[MOD] Belwen and Brallion the Vampire Companions

Show off your mod creations or just a work in progress.
Knightwalker41

[MOD] Belwen and Brallion the Vampire Companions

Post by Knightwalker41 »

Original Source Mod/Companion Questpack Framework creator - imsobadatnicknames

Belwen and Brallion the Vampire Companions v1.20

Belwen the vampire girl (and Brallion the vampire gentleman) are searching in Taverns across the Illiac Bay for a hero they can join (if the hero will help them first). There may be occasional romance.

*Please update to v1.20 asap, I found a bug introduced with previous update causing spawning issues.*
20200822031654_1.jpg
20200822031654_1.jpg (241.63 KiB) Viewed 2550 times
Details:

There are 4 questpacks available, Belwen and Brallion, and the thralls. You can install either of them or install all for 4 vampiric companions.

*Belwen the vampire girl - found randomly in Taverns (Existing save: "startquest BW000")

*Brallion the vampire gentleman - found randomly in Taverns (Existing save: "startquest BL000")

Bonus:
*Mindless Female Thrall (No story/letters/gifts) - found randomly in Pawn Shops (Existing save: "startquest FEMTHR000")Download on Page 3

*Mindless Male Thrall (No story/letters/gifts) - found randomly in Pawn Shops (Existing save: "startquest MTHR000") Download on Page 3

Specific spawn details:
Spoiler!
They have a cooldown timer with a random value between 1 and 10 days, which starts running once the mod is activated. If the timer reaches 0 while you're inside a city, they'll appear at a random tavern in whatever city you're at. If the timer reaches 0 while you're in any place other than a city, they'll spawn at a random tavern in the next city you visit. Once they spawn, they'll remain there for 24 hours. If 24 hours go by and you haven't talked to them yet, they'll despawn and the random cooldown timer will start again.
If you successfully complete their quest they will be your companion. If you choose not to help them, you won't see them again (can't restart the questpack, you'll have to reload to an earlier save).

Once they become your companion they will start randomly showing up in dungeons, cities, villages, and hamlets for a couple of in-game hours to explore or help fight... or you can choose to tell them to come back later... or choose to dismiss them and tell them to go and wait indefinitely for you at another safe location in the region (also recorded in Journal).

Each time they appear you can click on them and talk.

They may send you letters or gifts from time to time.

Caveats:

Look for them in Cities, not towns (no walls), farmsteads, or inns etc.

Make sure "Enemy infighting" is turned ON in the DFU Advanced>Enhancement screen or they won't be able to help fight.

Unfortunately the game classifies all Companions as "Enemies" so this will impact your ability to Rest in the short time they are with you.

Your companions likely won't attack specific quest enemies, depending on how the quest was written.

There's a chance all of your companions will turn up at the same time, but remember you can dismiss any of them and tell them to go and wait for you someplace else.

Having a lot of companion questpacks installed could impact performance on low spec machines (I'm running pretty much every mod and questpack I can download for Daggerfall and haven't had issues yet, but your mileage may vary).

Occasionally when resting/sleeping, due to the game fast forwarding time and not pausing the rest menu quick enough, when your companion visits you could get a doppelganger companion. Treat this as if your companion brought a friend along.

**If there are any major issues please let me know and I'll do my best to fix asap.**

Installation:

(These are questpacks so should be compatible with any version of Daggerfall Unity)

1. Download the file (also available @ https://www.nexusmods.com/daggerfallunity/mods/116 )

2. Unzip the file inside StreamingAssets/Questpacks

3. If you're starting a new game, it should start working right away. If you're using it on a game you already started, you'll need to open up the console and type one of the above existing save codes (ONCE ONLY) to get it running. If this doesn't work, your version of DFU might only be able to start quests inside StreamingAssets/Quests from the console, so try moving the contents of the folder to StreamingAssets/Quests and try again.

Updating:

Replace the previous folder (within StreamingAssets/Questpacks) and all files with the new one you downloaded and unzipped.
Make sure all files are overwritten.

Funfacts: Belwen the Vampire Wood-Elf is my 'Elder Scrolls Online' Main Character; This was my first mod for Daggerfall Unity.

Permissions:

Please see imsobadatnicknames's permissions @

viewtopic.php?f=14&t=4041

https://www.nexusmods.com/daggerfallunity/mods/113

EDIT: 25/08/2020 Fixed the Description page so it's better presented and clearer
Attachments
Brallion Companion V1.2 (QuestPack).7z
(5.25 KiB) Downloaded 132 times
Belwen Companion V1.2 (QuestPack).7z
(5.25 KiB) Downloaded 146 times
Last edited by Knightwalker41 on Sun Aug 30, 2020 1:24 pm, edited 13 times in total.

