Low poly models

Talk about the mods you'd like to see in Daggerfall Unity. Give mod creators some ideas!
Herowho

Low poly models

Post by Herowho »

I'm not really expecting anyone to be into this idea besides me, but here goes.

I was wondering if a low poly/quality counterpart to the Handpainted Models mod. I like the Handpainted Models mod, but I found myself liking some of the lower poly models more than the higher poly models. I thought it would be cool if more of the models and textures resembled the look of games like Shadowgate 64 or Castlevania64, or maybe even Hexen II. I'm not looking for NPCs or enemies to have 3D models, they could probably fit in enough with their vanilla looks, but things like items on the ground and shelves, again, like the Handpainted Models but consistently lower poly and with "not as high" quality textures.

I understand if no one wants to work on something like this. I think I'm one of like, 4 people that dig the specific graphic fidelity of certain N64 games, ones that usually use the N64 Expansion pack.

King of Worms

Re: Low poly models

Post by King of Worms »

I think this should go to the Handpainted Models thread. There someone might pick that idea up maybe? Just a guess... I saw one person was there offering his skills lately.

Herowho

Post by Herowho »

Alright, I moved this post over there. Should I delete this topic?

Blue Footed Booby

Post by Blue Footed Booby »

Since the topic's still open, I'd just like to say I agree with you, OP. I've found that attempts to seriously update games as old as Daggerfall often fall into a kind of graphical "uncanny valley" where they end up inadvertently highlighting how good the rest of the graphics aren't. You replace the models with high poly versions, the walls look crappy. You replace all the wall textures then the level geometry looks plain.

Honestly, I'd prefer more pixelated real grass and enhanced sky. Maybe I'm just being nostalgic for classic adventure games with their gloriously pixelated painted 256 color backdrops.

Ralzar

Post by Ralzar »

Agreed. Personally I don't use any grapahic enhanchments because while impressive I don't feel they really wind up with a result that looks like a proper modern game. If DFU could get 3D models for most of the flats, but low poly that fit the style of the game that would be fantastic.

imsobadatnicknames

Post by imsobadatnicknames »

Agreed. I like Handpainted Models' idea of replacing most scenery flats with 3D objects, but they just end up looking a little too nice compared to the rest of my graphics, as I still use the vanilla textures, so I think replacing them with suitably low-poly models is a great idea.

I'd actually love to contribute to this project. I have some experience with 3D modelling, (though mostly for engineering and industrial design, not for art or videogames). The only problem is that I've never really done any sort of texture work and I don't even know where to start learning about that.

For what it's worth, here's a quick mockup I just threw together in SoldWorks of a low-poly tresure pile contaning a few gold coins and a potion. Took me exactly 2 minutes and 27 seconds and I think it looks pretty decent.

Last edited by imsobadatnicknames on Sun Aug 23, 2020 8:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Released mods: https://www.nexusmods.com/users/5141135 ... files&BH=0
Daggerfall isn't the only ridiculously intrincate fantasy world simulator with the initials DF that I make mods for: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=177071.0

Hazelnut

Post by Hazelnut »

I suspect it's the hi-res textures more than the poly count that's causing the incongruity. Are you using DREAM as well as HP models?
See my mod code for examples of how to change various aspects of DFU: https://github.com/ajrb/dfunity-mods

imsobadatnicknames

Post by imsobadatnicknames »

Hazelnut wrote: Sun Aug 23, 2020 7:33 pm I suspect it's the hi-res textures more than the poly count that's causing the incongruity. Are you using DREAM as well as HP models?
I used to use DREAM but ended up deactivating it when I installed VIO becaise VIO's lo-res sprites looked super out of place when placed besides DREAM's hi-res sprites. And then I ended up deactivating Handpainted Models because they looked super out of place compared to everything else :p

Still, I think a mod that replaces flats like lamps, treasure piles, etc. with low poly models with low-res textures that fit the style of the vanilla game is an idea worth pursuing.
Released mods: https://www.nexusmods.com/users/5141135 ... files&BH=0
Daggerfall isn't the only ridiculously intrincate fantasy world simulator with the initials DF that I make mods for: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=177071.0

joshcamas

Post by joshcamas »

Yep, I think the high res stuff of dream just doesn't fit the rest of the game. I think it'd be a lot smarter to put our focus on making daggerfall look good in the simplified context, aka low poly. I'm currently developing a lowpoly RPG, and I think lowpoly can be used to display some really nice detail if done well: