[MOD]Ambidexterity Module (Shield Module Branch)

Show off your mod creations or just a work in progress.
l3lessed

Re: [MOD]Ambidexterity Module (Shield Module Branch)

Post by l3lessed »

Sweet. The users constantly mentioned how good the artwork fits into the original game. I can't wait to see all the rest.

Now that I have a basic Dawnbreaker shield scripted and setup, I was going to try to make a special Dawnbreaker version of the kite shield by taking your kite shield, shifting the color scale to a yellow/gold style like dwemer metal, and then swap out the leather handle for a Dwemer bracket of some type. Just need a quest pack setup for players to earn it in a lore friendly way.

Yeah, I was pretty pissed. Stormed around cussing for good 30 minutes. I know I could of got another 2 to 3 years out of my i5 with pushing my OC numbers up slowly to compete, and was wanting to wait for the next large tech cycle to upgrade. Oh well, get an early upgrade I guess.

Now to hope my governments attack on my own postal service won't screw with my delivery, and if it will arrive.

As long as I didn't loose my script files, I can handle the set back. If I lost my script files with all the coding I did, I will be really frustrated at what a massive set back that will be.

Now you got me freaked out though. I need to go home and hook up my data drive and see if I can pull all my script files off it today and back them up on a cloud.
My Daggerfall Mod Github: l3lessed DFU Mod Github

My Beth Mods: l3lessed Nexus Page

Daggerfall Unity mods: Combat Overhaul Mod

Enjoy the free work I'm doing? Consider lending your support.

l3lessed

Post by l3lessed »

Well, it's been a crazy month for me, not including the world. Outside my state (California) being a giant fire ball, I had a few major health scares. I went in to get checked up for a ankle surgery I am having, and they found a liver tumor and some colon polyps. At 35, not the best thing.Great news, though, I caught it early so I should be good. Polyps gone, liver tumor came back benign.

Computer is rebuilt, with a watercooled I7 3.6 overclocked to a mean 5gig, and some ddr4 cosair OC'ed vengence ram. Data was all good on the none SSD drive, so good news there too.

I went back to coding this some more last night to get back into it again. I discovered C#'s cool Queue <T> class, and spent about an hour rewriting my input keycode to use a proper Queue class with a while switch and deltatimer. This both cleans up the keyinput class I created by remove an over-dependence on bool switches and cleans up the update class by allowing me to move the attack code blocks into there own classes and then Queue them up into my Queue class. Now we have a true combo/power attack framework in place.

Still hammering out some bugs, adding mod setting options, and fixing the were beast sprite attack animations to do proper left, right fist attacks.

When I get my ankle reconstruction this Thursday, I'll have four weeks of laying in bed, with no work and time to kill. I'll probably hammer this out during that time.

Once that is done, onto the last phase of coding all my previous combat overhaul coded engine concepts/demos into the mod. Hit arcs, object hit detection with recoil, weapon reaches, weapon speeds, movement modifiers for stances/states, and more.

l3lessed

Post by l3lessed »

Holy crap is ankle reconstruction painful. :shock:

But, I have managed my pain enough and got tired of distracting myself on modded fo4, so I opened up the scripts and did some bug smashing.

All equip states and the myriad of corresponding attack, shield, and parry states and their animations are in and functioning without any animation overlay issues or animation timer bleeding/overlap glitching.

Just need to clean up fist animation rects, so we don't look like we have two right hands and ensure all var states are reset on a fresh game load, and I think stable release.

Back to my recovery.

MasonFace

Post by MasonFace »

Oh wow! Sounds like you really have had a rough month! I wish you much luck on your recovery!

Oh, and yeah the Queue <T> class is pretty handy!

l3lessed

Post by l3lessed »

One more step done.

All rects are setup, offset, and aligned to mimic vanilla animations for both left and right hands, no matter the weapon, including werebeasts. Also, all rects are flipped properly to ensure no double left/right handiness looks.

Need to get in the equip show weapon delay into my main script manager for all the sub-scripts to mimic the vanilla weapon equip show delays, setup more mod settings (like realistic offhand weapon selects, differing timing settings, mainhand or ambidexterity mode, ect.)

I had to completely rebuild the werebeast idle code and rects to allow two different sprites to be used at the same time because the default daggerfall uses a single sprite to create the two hand appearance. It is done though, so now when you attack, the non-attack hand will stay present in screen. This will also allow each hand to have its own bob and other custom animations I plan to add to this mod.

Few more nights of coding, and I should have a release dropped.

