Mod Ideas - For myself!

Talk about the mods you'd like to see in Daggerfall Unity. Give mod creators some ideas!
joshcamas

Mod Ideas - For myself!

Post by joshcamas »

I'm jumping into modding, so I've decided to make a list of mod ideas that I want to make. If anyone likes a specific mod, or has their own mod ideas, please tell me! I am also unsure of what mods are actually possible, so some of these may not be doable. A lot of these are quality of life tweaks. This is really just a huge list of ideas I will probably never get to xD

Completed (Better Ambience)

1) Camera Shake - Adds a small bit of camera shake to the camera when getting hit
2) Better Footsteps - Adds more footstep sounds
3) FoggyDungeons - Adds random fog to dungeons! (Color and thickness), as well as a few additional effects when in dungeons
4) Dungeon Reverb - Adds a simple reverb zone when in dungeons

Better Dungeon Themes
This is an idea involving making dungeons more interesting. It would interact with my Better Ambience mod to modify fog, as well as add other effects. Swapping out dungeon textures would be especially cool, but I'm not an artist so I would need to find one :) Interacting with Climates and Calories would also make things especially fun!
1) Volcano - Red fog, volcano sounds, smoke, lava, brown caves (brown tinted cave texture) <- This would require a lot of changes to built in dungeons, bad idea?
2) Cold (New) - Blue fog, cold monsters, cold wind sounds
3) Spider Den - Spider Webs, green fog, brown tunnels/caves (poisony), spidery sounds
4) Prison - Random fog, chains, screaming in the distance
5) Dark (New)- Barely any torches, very dim ambient lighting. You'll need to carry a torch!
6) Laboratory - Random fog, screams in background, chains, banging on walls, scratching on walls
7) Natural Cave - Dripping water, bat sounds, crumbling rock
8) Giant Stronghold - yellow fog, giant sounds

Other Ideas
1) Quit to Main Menu - Adds a button to quit to the main menu
2) Streamlined Casting - Adds the option to cast a spell with left mouse click, and cancel the spell with right mouse click
3) Loiter buttons - Instead of having to type 1-3 when loitering, just have 3 buttons (1, 2, 3)
4) Dungeon Ambience - Adds more dungeon ambient sounds, such as dripping water
5) Overworld Ambience - Adds more overworld ambience, such as birds, wind, tree rustling
6) Boosted Enemies - Random chance to spawn a "boosted" variant of a enemy - this enemy would have some sort of particle effect, and of course be a lot stronger.
7) Quickslot - Add a quickslot menu that lets you... well, quickly switch between weapons and even spells
8) Enemy Health Bar - I know there's a mod that adds a healthbar above all enemies, but I'd like one that adds a bar more like Skyrims (Single bar from last hit npc), or possibly morrowind (Single bar, but next to the player's bars)
9) Third person view - this would just show the player's paperdoll in the scene. You wouldn't be able to move around in this mode, just move the camera. Meant for roleplaying + screenshots, mostly. Having a depth of field effect toggle would also be pretty cool :))
Last edited by joshcamas on Wed Sep 30, 2020 12:51 am, edited 11 times in total.

N_Molson

Re: Mod Ideas - For myself!

Post by N_Molson »

1) Camera Shake - Adds a small bit of camera shake to the camera when getting hit
I played the original Daggerfall quite a lot, and I'm pretty sure the camera was moving when you were hit (I remember not being able to see a thing because one of the KoW zombies-courriers took 3/4 of my hitpoints in one slash). The more damage you received the worse was the shake. I bet that this feature will be back in DFU as an option in the "final" release.

Hazelnut

Post by Hazelnut »

There is a camera recoiller component in DFU, maybe it's not working or you have it switched off?
See my mod code for examples of how to change various aspects of DFU: https://github.com/ajrb/dfunity-mods

joshcamas

Post by joshcamas »

The camera shake is quite weak currently, hence the mod. :) It allows for tweaking of shake power / fades, and switching between health mode (shake strength depends on damage/health) or a flat shake.

l3lessed

Post by l3lessed »

These look cool. I wouldn't mind seeing the camera shake and, if you wouldn't mind, adding it to combat overhaul, so we don't replicate work. I think that is a cool needed immersion addition to combat, especially with blocking and parry mechanisms now in.

As for the active spell casting, you may want to hold off. That was a planned part of my combat overhaul project. I was going to redo the combat system, and animations with it, to create a modern Skyrim based spell system, or as close to it as I could. This would include making spells work more like equippable weapons, including clicking, holding, and releasing attack key to do all activation and casting based on spell type and strength.

Love the ideas and work.
My Daggerfall Mod Github: l3lessed DFU Mod Github

My Beth Mods: l3lessed Nexus Page

Daggerfall Unity mods: Combat Overhaul Mod

Enjoy the free work I'm doing? Consider lending your support.

pango

Post by pango »

Please build your mods for all supported platforms (Windows, OS X, Linux)
Unless the same build works for all platforms, but then it would be better to tell it does? (I'm not sure how/if that's supported on Nexus)
Mastodon: @pango@fosstodon.org
When a measure becomes a target, it ceases to be a good measure.
-- Charles Goodhart

joshcamas

Post by joshcamas »

Uploaded a new mod, Better Footsteps! It adds more varied (and louder) footsteps, as well as armor shuffling if you're wearing any armor. In the future I hope to make enemies also make footsteps as well :)

https://www.nexusmods.com/daggerfallunity/mods/136

TheLacus

Post by TheLacus »

Hi!

Please when you have time check how to submit mods for Daggerfall Unity to Nexu Mods, right now they aren't setup optimally. ;)

joshcamas

Post by joshcamas »

Thanks for the tip! I believe I fixed everything :)) Also, added foggy dungeon mod!

joshcamas

Post by joshcamas »

I'm currently considering combining all of my mods together into one - Better Ambience. I think this would make everyone's lives easier! If I do this, should I delete the old mods from nexus, or just put in bold letters to download Better Ambience instead?

EDIT: Here's the combo mod: Better Ambience. Please tell me if I should delete the old mods!