Combat Overhaul Alpha

Show off your mod creations or just a work in progress.
l3lessed

Re: Combat Overhaul Alpha

Post by l3lessed »

MasonFace wrote: Thu May 21, 2020 1:38 pm Man, that looks really good!
Thanks Mason, if you're talking about the video.

These are just the placement holder animations too. I haven't done any refining of positioning or the lerping calculations.
My Daggerfall Mod Github: l3lessed DFU Mod Github

My Beth Mods: l3lessed Nexus Page

Daggerfall Unity mods: Combat Overhaul Mod

Enjoy the free work I'm doing? Consider lending your support.

olgimpy

Post by olgimpy »

Really helpful info, thank you!
Here's the updated png with alpha/noise:

I'll probably do the damage overlay/masking in Photoshop and export the each asset as a unique png... just to get some nice alpha damage. It will still be a single tweakable overlay/mask, but can live on the authoring side. Probably 3 levels (Perfect, Good, Poor for now).

Does this site have all the shields you'll need? I haven't played the game yet so I don't know :D
https://en.uesp.net/wiki/Category:Dagge ... ages-Armor

MasonFace

Post by MasonFace »

Yes, I was referring to the video, but olgimpy's arm/shield images are outstanding as well.

daggerdude

Post by daggerdude »

Here's something i whipped up real quick for the heater shield/tower shield.It's just a small edit of the fabulous work already done! It's a little short for the tower shield but the tower would not be seen off screen for a bit so it could be extended - i made them from the full size images so that they can be processed as desired.
Attachments
small heater.png
small heater.png (25.59 KiB) Viewed 2465 times
small heater2.png
small heater2.png (25.1 KiB) Viewed 2465 times

rapidlenny

Post by rapidlenny »

I made an account specifically to ask, how do I install this mod?

This is pretty much the #1 mod on my list in order for Daggerfall to be playable to me

olgimpy

Post by olgimpy »

daggerdude wrote: Mon May 25, 2020 1:07 am Here's something i whipped up real quick for the heater shield/tower shield.It's just a small edit of the fabulous work already done! It's a little short for the tower shield but the tower would not be seen off screen for a bit so it could be extended - i made them from the full size images so that they can be processed as desired.
This is awesome!

l3lessed

Post by l3lessed »

Okay, Okay, I'll get up a release version. I'll even drop it on nexus.

Also, sorry, the most recent github version had an issue, I just noticed and fixed.

Anyways, here is where I am with the shield system. The four basic animations are in, raising, lowering, holding, and on hit.

It also blocks all incoming damage, no matter the source or direction for right now. If I can make it only block enemies 180 degrees in front of you, I will.

I have been trying to get in some more advanced features animations, like timed blocks with different animations with a small enemy push back, but this is little more tricky because of lerp timings and ensuring the png moves smoothly between animations.

Current features planned for the shield module:
  • Active blocking to allow holding with movement/look reduction.
  • Timed block window, which will cause a small enemy push back and stun.
  • Tie shield times/animations/effectiveness to appropriate player stats (Agility & any blocking skills).
  • Tie enemy damage blocked to a fatigue reduction (Will take less fatigue the better your blocking related skills).
  • Shield bash. Cost small amount of fatgiue, pushes back enemy. Causes slight stun if the enemy is mid-attack.
  • Put in audio feedback sounds for successful blocks (Use games on hit metal clinking sound).

l3lessed

Post by l3lessed »

Daggerdude,

that artwork is amazing. I'll start trying to move it into what I'm working in and remove my crappy place holder image.

I found one small issue. I need to figure how to properly calculate resizing the images for the traditional engine. I'm close, but the resize is still off when changing between resolutions.

l3lessed

Post by l3lessed »

Had a small bug, but, scaling down your png to 99% of the screen resolution fixed it for some reason. I think this has something to do with how the original engine renders and how it is being translated.

Man, it looks like it came shipped straight with the game. Thanks for the artwork. Can't wait to see all the other types.

Here is a video of your shield in 10.23 base.

*Edit*
Daggerdude,I hope it doesn't seem nit picky or rude. I have two observations after getting them in game and used.

The first is to use as much of the image space as possible. This will give me more play room with the offsetting/animations. As an example, I extended the bicep in both the shields you provided to give the animation room to move on the Y axis, which allows for more play room with the simulated animation.
ImageImage

Second is I would recommend using the base shield images/look to get it to match as close as possible. The style and art you're doing is amazing, but it is off from what it shows on the player in the ragdoll area. As an example, their smallest buckler is flat at the bottom, and the medium one has small star tips (your version is perfectly round matching neither). Same with the kite shield.
ImageImageImageImage

daggerdude

Post by daggerdude »

Just to be clear, OlGimpy is the one who originally created the artwork on the round shield and the arm, i simply edited the shape to be more heater like for your testing.

1.) I'm happy at trying to make more accurate replicas of the shields now that I have the high quality arm sprite.

2.) I can use the resampled size as a guide, but i'm not exactly sure what filter settings were used to produce the descaling effect shown which what i can gather as an attempt to try to match the existing fist.

3.) i'll look to the sizing of player dolls and the styles for inspiration.

Some notes regarding shields in terms of combat use from a SCA/HEMA guy.

Would recommend stamina drain amount multiplied by shield weight per second.
would recommend a successful parry freeze the enemy for about 1 second IN PLACE to allow for a backstab or a free hit, lifted either after one second or on a successful strike from the player.
would recommend a blocking skill regulate the length of the parry window with literally no skills making timing be 1 tic or 1/35 of a second, versus a skilled player having lets say 5 tics or 1/6 of a second window with an average shield - something that would happen in the middle of the animation after the warmup phase, with a wind down phase afterwards so you have to time attacks.

round/heater shield are about blocking blows by means of interception, IE proactive blocking - that means timed blocking for realism, and perhaps with a EXTREMELY SMALL WINDOW a perfect block would result in a parry/deflection stunning an opponent momentarily.

The buckler is more about parrying instead of blocking. I believe that should ALSO mean a timed block, but with a much smaller window and if successful it would stun an opponent. While the timing of the block would have to be shorter (quicker animations), the timing of the parry should be greater and the greatest of the shields.

The Tower shield is heavy and really about blocking by means of hiding behind it. A tower shield is usually at least 4 foot high if not larger. You should be able to hide behind the shield and hold block as long as your stamina holds out.

A well rounded player would choose a round shield (faster but better parry) or a heater shield (slower but longer block time and medium parry) to defend and attack balanced wise.
A aggressive player would choose a buckler to try to intercept and parry blows proactively (requiring better timing to accomplish) to allow for better attack opportunities.
A defensive player would choose a tower shield so that he can simply press the block button at the cost of a long windup and cooldown and therefore less attack potential.