CRPG: 'merchant of Kaidan' Feels like playing Daggerfall as a merchant.

Off topic discussion. Talk about gaming and life in general. Be awesome to each other.
Opcero

CRPG: 'merchant of Kaidan' Feels like playing Daggerfall as a merchant.

Post by Opcero »

Playing this game (0.99c on switch right now--It's on steam as well) gives me uncanny Daggerfall vibes. It's not 1st person (more board game like). Has anyone else played it?

I feel like the system would work so well ported into elderscrolls.

Magicono43

Re: CRPG: 'merchant of Kaidan' Feels like playing Daggerfall as a merchant.

Post by Magicono43 »

I've had an idea like this on my "mod idea" list for a little while. That basically being able to own and manage your own shop or multiple shops as a merchant. It's not something that would be easy by any stretch, but I definitely see it being possible with enough work put into it.

Opcero

Post by Opcero »

Kaidan gets pretty complex, but that simplest conceit is that you begin with what is essentially your horse and cart, each city has a range on what items go for (farm towns food is cheap, cities food is expensive) and you have access to that last 9 places you visited with what you paid and what it sold for.

Your character goes around buying low and selling high plus the cost of travel. It gets a lot more robust, but it's surprisingly fun and I can imagine it working really well given the size of Daggerfall.

MrFlibble

Post by MrFlibble »

By the screenshots, it looks like a very solid game. The gameplay as you describe it reminded me of a very old and very simple trading sim called Canton. It was fun but managing multiple caravans got tedious rater fast (the registered version apparently had it automated to an extent, but I only played shareware), and the supply-demand levels in each town were always fixed -- I think this is also the case with other early trading games like Merchant Prince/Machiavelli: The Prince, making the game rather dull in the log run if there are no supply-demand dynamics. But I'm pretty certain more modern games don't have this issue.

Regnier

Post by Regnier »

New guild: Bankers/merchants/traders guild

Banking the unbanked. Opens up the guild to trade with enemies and open shops selling this equipment. This would make dungeon diving a fiscal reality for a different reason. You could also hire adventurers to go dungeon diving and sell the loot in store. Adventurers would mostly bring back weapons and armor so if you go youll get options for more expensive/rare stuff. Add options to attempt bribery when in contact with enemies. Gold works with all but items and ingredients work much more with certain groups.

A rat could be 'bought' with an ingredient (something representing food. a fig?) making it passive.

Orcs would like gold but any shiny metal will do.

nymphs would accept flowers or jewels

daedra maybe would accept daedra hearts

Mummies would like elixer vitae

vampires would accept blood.

This would give another use for ingredients and increase the play style of a non combat character.

Personality, Luck and maybe Intelligence are important as well as speech skills, streetwise/etiquette and mercantile

Maybe you would have to rank up to open your own shop and would need to work with existing shops first.

ps. wouldnt it be cool if bats were afraid of torches