Hazelnut

Re: [MOD] Belwen the Vampire Companion

Post by Hazelnut »

Maybe you could both get together and create a mod with all these companions in rather than loads of separate tiny mods?
See my mod code for examples of how to change various aspects of DFU: https://github.com/ajrb/dfunity-mods

Knightwalker41

Post by Knightwalker41 »

This one is my first attempt at modding DFU, but if there's no errors or fixes needed and I can make some more unique companions - A team-up Mega Pack is a good suggestion (Similar to Skyrim's 'Interesting NPCs' I guess, rather than the 100's of separate follower mods available in the Nexus Skyrim list).

imsobadatnicknames

Post by imsobadatnicknames »

That's a good idea, Hazelnut. Thogh, I'm probably gonna take a break from Daggerfall modding for a while, but as soon as I come back I'm gonna try to group all of my tiny mods into a single .dfmod package. We can (and probably should) definitely group up Ghaksha, Belwen and Lazerran (and maybe a few companions more) into a single companion mod.

Anyway, I'm glad to see belwen finally up and running can't wait to meet her in-game

EDIT: @Knightwalker410, now that I think about it... as long as you credit me for Ghaksha and Lazerran, I give you permission to release a companion pack with them, Belwen, and whatever other companions you come up with :B
Released mods: https://www.nexusmods.com/users/5141135 ... files&BH=0
Daggerfall isn't the only ridiculously intrincate fantasy world simulator with the initials DF that I make mods for: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=177071.0

Hazelnut

Post by Hazelnut »

You could group them without needing to create dfmod package - that's why they're called quest packs and not quest singles ;-)
See my mod code for examples of how to change various aspects of DFU: https://github.com/ajrb/dfunity-mods

imsobadatnicknames

Hazelnut wrote: Fri Aug 21, 2020 8:32 pm You could group them without needing to create dfmod package - that's why they're called quest packs and not quest singles ;-)
I thought about that, however the reason I want to release them in a dfmod where they are individually toggleable is the same reason I released them separately in the first place, I think players should have the ability to decide which ones of them they want to use instead of just having everything activated at the same time by default. Though I guess I could also simply rewrite the startup quests so that on startup the game asks you which features you want to activate, like Warm Ashes does.
Daggerfall isn't the only ridiculously intrincate fantasy world simulator with the initials DF that I make mods for: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=177071.0

Hazelnut

Post by Hazelnut »

Ah, so you don't have to actively seek out and hire these companions then? Makes sense now. yeah you can use settings to decide which quest lists you register or which quests you initiate. :)

l3lessed

Post by l3lessed »

They don't actually follow you, correct? They appear in places and just wonder around doing their thing.

I would like to move over to a companion framework follower mod after ambidexterity is largely in final development stage. I want to see if I can setup some form of a path finding system to get actual following followers, like in more modern games.

This is so cool though. In a way, it is more immersive. When you help people in real life, they don't stop their lives immediately and follow you around tell their dying days, no matter what you do. Instead, they do more what these two mods replicate. Love it.
My Daggerfall Mod Github: l3lessed DFU Mod Github

My Beth Mods: l3lessed Nexus Page

Daggerfall Unity mods: Combat Overhaul Mod

Enjoy the free work I'm doing? Consider lending your support.

imsobadatnicknames

l3lessed wrote: Fri Aug 21, 2020 10:37 pm They don't actually follow you, correct? They appear in places and just wonder around doing their thing.

I would like to move over to a companion framework follower mod after ambidexterity is largely in final development stage. I want to see if I can setup some form of a path finding system to get actual following followers, like in more modern games.

This is so cool though. In a way, it is more immersive. When you help people in real life, they don't stop their lives immediately and follow you around tell their dying days, no matter what you do. Instead, they do more what these two mods replicate. Love it.
If @knightwalker41 didn't modify the behavior from my original quest scripts too much, they don't actually follow you, they just appear once in a while when you're in a dungeon and do their thing. When they appear, every 20 in-game minutes they will be despawned and spawned again closer to you (and a message along the lines of "hey, wait up!" will appear) to give the impression that they're following you around. After 2 in-game hours of following you they will say goodbye and disappear until the conditions for them appearing (namely, a countdown and you entering a dungeon) are fulfilled again.

And you're totally right, I could've probably made it so that you could summon them whenever and then when you want to take them to a different place you could click on them to trigger a prompt that aks if you want to despawn them, and then summon them again in another place, but I did the original mod this way because I like the idea that followers have a life outside of you and will kinda just leave to handle their own issues and then come back to help you.

imsobadatnicknames

Hazelnut wrote: Fri Aug 21, 2020 9:32 pm Ah, so you don't have to actively seek out and hire these companions then? Makes sense now. yeah you can use settings to decide which quest lists you register or which quests you initiate. :)
You DO have to actively seek them out in taverns and hire them. I was talking about this plus my other mods (Battlefields, Mercenaries, Tavern Games, Perform at Taverns and Populated Buildings). I could've easily released them as a single mod, but I released them separately to give players the option to pick and choose which of those they want to have. Like, if I had released everything as a single big mod questpack that activates all of those things, but a player wanted to download it just for the tavern games feature, they'd end up with a ton of timers running in the background and needlessly bloating up their save file to activate some features that they might not even want in the first place.

Same with this. Since there's a timer controlling when companions like these appear in taverns to give you the opportunity to hire them, if we made 10 or so companions and released them in a single questpack, but someone downloaded it and only wanted Belwen, they'd end up with 9 timers constantly running in the background controlling the spawn of companions they don't even want, which it's why I think either releasing them separately or releasing them as a dfmod that allows them to toggle which companions they actually want to see in-game is probably the way to go :p