved with a couple projects there as well.

I helped him out a little last year by cleaning up some audio of some multi-chambered pots from Peru that they were investigating/researching in the museum lab. How the pots worked, how the sounded as they were being filled with water, and as water was poured out, what they might have been used for, what kind of liquids they might have held, etc.

But I digress. I'll try to remember to send him an email about this soon.
"Whatever you do, make good art." - Neil Gaiman

Skipper

Post by Skipper »

I dont accept copy/paste of a link or any kind of replies like that as a debunking. I accept only people using their brains to show me where Im wrong and why.
People who use their brains, don't waste their time to repeat the work that was already done.
https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/pyram ... eed-light/

Fortunately, your acceptance is NOT required.

Jay_H

Post by Jay_H »

Well this has taken a lovely turn, hasn't it? :) I invite all participants to coordinate via PM or some other method.