[MOD] Realtime Reflections

A curated forum for compatible and maintained mods. Users are unable to create new topics in this forum but can reply to existing topics. Please message a moderator to have your mod moved into this forum area.
Arioch

Re: [MOD] Realtime Reflections

Post by Arioch »

Nystul wrote: Thu May 28, 2020 1:01 pm did you extract the contents of RealtimeReflections_textures.zip into 'DaggerfallUnity_Data/StreamingAssets/Textures as mentioned in the readme file?
and make sure no other mod overwrites these afterwards since this could undo the effect.
btw, not all interior ground textures do have reflections, but the mages guild in daggerfall should have - so this is a good place to test
Aye, up to a couple of DU versions ago it used to work fine indoors but I had to disabled the mod for performance reasons. Since I’ve got a bit of performance headroom with retro rendering, I thought I’d give it another go - fine outside with the water pools in towns, crazy stutter in large dungeons/castles.

I’ll try deleting all the files and reinstalling the mod, I’ve just transferred the folders into each new DU release.

Edit: I've reinstalled the mod, checked all the texture files where were they should be, and I'm still not seeing the shiny floors - I'm in Castle Wayrest at the moment in the main hall, I think I can see a slight hint of the tall white columns showing on the marble floor, but that's it. In the water pools outside, everything is reflecting fine.

Edit2: I visited the Mage's Guild in Wayrest and that seems fine inside, performance was good. Slight oddity with the windows outside though:

Nystul

Post by Nystul »

Arioch wrote: Thu May 28, 2020 1:24 pm I'm in Castle Wayrest at the moment in the main hall, I think I can see a slight hint of the tall white columns showing on the marble floor
depending on floor texture, reflections can be subtle - so this sounds like working as intended.

regarding the window texture, this is likely a wrong metallicgloss map/metallic setting for the window texture. maybe an oversight but will have to test it. is this the mages guild in wayrest?

Arioch

Post by Arioch »

Nystul wrote: Thu May 28, 2020 9:30 pm
Arioch wrote: Thu May 28, 2020 1:24 pm I'm in Castle Wayrest at the moment in the main hall, I think I can see a slight hint of the tall white columns showing on the marble floor
depending on floor texture, reflections can be subtle - so this sounds like working as intended.

regarding the window texture, this is likely a wrong metallicgloss map/metallic setting for the window texture. maybe an oversight but will have to test it. is this the mages guild in wayrest?
I've been in Castle Wayrest and Direnni Tower, and my framerate tanked in both cases and I couldn't really see any reflections (it's been a while since using your mod prior to this DU release, but I thought they used to be more reflective) - the hint of white columns in Wayrest is like this:

Edit: hmmm, not sure what messed up the speed of the video, sorry. Also, I can see the column reflection a lot better in the video than I can when playing :)
...and yes, the Mage's Guild is the one in Wayrest. Thanks for having a look, it's a great mod!

Nystul

Post by Nystul »

it seems to be working as intended. about the framerate, what are your system specs?

btw, the window bug is a problem on your install - I guess leftovers from a different mod.
Which dfunity version and realtime reflections version do you use?

you can check in mages guild in daggerfall: it should look like this:

Arioch

Post by Arioch »

Nystul wrote: Fri May 29, 2020 6:54 am it seems to be working as intended. about the framerate, what are your system specs?

btw, the window bug is a problem on your install - I guess leftovers from a different mod.
Which dfunity version and realtime reflections version do you use?

you can check in mages guild in daggerfall: it should look like this:
I’m using DU 0.10.2 and RR 2.2.2 - I’ll try deleting the folder and trying again. The only other textures I‘ve installed are character based; CharcoalGhosts & (Slightly) Higher Res Vanilla Sprites.

Mage’s Guild looks like that for me, getting FPS in the 50’s there. I’m on my old laptop which is an i7 3612qm / GT630m 2gb / 8gb RAM, I get mostly high 50’s everywhere without RR activated, similar performance with it activated - apart from big indoor areas.

Edit: I've made sure the NVidia shader cache is disabled and I've just done a standalone install of DU & RR - the Mage's Guild windows are still the same.

Arioch

Post by Arioch »

My profuse apologies - mea culpa - the reason I wasn't seeing reflections in certain buildings was down to the Roughness Multiplier being set to 4.0, I've dropped this to 1.0 and I can see the reflections as I remember them from previous versions.

Looks like I'll have to temporarily disable the mod in future when going into the big interiors :(

Nystul

Post by Nystul »

Roughness Multiplier is 4.0 by default and the intentional value.
but glad you found a setting you like

regarding performance: I think your gpu is on the lower end in terms of performance
what you could try is to reduce reflection texture size to lower values in mod settings

Arioch

Post by Arioch »

Nystul wrote: Sat May 30, 2020 2:40 pm Roughness Multiplier is 4.0 by default and the intentional value.
but glad you found a setting you like

regarding performance: I think your gpu is on the lower end in terms of performance
what you could try is to reduce reflection texture size to lower values in mod settings
4.0 looks great on most floors and water apart from the green marble ones in Castle Wayrest - performance wise it’s fine everywhere apart from the big inside places. I’d already tried dropping the textures down to 64x64 but it didn’t help :D

The windows of the Mages Guild are still oddly shiny in Wayrest, so I’m going to travel around to see if they’re the same elsewhere.

Nystul

Post by Nystul »

Arioch wrote: Sat May 30, 2020 3:46 pm 4.0 looks great on most floors and water apart from the green marble ones in Castle Wayrest
you can always create a different metallicglossmap for the specific floor texture or if only the same metallic and roughness values for the texture are needed you can create a .xml file - take a look at the files in StreamingAssets/Textures and use the Daggerfall Imaging tool to find the correct texture archive/id

Arioch

Post by Arioch »

I've had another mess around regarding the shiny Mage's Guild windows - I made a clean install of DU, no mods, and they looked fine. I unzipped the texture folder from your mod into DU, still no mods installed or activated, and the windows went into the odd shiny look.