Reinforcements arrived.

Discuss coding questions, pull requests, and implementation details.
mikeprichard

Re: Reinforcements arrived.

Post by mikeprichard »

I hope it's OK if I very briefly hijack the thread for one post, as I noticed a new person skilled at coding and interested in contributing has joined - always great to see for a yahoo like me with no technical skill who just likes to enjoy even more great features and content in DFU. My question: is there already someone working/planning to soon begin work on implementing the "Exit to Main Menu" function (preferably to the DFU main menu, so settings can first be changed, with the classic main menu then only one click away) on the ESC menu or elsewhere? If not, would Galactic Chimp be interested/suited to the task? Sorry if this is an inappropriate post, but I was simply pleased to see a new developer coming in to help - cheers, and carry on!

Galactic Chimp

Post by Galactic Chimp »

Progress!
Welcome.PNG
Welcome.PNG (266.64 KiB) Viewed 1899 times
Now, it's time to connect rumors.

Galactic Chimp

Post by Galactic Chimp »

mikeprichard wrote: Fri May 01, 2020 11:37 pm I hope it's OK if I very briefly hijack the thread for one post, as I noticed a new person skilled at coding and interested in contributing has joined - always great to see for a yahoo like me with no technical skill who just likes to enjoy even more great features and content in DFU. My question: is there already someone working/planning to soon begin work on implementing the "Exit to Main Menu" function (preferably to the DFU main menu, so settings can first be changed, with the classic main menu then only one click away) on the ESC menu or elsewhere? If not, would Galactic Chimp be interested/suited to the task? Sorry if this is an inappropriate post, but I was simply pleased to see a new developer coming in to help - cheers, and carry on!
Well I could try but this looks it would involve changing the pause menu. This is probably doable (don't quote me on this). I'll take a look after finishing my current task, unless a more experienced dev has any objections.

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

Woo, nice one! :)

Also Mike, I was looking at fixing that New Game UI escape key bug when you posted. It's fixed now.

https://github.com/Interkarma/daggerfal ... e1f8485855

mikeprichard

Post by mikeprichard »

Very nice - thank you both! And great to see Chimp making so much progress already on the board feature - going to be fun to see it in game.

Galactic Chimp

Post by Galactic Chimp »

Progress!
First bulletin.PNG
First bulletin.PNG (189.01 KiB) Viewed 1852 times
Sec bulletin.PNG
Sec bulletin.PNG (125.06 KiB) Viewed 1852 times
3rd bulletin.PNG
3rd bulletin.PNG (129.87 KiB) Viewed 1852 times
Looks pretty nice so far, if I may say so myself.

Some questions I have:

-How can you add newline in a MessageBox? I wanted the messages to be: "{CityName} \n {Rumor}" but \n doesn't work.
-Currently the message changes each time you read it. Does anyone know how often the message change in Classic? Perhaps each time the rumors are recalculated? It's easy to fix this once I have the info.

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

Well done! This is coming together quickly. :) For the first question, you'll need create a token array. I'll put together an example for you when I can, won't be in front of my PC for next several hours.

Not sure on frequency, but it's not often. I had to travel around quite a bit before I saw even a single rumour posted. Maybe Ferital or someone else familiar will be able to help here.

Ralzar

Post by Ralzar »

It shouldn't be the main focus obviously, but I'll still just throw this out there: mod access to the billboard text.

I'm sure some modders could come up with some fun stuff to use those for ;)

Galactic Chimp

Post by Galactic Chimp »

More progress:
better bulletin board formatting.PNG
better bulletin board formatting.PNG (141.09 KiB) Viewed 1833 times
looks better now.

The code is a bit ugly, but I'll refactor it later, after everything works (actual changes are after L342 ):

https://github.com/GalacticChimp/dagger ... 6e2cc0165d
Ralzar wrote: Sun May 03, 2020 8:56 pm It shouldn't be the main focus obviously, but I'll still just throw this out there: mod access to the billboard text.

I'm sure some modders could come up with some fun stuff to use those for ;)
I'll see what I can do ;)

Galactic Chimp

Post by Galactic Chimp »

Ok, since I'm waiting for Ferital to research classic behavior of Bulletin Boards (more specifically, how often they change), I'll take a look at something else to work on, for now.