[MOD] Only Save After Resting (OSAR)

A curated forum for compatible and maintained mods. Users are unable to create new topics in this forum but can reply to existing topics. Please message a moderator to have your mod moved into this forum area.
Laicus

Re: [MOD] Only Save After Resting (OSAR)

Post by Laicus »

jefetienne wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 2:51 pm I was thinking of it saving without prompting
If you make this version or add this option to the mod, I will be immensely grateful.

jefetienne

Post by jefetienne »

Laicus wrote: Fri Jul 10, 2020 5:57 pm If you make this version or add this option to the mod, I will be immensely grateful.
Version 1.1 has been released, adding this feature and fixing the mod title as pointed out by Ralzar :)
El jefe, Etienne
Nexus Mods | GitHub

Laicus

Post by Laicus »

jefetienne wrote: Sat Jul 11, 2020 9:40 pm Version 1.1 has been released, adding this feature and fixing the mod title as pointed out by Ralzar :)
Thank you so much, it's 100 times more convenient and a little more realistic!

Ralzar

Post by Ralzar »

I've just started using this, and I'm liking it so far. It's nice to not spam the Quicksave button any more.

Two points:

1: The mod is still called "No saving without saving". I'm betting you ran into the same problem I have had many times: Editing the mod details in the mod builder window does not always "take". So you wind up building a mod where stuff like version number, name etc is not updated. Despite having clicked the "save mod settings" button several times.
I have simply switched to doing all mod info updating in the dfmod.json file instead. Then open the mod builder when I'm ready to build the mod.

2: Maybe add saving after fast travel? Resting and Fast Travel are both "breaks" in the gameplay. And it is implied that you do sleep in inns or camps when you fast travel ;)

Laicus

Post by Laicus »

I would like to have a time interval between saves, so that you can not save more often, for example, than once every 10 minutes (this can be configured in the settings) and only after a rest, of course. And stores should sell (expensive) some save stones, one stone is spent for each save, and if stone is not in the inventory, saving would be impossible, such stones may rarely be found in the game, for example, in the initial dungeon. That's the kind of hardcore I like.

In Morrowind, I also disabled health recovery when resting, health is restored only by expensive recovery potions (slowly and in small amounts) and at shrines with a large donation. I would very much like it to be the same in DFU, and even better, to have healers.

jefetienne

Post by jefetienne »

Ralzar wrote: Sun Jul 12, 2020 5:02 pm 1: The mod is still called "No saving without saving".
Yeah, Jay_H brought that to my attention in the discord channel :oops: I'll change it the next time a new release is made.
Ralzar wrote: Sun Jul 12, 2020 5:02 pm 2: Maybe add saving after fast travel? Resting and Fast Travel are both "breaks" in the gameplay. And it is implied that you do sleep in inns or camps when you fast travel ;)
Yeah, I could add that as a togglable option!
Laicus wrote: Sun Jul 12, 2020 5:14 pm I would like to have a time interval between saves, so that you can not save more often, for example, than once every 10 minutes (this can be configured in the settings) and only after a rest, of course.
Sure, that sounds pretty doable.
Laicus wrote: Sun Jul 12, 2020 5:14 pm And stores should sell (expensive) some save stones, one stone is spent for each save, and if stone is not in the inventory, saving would be impossible, such stones may rarely be found in the game, for example, in the initial dungeon. That's the kind of hardcore I like.
That's a cool idea, I like it! I would say I'd prefer it being a mod on its own though.
Laicus wrote: Sun Jul 12, 2020 5:14 pm In Morrowind, I also disabled health recovery when resting, health is restored only by expensive recovery potions (slowly and in small amounts) and at shrines with a large donation. I would very much like it to be the same in DFU, and even better, to have healers.
At the moment, manipulating the actual resting process is pretty locked down and hard to change via modding. I'd like to look into the future about decoupling some of the parts of DF windows if possible.
El jefe, Etienne
Nexus Mods | GitHub

Ralzar

Post by Ralzar »

Having played with it yesterday, my impression so far is that I like it in theory but in practice there are too few saves. I wound up renting rooms at inns just to sleep an hour to save. I think a lot of the problem arises from using Tedious Travel, becasue then you can have traveled for a day ingame, fought some enemies talked to NPCs, gotten a quest etc without resting.

Maybe a save every time you enter a map pixel?

In a way, my own playstyle from before was more hardcore in that I just used quicksave. So I was mashing that quicksave button pretty often, leaving myself no way to go back. What I am looking for in a mod like this is really an ironman-lite style of gameplay where there's no loading back further than a few minutes. (The original Ironman mod deleted your savegame if you died and did not allow loading savegames ingame.)
The only "hardcore" feeling it kind of lacked was that except in partiuclar circumstances you can't really loose in this game.

Depending on what you want to do with this mod in the future, I might consider doing my own version of it. Maybe with some kind of Ironman mode with the option of "lives"? If you want to do something like that, go right ahead of course, you're better at the coding than me and I allready have too many mods on my plate :D

jefetienne

Post by jefetienne »

Ralzar wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 6:02 am Having played with it yesterday, my impression so far is that I like it in theory but in practice there are too few saves. I wound up renting rooms at inns just to sleep an hour to save. I think a lot of the problem arises from using Tedious Travel, becasue then you can have traveled for a day ingame, fought some enemies talked to NPCs, gotten a quest etc without resting.
I have to admit these reasons that you gave are actually exactly what I wanted this mod to be. :lol: I personally enjoy the threat of losing a lot of progress if I don't get out of my way to find a place to save, and having taverns be places you need to visit way more often than in vanilla gameplay are also exactly what I had in mind.

I think that the Ironman-lite mod idea sounds pretty cool, but I wouldn't say it matches the vision I have for this mod at least. I will say you have my permission though to use my code from this mod to make it. :)
El jefe, Etienne
Nexus Mods | GitHub

Ralzar

Post by Ralzar »

jefetienne wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 6:39 am I have to admit these reasons that you gave are actually exactly what I wanted this mod to be. :lol: I personally enjoy the threat of losing a lot of progress if I don't get out of my way to find a place to save, and having taverns be places you need to visit way more often than in vanilla gameplay are also exactly what I had in mind.
Having played it a bit more I realize what the bigger problem is: I like the effect it has on dungeon crawling, however it also forces you to redo shopping, questing getting, traveling etc which isn't really tension-increasing, just tedious :D

jefetienne

Post by jefetienne »

Hmm, I wouldn't say it forces a player to redo anything significant if they develop the right habits, especially since they can rest and save in the wilderness right outside of a place before entering. They would be creating similar consistent habits of saving like they did when they played without the mod. Only thing now is that they can't save mid-combat, interrupted while resting, or publicly in-town.
El jefe, Etienne
Nexus Mods | GitHub