[MOD] Roleplay & Realism: Items (modular)

A curated forum for compatible and maintained mods. Users are unable to create new topics in this forum but can reply to existing topics. Please message a moderator to have your mod moved into this forum area.
mrmistophelees

Re: [MOD] Roleplay & Realism: Items (modular)

Post by mrmistophelees »

Understood. I suspect it's just a weird thing happening between two different mods, but I'm at a loss. I ended up starting a new game anyway, without the starter spells checked, and the spellbook is working as it should.

But in the interest of science, here is my save game with the problem.

Thank you for your great work on this mod, sir.
Attachments
SAVE3.zip
(492.7 KiB) Downloaded 129 times

Hazelnut

Post by Hazelnut »

Thanks for the complement, it's really good to hear that my work is appreciated and provides enjoyment for people.
(been feeling a bit burned out recently, so is super effective rn :D)

So I spent a couple hours looking into the issue with your savefile and it seems somehow the jumping spell has no effects which breaks the spell cost calculations code. No idea how this could have occurred honestly, since this is not actually a custom spell as such - just one that copies the standard classic spell like 5 others (as opposed to the 9 completely custom spells the mod defines) and it works just fine when I create a char with primary skill of Alteration. Also have a char from the initial development and testing that has it and it works just fine.

Wish I knew how this happened so I could prevent it happening again... but guess that's just going to remain in the realm of speculation.

Anyway, I fixed your save file in case you wanted to pick it up again...
SAVE3.zip
(492.72 KiB) Downloaded 131 times
See my mod code for examples of how to change various aspects of DFU: https://github.com/ajrb/dfunity-mods

Ralzar

Post by Ralzar »

Here's another player with the same Jumping spell error:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=3815&p=44488

And just to be sure, I created a new character with the magic skills and tested: no problem, everything worked fine. Jumping gets it effect bundle. I suspect the characters might have been made in an older version of DFU that's not compatible with the newer RP&R:Items code?

Lanjane

Post by Lanjane »

Dai-Katana renamed to Odachi which is the correct name
Hello dear Hazelnut and Ralzar!

Could you please make this specific change optional? I ask only from a lore-purist perspective because this particular seemingly "incorrect" name persisted through all games of the series, starting from Arena and ending with Skyrim (in some books). Thus Dai-Katana is actually correct, lore-friendly name unlike this "Odachi" thing which is completely foreign to the TES series.
Yes, I know that Akaviri weapons were inspired by Japan, but the degree of this "inspiration" was already set in stone by the original developers, so it would be cool to have a possibility to keep this name as is.

Hazelnut

Post by Hazelnut »

Hi, it was Ralzar who wanted the rename... but unfortunately it's not optional due to how it's read from a resource file by DFU. Options are either it can be changed back for everyone, or a variant could be released with the original name. It would be a pain to maintain 2 releases but possible. I have no way to gauge whether enough people care about the name for that to be worthwhile.

By all means fill us in on the lore though, because I've never even heard the term 'Akaviri' before. :)
See my mod code for examples of how to change various aspects of DFU: https://github.com/ajrb/dfunity-mods

Ralzar

Post by Ralzar »

Yeah for my part, and possibly Hazelnut, Elder Scrolls ends with Daggerfall. I never played Morrowind and I never finished Oblivion or Skyrim.

So personally I mostly just wanted the item drops to have less asian weapons seeing as none of the enemies or regions have any kind of asian theme. The actual name of the weapon? Not all that attached to it :D

Allerka

Post by Allerka »

Akavir is the continent to the east of Tamriel. It's used to have a human population that, from what little bits are seen, appears to be heavily Oriental in flavor (including the swords and armor that make their way across the ocean), though supposedly all the humans of Akavir are dead now. The Blades are even descended from one of their orders. There was some build-up in Morrowind implying an impending invasion (and possibly the plot of TES IV before Oblivion was developed) but nothing came of it, though they invaded a few times in the past (and is probably where more of their equipment comes from).

On a completely unrelated note, I happened to start a character who got the Jumping skill from this mod to start with, and I've had zero trouble with the spell. Seems to work perfectly fine for me, even across multiple mod and DFU updates and a fairly extensive mod list.

Ralzar

Post by Ralzar »

Allerka wrote: Mon Jun 22, 2020 9:30 pm On a completely unrelated note, I happened to start a character who got the Jumping skill from this mod to start with, and I've had zero trouble with the spell. Seems to work perfectly fine for me, even across multiple mod and DFU updates and a fairly extensive mod list.
Yeah I think that got identified as a problem with Daggerfall source files. So it depends on what version of original Daggerfall you are using to run DFU. It's a bug that might only be with the jumping spell, and almost no one makes that spell effect. But of course I had to go ahead and select that for one of our spells :roll: :lol:

Allerka

Post by Allerka »

I dunno, I get a fair bit of use out of it. My character's a very athletic type, so I do a lot of climbing walls and leaping about as opposed to just levitating everywhere. Or if the city guard is chasing me and I need an easy rooftop escape. I love being able to climb over surfaces and stuff, which vanished in all the later TES games.

harbinger451

Post by harbinger451 »

Dai-Katana renamed to Odachi which is the correct name
Hello dear Hazelnut and Ralzar!

Could you please make this specific change optional? I ask only from a lore-purist perspective because this particular seemingly "incorrect" name persisted through all games of the series, starting from Arena and ending with Skyrim (in some books). Thus Dai-Katana is actually correct, lore-friendly name unlike this "Odachi" thing which is completely foreign to the TES series.
For what its worth, I really think Dia-Katana should be reinstated entirely rather than just optionally ... its lore friendly and is what they're called in all other TES games. "Odachi" may be the correct Japanese term for them, but this is Tamriel. It kinda sploils the whole mod for me when you start messing with the names of things unnecessarily, which is a shame when so much of the rest of this mod is excellent.