A very unpopular mage

Discuss Daggerfall Unity and Daggerfall Tools for Unity.
KovuCougar

A very unpopular mage

Post by KovuCougar »

Started up my first dedicated Daggerfall Unity character. Followed the JayH's Character Creation Guide to make a mage.

Turns out he's a very unpopular mage. Managed to get out of the Hold and to town. Figured it's time to continue to guide and go make some spells, so pop over to the Mages Guild.

My mage is so unpopular the Mages Guide doesn't want him! Got a message

"Your name is familiar to us, and not in a very favorable light, to be quite honest."

Now I'm left wondering what I did before I got myself shipwrecked in that cave that the Mages Guild in the kingdom of Daggerfall doesn't even want me! With very low physical combat stats and no ability to make the suggested spells, this is gonna be a very hard start...

Tried to look through the console to see if I could see just *how* bad this poor Khajiit's reputation is with the guild, but there doesn's seem to be a print_ for that in 0.10.24.

Now I have to figure out what non-guild quests a level 1 mage could pull off until my reputation with this faction rises enough.

Just a story to tell that struck me as a pretty funny but inauspicious start to completing the emperor's request!

pango

Re: A very unpopular mage

Post by pango »

Did you select "School of Julianos" as preferred temple during backgound character creation?
The Mages Guild and the School of Julianos hate each other (being, to keep it short, competitors), so if you did you started with a negative rep with the Mages Guild.
Doing few quests for them as non-member should fix it.
Mastodon: @pango@fosstodon.org
When a measure becomes a target, it ceases to be a good measure.
-- Charles Goodhart

MrFlibble

Post by MrFlibble »

If this is indeed not due to a bug I can only applaud at how the game keeps it interesting and unexpected for the player, generating new and exciting situations out of everything.

You'll have to make do with the pre-made spells though. I never played with a pure mage so I don't know how bad this can be. Also maybe it's a good time to start building the blunt weapon skill or something.

KovuCougar

Post by KovuCougar »

I think I figured out what happened here.

When creating character, I accidentally hit the "make a background automatically" option instead of the "ask me some questions". One of the decisions it made lowered my Mage guild rep.

Guess with the decisions it made, I started out as a rogue mage needing to prove myself first. :lol:

N_Molson

Post by N_Molson »

Had the same issue and yes I choosed Julianos (seems to make sense to worship the God of Logic & Knowledge as a mage).

So I clicked "Talk" instead of "Get Quest" and the guy gave me an "unofficial" quest (get an item in a dungeon). I was successful, and was able to join the guild after that. ;)