Here is the current script architecture
  • AmbidexterityManager.cs: Main script the controls all sub-scripts, like each weapon control script and the shield script. Also connects the mod console and settings.
    • FPSShield.cs: My Shield Module script, which was hooked up to AmbidexterityManager. Sets up and controls the fps shield.
    • OffHandFPSWeapon.cs: My rebuilt fpsweapon script, but with the rects carefully reversed, to be used as an offhand weapon. This is hooked up to AmbidexterityManager.
    • AltFPSWeapon.cs: My rebuilt fpsweapon script. This is hooked up to AmbidexterityManager.
    • AmbidexterityFormulaHelper.cs: A recodded version of the AttackDamageCalculator Formula for the mod. Connects to and is loaded by AmbidexterityManager.
    • AmbidexterityConsole.cs: Basic console I plan to expand on. Connects to and is loaded by AmbidexterityManager.
    • ShieldExpansion.cs: Basic expansion script that recreates dawnbreaker, with the ward and magic resist effect. Is used to show modders how easy it is to create custom expansions and shields for my mod.
Going to move to 10.26. Once I have a stable release, I will look into making this into a stand alone .dll so I can use enums and other features.

The one thing I will not have in first releases is drag attacking. I need to look into if I need to rebuild it from scratch, or if I can hijack the base fpsweapon weapon attack state for all attack triggers(Offhand and main).

l3lessed

Post by l3lessed »

Weapon switching and equip delays are in. Still discovering small bugs here and there as I continue this, but I feel I'm getting close to smashing the majority of breaking ones I keep finding.

Being able to easily swap between your offhand and main hand weapon the the fly will be more important for immersion players. There will be an option to choose a handiness (main/off hand or ambidexterity). Ambidexterity will penalize you equally on both hands when duel wielding, Choosing a normal main hand/offhand setup will penalize you less on a main weapon hand, but will penalize you more on the off hand weapon when duel wielding.

Also, once individual weapon lengths are in and hit object detection is in, like in my custom branch, being able to switch to your shorter offhand weapons for your main hand weapon in confined dungeons and buildings will be all the more critical. No longer will you be able to easily throw around a massive two-hander in a cramped little hallway or room without hitting walls and roofs with your blade.

l3lessed

Post by l3lessed »

Put in realistic duel wielding code and setting. When enabled, it won't allow you to grab anything larger than a broadsword/arming sword for your offhand. This mimics historical documentation on duel wield fighting.

So, can't duel wield katanas or long swords.

I allow up to broadswords, because there is historical documentation of fighters using dual arming swords in fights. It wasn't a method accepted in large scale battles, but in one on one, smaller fights, and tournaments, there are records of this. It required a different stance, where the off-hand weapon is above the head, out of the way of the main-hand weapon, and ready to parry or counter attack.

I'm unsure though if I should allow it still. Broadsword is a generic term created after the time period and doesn't actually refer to any specific weapon, and the broadsword depicted in the game is very clearly one of the larger one handed swords historically and in the game.

Any thoughts on how offhand weapons should be limited?

https://historicalfightingguide.tumblr. ... ieldcaseof

Now need to put in a custom melee parry animations. I am going to allow blocking of melee attacks with melee parries, and anything else will still damage you.

I need to do more playtesting, but I think I've tracked down and hammered out all the large bugs and issues, just need to finish a few settings and features.

l3lessed

Post by l3lessed »

Okay, I think I have a release version.

However, before I setup the nexus page and documentation, I want to have some people with more hours playtest the mod. I'm afraid with how much I'm replacing in the FPSWeapon and Weaponmanager script may be causing bugs some where down the line I'm not finding.

The only known 3 bugs at this moment are listed below:
  • Downright attack animation for the offhand is misaligned, which shows the art clipping border on the first frame.
  • Parry animation shows slight artwork clipping for certain weapons. This is a result of the devs never expecting the artwork to move on screen. I'll fix this through some offsetting or an updated parry animation.
  • Input manager routine has a state stuck bug. Every now and then, it won't clear the input que and will cause a parry when initiating a new attack.
I'm setting up a permanent repo that contains all my mods, their assets, and the compiled dfmod file. You can download the dev release version of ambidexterity mod from this repo.

l3lesseds MOD Hub

You can find the mod and the script files in the repo. The MOD has been prepackaged into an easily installable Rar file for you. Merely download it and extra the contents into your Streaming Asset folder, and you have the use of both hands now, including shields.

If you find any bugs, or you have any code change/updates to recommend, please post them on here for me. Thanks, and I hope you enjoy the mod.

Once release version is out, on to integrating smooth animations and other goodies from my combat overhaul project.
Last edited by l3lessed on Mon Oct 05, 2020 5:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Midknightprince

Post by Midknightprince »

I'm giving this ago, looks amazing..
Sorry to hear about your pc, but that story sounds pretty cool (I like the new specs :D ), and here's hoping your medical stuff works out.
I'll be playing this thing hardcore with mods, until I break it, and if I don't all the better - I'll let you know..
Check out my YouTube Channel!

Midknightprince

Post by Midknightprince »

The Dodge module is not showing up in the launcher
Check out my YouTube Channel!