Need some help with a couple of aspects of Daggerfall...

Off topic discussion. Talk about gaming and life in general. Be awesome to each other.
ReddMcKnight

Need some help with a couple of aspects of Daggerfall...

Post by ReddMcKnight »

So, I basically just have some questions regarding Daggerfall itself that I just cannot figure out. Here they are:

1. What is the little fist symbol to the right of my Health, Stamina, and Magic bars?

2. Swinging my weapon seems slow compared to the smooth feeling of moving around. Can I fix this by adjusting settings?

3. I remember a different looking HUD in the original Daggerfall that showed your character's face. Is there a way to enable this in DF Unity?

Ralzar

Re: Need some help with a couple of aspects of Daggerfall...

Post by Ralzar »

1: The interaction mode? It shows what you do when clicking something. Change mode by pressing F1, F2, F3 and F4.

2: No. The weapon animation only has so many frames. What helps is having higher Speed so you swing the weapon faster.

3: Not yet.

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

The larger HUD is in the works. I started this one last year but ended up lowering priority. Now that localization is entering a functional state and the Unity 2019 LTS upgrade is done, this one will be back on the radar in a couple months time.

Ralzar

Post by Ralzar »

It's kind of ridiculous how many people seem to think that the fulls screen mode, WSAD and mouselook is a Daggerfall Unity thing. Which is probably caused to a large degree because vanilla defaults to the big HUD controls while DFU defaults to FPS controls.
But I always played Daggerfall like it's set up in DFU. I had no idea everyone else never even bothered to look at the ingame settings :D

ReddMcKnight

Post by ReddMcKnight »

I'm glad to hear it's in the works. Couldn't adjust to the Full Screen look in the original Daggerfall at all, but I learned to adjust with this project because it's so well done. I seriously cannot believe this is a thing. :)

On another note, I made the (probably stupid) choice of slaughtering 3 people to join the Dark Brotherhood, and now I'm a Scoundrel in the eyes of the Law of Daggerfall. Is there a way to erase that status on myself (via in-game, console, editing files, or otherwise), besides becoming a Criminal in the eyes of the Law by surrendering to the city watch?

Falci

Post by Falci »

ReddMcKnight wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 11:27 pm I'm glad to hear it's in the works. Couldn't adjust to the Full Screen look in the original Daggerfall at all, but I learned to adjust with this project because it's so well done. I seriously cannot believe this is a thing. :)

On another note, I made the (probably stupid) choice of slaughtering 3 people to join the Dark Brotherhood, and now I'm a Scoundrel in the eyes of the Law of Daggerfall. Is there a way to erase that status on myself (via in-game, console, editing files, or otherwise), besides becoming a Criminal in the eyes of the Law by surrendering to the city watch?
When I did that, I teleported through the mages guild to the southwestern most settlement in the map, killed the 3 random guys, then recalled into the mages guild in Daggerfall. Later I found out, after months, that my status as a criminal in that settlement was reset. So... just skip town for a few months, I guess.

Jay_H

Post by Jay_H »

ReddMcKnight wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 11:27 pmIs there a way to erase that status on myself (via in-game, console, editing files, or otherwise), besides becoming a Criminal in the eyes of the Law by surrendering to the city watch?
With the console you can do clear_negativelegalrep to get rid of it in all regions.

ReddMcKnight

Post by ReddMcKnight »

Jay_H wrote: Thu Sep 10, 2020 4:41 am
ReddMcKnight wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 11:27 pmIs there a way to erase that status on myself (via in-game, console, editing files, or otherwise), besides becoming a Criminal in the eyes of the Law by surrendering to the city watch?
With the console you can do clear_negativelegalrep to get rid of it in all regions.
Thank you, I appreciate your help.

Now, I'm sorry to keep bombarding the thread with more questions, but...

1. Is the game supposed to be challenging by default, or is it possible I'm playing wrong? I selected "Axe" as my primary (major?) weapon skill, but it still feels like I miss the enemies frequently.

2. When exiting a building with 2 floors (like the Dark Brotherhood Guilds) from the 2nd floor, is the game supposed to put me inside the building sometimes (like, I'm outside, but I'm INSIDE the building's model) as a glitch? Is this even a well known glitch?

Jay_H

Post by Jay_H »

ReddMcKnight wrote: Sat Sep 12, 2020 12:55 am 1. Is the game supposed to be challenging by default, or is it possible I'm playing wrong? I selected "Axe" as my primary (major?) weapon skill, but it still feels like I miss the enemies frequently.
It depends on several factors, but your weapon skill is the main one. You usually need to be above 40ish skill to hit things with general accuracy. You can increase your Speed stat to compensate for it, since it'll make you swing much faster.
2. When exiting a building with 2 floors (like the Dark Brotherhood Guilds) from the 2nd floor, is the game supposed to put me inside the building sometimes (like, I'm outside, but I'm INSIDE the building's model) as a glitch? Is this even a well known glitch?
It was a bug, which was supposed to have been fixed several versions ago. What DFU version are you using?

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

ReddMcKnight wrote: Sat Sep 12, 2020 12:55 am 2. When exiting a building with 2 floors (like the Dark Brotherhood Guilds) from the 2nd floor, is the game supposed to put me inside the building sometimes (like, I'm outside, but I'm INSIDE the building's model) as a glitch? Is this even a well known glitch?
Jay_H wrote: Sat Sep 12, 2020 1:07 am It was a bug, which was supposed to have been fixed several versions ago. What DFU version are you using?
Turns out there were two cases of this issue. I fixed one, but another issue remains. There's an open git issue for this one.

https://github.com/Interkarma/daggerfal ... ssues/1606

Fortunately not a critical issue and only happens with very specific building types. It's something I'd like to resolve around beta milestone.