[MOD] Interesting Terrains [WIP]

Show off your mod creations or just a work in progress.
haloterm

Re: [MOD] Interesting Terrains [WIP]

Post by haloterm »

monobelisk wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 8:46 am The warnings and errors you refer to are unrelated to Interesting Terrains and inconsequential. Going through the log, I didn't notice anything unusual, unfortunately. And your GPU should most definitely be able to run the mod just fine.

Did you notice the edit I made in my last post about checking whether the "Allow Custom Assets" option is enabled? I added it quite a bit later, when that thought occurred to me, so that's my bad if not.
Thanks for checking!

Yes, Allow Custom Assets is always enabled.

Hm, could you maybe add some additional logging outputs to your mod, so we can see more detailed what it does and what not?

monobelisk

Post by monobelisk »

haloterm wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 9:35 am Thanks for checking!

Yes, Allow Custom Assets is always enabled.

Hm, could you maybe add some additional logging outputs to your mod, so we can see more detailed what it does and what not?
No problem - thank you for assisting me in solving the issue :)

Good, just had to be sure.

That's a good idea. I've attached an altered version that should consistently log the same values every time the assets are correctly loaded. This time it's the file called output_log.txt that I'm interested in.
Attachments
InterestingTerrains_0.4.0-assetlogging_win.zip
(604.29 KiB) Downloaded 75 times

Midknightprince

Post by Midknightprince »

I'm getting the lag spikes too..
Don't know what it is, but when I take this out it stops, and I tested pretty much every mod with it..
And I'm not saying what it is, it just bumps every 2 or 3 seconds with this one enabled..and yes I have tried it with no mods also..
I've also started several new chars with different mod setups-same thing..
Just something, hope this helps (great mod)
Check out my YouTube Channel!

haloterm

Post by haloterm »

monobelisk wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 3:33 pm This time it's the file called output_log.txt that I'm interested in.
Thanks, downloaded and tried.

I'm not sure, but the output_log.txt in my folder was changed the last time in June 2020 -- not sure if your mod adds data to it? When I remove output_log.txt, it is not created newly when run (using DFU 0.10.26a)

monobelisk

Post by monobelisk »

haloterm wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 4:37 pm
monobelisk wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 3:33 pm This time it's the file called output_log.txt that I'm interested in.
Thanks, downloaded and tried.

I'm not sure, but the output_log.txt in my folder was changed the last time in June 2020 -- not sure if your mod adds data to it? When I remove output_log.txt, it is not created newly when run (using DFU 0.10.26a)
That's really weird, because I didn't see any of the log outputs in Player.log, but saw them in output_log.txt. But I suppose it's Player.log I'm interested in after all - whichever was modified the last time you played :lol:

haloterm

Post by haloterm »

monobelisk wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 5:20 pm That's really weird, because I didn't see any of the log outputs in Player.log, but saw them in output_log.txt. But I suppose it's Player.log I'm interested in after all - whichever was modified the last time you played :lol:
Here you are again:
Player.zip
(16.5 KiB) Downloaded 87 times
I noticed it has some entries about your .ini file.

monobelisk

Post by monobelisk »

Midknightprince wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 3:52 pm I'm getting the lag spikes too..
Don't know what it is, but when I take this out it stops, and I tested pretty much every mod with it..
And I'm not saying what it is, it just bumps every 2 or 3 seconds with this one enabled..and yes I have tried it with no mods also..
Hmm, there's nothing in the code that should produce lag spikes, except (on some systems) when new terrain is being generated (and the lag produced by that should be negligible, compared to the already existing terrain generation lag, except perhaps on older or integrated GPU's). But just so I know more in depth what the issue is:

Does the lag happen consistently every 2-3 seconds, regardless of what you're doing in the game?

Does the lag happen both indoors and outdoors, or just outdoors?

Does it start as soon as the game is loaded, or does it build up?

Are there no other mods that produce a similar lag, if they're the only mod enabled?

Midknightprince

Post by Midknightprince »

monobelisk wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 5:39 pm
Midknightprince wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 3:52 pm I'm getting the lag spikes too..
Hmm, there's nothing in the code that should produce lag spikes, except (on some systems) when new terrain is being generated (and the lag produced by that should be negligible, compared to the already existing terrain generation lag, except perhaps on older or integrated GPU's). But just so I know more in depth what the issue is:

Does the lag happen consistently every 2-3 seconds, regardless of what you're doing in the game?

Does the lag happen both indoors and outdoors, or just outdoors?

Does it start as soon as the game is loaded, or does it build up?

Are there no other mods that produce a similar lag, if they're the only mod enabled?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ct2SK9QWpiM&t=25s go to 16:30, it's got the frames and the dips..
Yes, you can just be standing there.
I5 2300 win10x64 16 gigs @1333, gforce gtx1050tioc..maybe it's my old school hard drive, I don't have an SSD.

It gets stable frames when I take it out, that's all I really know..
Check out my YouTube Channel!

monobelisk

Post by monobelisk »

haloterm wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 5:29 pm Here you are again:

Player.zip

I noticed it has some entries about your .ini file.

Yeah, I'm basically dumping the entire .ini file in the log, so that I can verify that it was loaded correctly. So that's on purpose. And it does get loaded correctly. So I've made a new version (the "paramlogging" file) which logs checksums of the loaded parameters, before and after they're loaded, and every time a terrain generation process is using them. This would allow me to clarify once and for all whether the issue is caused by faulty parameters. But, yeah, you know the drill :lol:

I've also attached two extra files (the "testbuild" files). They are the exact same version of the mod, only built specifically for 0.10.26 rather than 0.10.24. One of them is using the new (experimental) precompile feature. I'd be interested to see if any of those work - no logfiles necessary, just a quick "does it work or not" :) (I probably should've tried this much earlier)
Midknightprince wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 6:49 pm https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ct2SK9QWpiM&t=25s go to 16:30, it's got the frames and the dips..
Yes, you can just be standing there.
I5 2300 win10x64 16 gigs @1333, gforce gtx1050tioc..maybe it's my old school hard drive, I don't have an SSD.

It gets stable frames when I take it out, that's all I really know..
Your specs are definitely up to the task, and SSD vs HDD shouldn't matter - everything gets loaded into memory when the game starts.

I'll admit that I'm baffled by this. On my end I'm able to run it consistently at 60fps without lags, with or without the mod enabled. Just to try something, could you try running one of the 0.10.26 versions I've attached and see if the lag is still there?
Attachments
interestingterrains_0.10.26_testbuild_regular.zip
(596.52 KiB) Downloaded 81 times
interestingterrains_0.10.26_testbuild_precompiled.zip
(597.55 KiB) Downloaded 77 times
InterestingTerrains_0.4.0-paramlogging_win.zip
(604.52 KiB) Downloaded 78 times

haloterm

Post by haloterm »

monobelisk wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 2:14 pm But, yeah, you know the drill :lol:

I've also attached two extra files (the "testbuild" files).
Thanks for further investigation!

Tested both extra files first, no difference to previous official version. What I noticed is that the terrain generated in both test runs was slightly different. One time, I had some water beneath my feet, the other time I didn't. Is the terrain supposed to be different in each playthrough?

And here's the paramlogging player.log:
Player.zip
(15.36 KiB) Downloaded 84 times