Anyone remember this one? Bit of a cult classic.

Off topic discussion. Talk about gaming and life in general. Be awesome to each other.
ByteMixer

Anyone remember this one? Bit of a cult classic.

Post by ByteMixer »

Might have been brought up here before, now that I think about it. Gremlin Interactive's Realms of the Haunting.

So, I think I remembered playing this in my last year of High School. It came out in 1997, which was my senior year. Either that, or I played it during my first year of college. IIRC, my mom thought it looked interesting and liked the title, so she bought it for my birthday.

I don't think she quite realized some of the content in the game and some of the heavier biblical themes, such as visiting various dimensions like Sheol or Arqua. it was a pretty good (and long) game of its type for its time.

It does have pretty decent writing/narrative, and the FMV is fun, if a bit campy. But it's not without flaws. Some of the storyline gets a bit murky/tangled at points, and it doesn't really completely make sense until near the end of the game. Possibly some minor pacing issues as well. There are nods to other stories/films such as The Keep and The Thing. The very last scene very much reminds me of the ultimate fate of many Lovecraftian protagonists.

Pretty cheap on GOG as well. https://www.gog.com/game/realms_of_the_haunting
"Whatever you do, make good art." - Neil Gaiman

King of Worms

Re: Anyone remember this one? Bit of a cult classic.

Post by King of Worms »

I remember finishing this game in 90s. It had nice graphics, adventure like gameplay and it was dark 😊

Another similar game (3d adventure) of that era was a crazy "Normality" which I did not enjoy and the EPIC dark and deep masterpiece called "Azraels tear" which for me was a pinnacle of the genre... oh.. my.. god... 😊

MrFlibble

Re: Anyone remember this one? Bit of a cult classic.

Post by MrFlibble »

I had a heavily ripped version on one of those 90s warez CDs I eventually threw away. Never played it properly -- I just started it once to see what it was because I had no idea.

Later I came across a magazine coverdisk demo version which gives you the starting area with full FMVs and speech and stuff. I played that one and I'm positively impressed. A very good blend of horror adventure and FPS. I also have the full version at GOG.com but haven't gotten around to play it.