[MOD] Interesting Terrains [WIP]

Show off your mod creations or just a work in progress.
haloterm

Re: [MOD] Interesting Terrains [WIP]

Post by haloterm »

Does this mod already work with 0.10.25a?

I ask because I get very very strange terrain spikes and "towers" when the mod is enabled. I disabled Distant Terrain.

monobelisk

Post by monobelisk »

haloterm wrote: Sun Sep 20, 2020 3:56 pm Does this mod already work with 0.10.25a?

I ask because I get very very strange terrain spikes and "towers" when the mod is enabled. I disabled Distant Terrain.
It runs on 0.10.25a, but the currently released version is only supported for 0.10.24. But can you tell me approximately where in the world you see those glitches? I'll then keep a watch out for that area as I work on the mod :)

haloterm

Post by haloterm »

monobelisk wrote: Tue Sep 22, 2020 6:54 am
haloterm wrote: Sun Sep 20, 2020 3:56 pm Does this mod already work with 0.10.25a?

It runs on 0.10.25a, but the currently released version is only supported for 0.10.24. But can you tell me approximately where in the world you see those glitches? I'll then keep a watch out for that area as I work on the mod :)
Actually everywhere, Daggerfall City, Betnik ... but if the released version does not support 0.10.25a or now 0.10.26 yet, I guess this is the reason.

monobelisk

Post by monobelisk »

haloterm wrote: Tue Sep 22, 2020 8:37 am Actually everywhere, Daggerfall City, Betnik ... but if the released version does not support 0.10.25a or now 0.10.26 yet, I guess this is the reason.
Actually, that shouldn't have anything to do with it. I've tested the mod on both 0.10.25a and 0.10.26 (and several versions in-between) and haven't experienced anything like that. May I ask what other mods you have enabled, if any? Perhaps this is the result of an undiscovered conflict. Also, are you using the Windows, Mac or Linux version?

haloterm

Post by haloterm »

monobelisk wrote: Wed Sep 23, 2020 8:43 am
haloterm wrote: Tue Sep 22, 2020 8:37 am Actually everywhere, Daggerfall City, Betnik ... but if the released version does not support 0.10.25a or now 0.10.26 yet, I guess this is the reason.
Actually, that shouldn't have anything to do with it. I've tested the mod on both 0.10.25a and 0.10.26 (and several versions in-between) and haven't experienced anything like that. May I ask what other mods you have enabled, if any? Perhaps this is the result of an undiscovered conflict. Also, are you using the Windows, Mac or Linux version?
I am using the latest Windows version from the Nexus with 0.10.26 now.

Even when I disable all mods but Interesting Terrains (disable in the settings, not delete them) it does not work as I'd expect it to work -- very crude strange terrain everywhere. :(

monobelisk

Post by monobelisk »

haloterm wrote: Wed Sep 23, 2020 12:25 pm I am using the latest Windows version from the Nexus with 0.10.26 now.

Even when I disable all mods but Interesting Terrains (disable in the settings, not delete them) it does not work as I'd expect it to work -- very crude strange terrain everywhere. :(
Disabling them in settings should be perfectly adequate. But this is truly baffling! At this time, the best I can come up with is the usual developer excuse that using version 0.10.26 from the live builds page, with nothing else than Interesting Terrains 0.4 for Windows, it works on my machine.

My suspicion is that, for some reason, the shader code in the mod gets executed in a faulty manner, which could indicate a driver issue. Could I persuade you to do a test run in OpenGL mode? The way to do that is:
  1. Open the DFunity folder (where DaggerfallUnity.exe is)
  2. Make a shortcut of DaggerfallUnity.exe
  3. Right click the shortcut and go to Properties
  4. In the "Target" box (the topmost box), add a space in the end, followed by this exact text:

Code: Select all

-force-opengl
    So if the content looked like this before:

"C:\DFUnity\DaggerfallUnity.exe"
    ..it should now look like this:

"C:\DFUnity\DaggerfallUnity.exe" -force-opengl
  5. Hit Apply and/or OK, then run the game using the shortcut and see if the problems are still there
If the problem is still there, you can also try swapping

-force-opengl
with

-force-d3d11
..as your game may default to OpenGL for some reason.

haloterm

Post by haloterm »

monobelisk wrote: Wed Sep 23, 2020 1:08 pm If the problem is still there
Thank you for the suggestions. I tried both parameters, to no avail. The first screenshot is showing with forced OpenGL, the 2nd screenshot with forced DirectX 11:

monobelisk

Post by monobelisk »

haloterm wrote: Wed Sep 23, 2020 2:14 pm Thank you for the suggestions. I tried both parameters, to no avail.
Edit: actually, first off, could you try to start the game, then from the startup menu go to Advanced options and check whether the option "Allow Custom Assets" is enabled?

Ah, I think I was on the wrong track - this looks like the noise generator parameters (an .ini file embedded within the mod) didn't get loaded, and everything defaults to their initial values which, as you can tell, aren't anywhere near where they should be. But the question then is: why?

Could you attach the game's log file? Perhaps that can shed some more light on the mystery. To get the log file, make sure the last time you played any version of the game was with Interesting Terrains enabled, then hit Windows+R, paste the following into the box and hit Enter:

%userprofile%\appdata\locallow\Daggerfall Workshop\Daggerfall Unity
It's the file called Player.log - feel free to PM it to me instead, if you prefer not sharing it here :)

haloterm

Post by haloterm »

monobelisk wrote: Wed Sep 23, 2020 2:46 pm It's the file called Player.log - feel free to PM it to me instead, if you prefer not sharing it here :)
Here you are:
Player.zip
(9.92 KiB) Downloaded 97 times
This is something terrain related I noted in the log:
WARNING: Shader Unsupported: 'Hidden/Nature/Terrain/Utilities' - All passes removed
WARNING: Shader Did you use #pragma only_renderers and omit this platform?
ERROR: Shader Hidden/Nature/Terrain/Utilities shader is not supported on this GPU (none of subshaders/fallbacks are suitable)
DFTFU 1.8.9: Time to init player terrain: 253ms
The GPU I use is the NVidia GTX960 which runs DX11 fine.

monobelisk

Post by monobelisk »

haloterm wrote: Wed Sep 23, 2020 5:47 pm Here you are:

Player.zip

This is something terrain related I noted in the log:
WARNING: Shader Unsupported: 'Hidden/Nature/Terrain/Utilities' - All passes removed
WARNING: Shader Did you use #pragma only_renderers and omit this platform?
ERROR: Shader Hidden/Nature/Terrain/Utilities shader is not supported on this GPU (none of subshaders/fallbacks are suitable)
DFTFU 1.8.9: Time to init player terrain: 253ms
The GPU I use is the NVidia GTX960 which runs DX11 fine.
Thank you :)

The warnings and errors you refer to are unrelated to Interesting Terrains and inconsequential. Going through the log, I didn't notice anything unusual, unfortunately. And your GPU should most definitely be able to run the mod just fine.

Did you notice the edit I made in my last post about checking whether the "Allow Custom Assets" option is enabled? I added it quite a bit later, when that thought occurred to me, so that's my bad if not.