Possible Shield Value Bug

Post here if you need help getting started with Daggerfall Unity or just want to clarify a potential bug. Questions about playing or modding classic Daggerfall should be posted to Community.
catmoraine

Possible Shield Value Bug

Post by catmoraine »

First ever playthrough, so I don't know if this is a carryover from vanilla or mayhaps a new thing to look at.

Anyway: the protective value of shields seems to be linked exclusively to their type, regardless of material (i e an elven buckler and a leather buckler both possess a quality of +1).

My mods are Warm Ashes, Tedious Travel, and Drop a Coin, so it seems unlikely to be related. I can upload a save or screencaps or both, whatever would be helpful.

Ralzar

Re: Possible Shield Value Bug

Post by Ralzar »

Yes, that's how shields work.

I think Physical Combat Overhaul mod changes that.

catmoraine

Post by catmoraine »

Strange. Thanks for confirming nothings awry, though. Seemed too much like an exploit to be intended behavior.

Hazelnut

Post by Hazelnut »

I suspect it was done so shields were not too powerful, but the material does affect how much they weigh and how sturdy they are.
See my mod code for examples of how to change various aspects of DFU: https://github.com/ajrb/dfunity-mods

ACNAero

Post by ACNAero »

Hazelnut wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 7:30 pm but the material does affect how much they weigh and how sturdy they are.
Enchantability too. Higher materials have more enchant capacity.